Wednesday 9 March 2016

"Star of Kings" Special Comedy Night

Comedy. There are so many comedy gigs in London.. curiously, for all the comedy gigs I go to, and all the London for Less Than a Tenner things that I go to, they never coincided.. until last night, in the form of a comedy night at the Star of Kings. The Man with the Hat explained that this was in aid of the MTI Syria Refugee Relief Appeal - all good. And so was the line-up, generally.. I'm very picky with comedy, but for this group, I'm always inclined to take a risk. So I booked - it was free entry, but he was taking a small fee, part of which was being donated, part to cover costs. Oh, go on then..

No way was I driving up there - for one thing, it'd take ages. I was working from home, so naturally, with all the time in the world, I ended up rushing. Same drill as the day before - train to Vauxhall or Victoria, then the Victoria Line. As usual, the next train I was likely to catch was headed to Vauxhall - boy, was I to regret that decision. As I entered Vauxhall Underground station, an announcement informed us that there were severe delays on the Victoria Line - broken-down train at Oxford Circus. I dithered about whether to go straight back to the mainline station and get a train to somewhere else I could catch a different Tube line - but after a few minutes, a Victoria Line train arrived. And we sat on it. And then the announcement came that the entire line was shut, south of King's Cross - which is where I was headed.

London does have a wonderfully intricate transport network - there's always an alternative. Mine involved traipsing back up to the mainline station, taking a train to Waterloo, Jubilee Line to Green Park, long trek through the corridors to the Piccadilly Line. Thank goodness the daily Oyster fare is capped, and the whole thing cost no more than the day before..

Of course, I took the wrong exit from King's Cross, and ended up on the other side of the road. Hey-ho, I got to York Way eventually, and past King's Place, to the Star of Kings. Found the front door, had a scout around for the Comedy Grotto, which I knew was downstairs. Was just about to trot off down the stairs - but was delayed by a whole stream of persons coming the other way! Huh..? And at the end of the stream was the omnipresent Man with the Hat, who directed me downstairs and to a seat, with some story about how they'd all been scared off.. (Actually, I gather there was another Meetup there last night, and they were on the wrong floor.)


Sure enough, being comedy, it started late - but I still didn't have time to grab a drink before they got underway. MC for the evening was Stuart Laws. First up was a last-minute replacement, Nish Kumar, whom I saw before at the Boat Show. Rapid-fire, excellent observation - as before - he took us through slavery, gentrification, and social media. As he helpfully summarised at the end. Weird to have this bigger name start the show, but what the hey.

To be followed by Rachel Parris.. she was the other one I'd seen before, at the Circus Show of all things, where she played piano and sang humorous songs. She's good with or without a piano, I see.. although I am reminded of her starring moment in that other show, when some beefy individual hopped onstage during her set - presumably to request something. He was rapidly hustled off by bouncers, but didn't take it too well; he and his girlfriend/wife/significant other promptly finished their drinks, grabbed their coats and left. Making sure to cross the stage as they did so, each giving her the finger in the process. Ah, the exciting life of a stand-up.. best response to a heckler that I've seen, she immediately composed and performed a little ditty entitled "Did You Just Give Me the Finger?" or words to that effect. Last night though, no piano and no hecklers.. just a book, with clippings in it.

They were the last I'd seen before. Next up was Jamie Fraser, one of those relative newbies that keep touring the circuit. Plenty of audience interaction - beware if sitting in the two front rows! And the rather excellent Matt Winning took us to the break - one of those people who, when he has nothing to say, can still make you laugh just by looking at you sideways. Such a handy talent for a comedian..

Interval - time for drinkies! Some of us made our way upstairs - the bar downstairs wasn't serving, sadly. My wine came in a snifter, but was perfectly drinkable..  and we chatted until it seemed time to go down again.

The second half started with an extended blurb by our friendly MC - about puffins. We are now all much better informed. Next was Andrea Hubert, who caused some ripples in the audience when she gave us the sign language for abortion. Followed by the winner of Weirdest Act of the Night award - Ben Target redefined stand-up comedy by giving us an act that no-one was sure was meant to be funny, as he told us how his friends died. It was funny, how the audience started off laughing and gradually.. stopped.. Personally, I loved it! Act of the night for me - but I'm wired oddly. He had a nice red hoodie too.

Penultimate comic was Alex Kealy, actually the organiser of the event, whose main purpose on stage seemed to be to pass around his laptop so people could put themselves on the mailing  list if they wanted. And we finished with an unusual turn by - tarnation, don't seem to have his name! - but he came on in what might be described as a fluorescent outfit, all clashing neon colours. And read from his spy novel - the likes of which I guarantee you haven't heard before.

An evening of new material, you never know what you're gonna get, but this was a good line-up. They collected - in a vase, rather than a bucket - as we left. And leave we had to, it was unfortunately too late to stay. Bummer - won't be back with them till next week, now.. A cold walk got us back to King's Cross, where the Victoria Line was now working, leading to a much less exciting journey than earlier. Apart from one suspenseful delay at Green Park. Home after bedtime, and a busy morning, meant a slightly delayed post..

Tonight, I'm headed to a Trans-Siberian March Band concert at Rich Mix, with the London European Club - I was interested in going with London Dramatic Arts Meetup, but they're going to the St. James Theatre, whose legroom is a bit tight for me; I did ask whether she had any aisle seats, but by the time she got back to me, I'd found this other event. What the hey, Miss Atomic Bomb didn't sound great anyway.

Tomorrow, I'm back at Rich Mix for a concert by Iness Mezel. - I've signed up for that jointly with London European Club and the World Music Meetup. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.. we're off to the final night of the Clare Drama Festival on Saturday, in my old school - followed by the Crick Crack Club on Monday, who are back at Soho Theatre for an evening of storytelling entitled UniVerse - as ever with these, booking essential; they always sell out. On Tuesday, I'm with Let's Do London - for Less! (the Man with the Hat's other group) again, as they head to Cyrano de Bergerac at Southwark Playhouse - another of the Man with the Hat's preferred venues, and another good one.

On Wednesday, I got a cheap ticket to a concert by the Coppell High School Band, at the Central Hall, Westminster. A new venue for me! Cool, I do like to keep discovering them. On the 17th, Kensington Classical Music is off to a concert by the Trio Isimsiz - you had to get your own ticket, though, then pay extra to join the group at the concert. Huh. I'll avoid them, and the extra charge - have to be discreet though, I believe it's a small room! It's at the 1901 Arts Club - another first for me.

On the 18th, I'm joining Spooky London for their monthly spooky pub night! Wherever it is. If I actually go. And on the 19th, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for an event entitled Seven Princesses - at Rich Mix, which will be my first event there with them.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete