Thursday 3 March 2016

Magical Lantern Festival

Chiswick House and Gardens have a Chinese Lantern Festival at the moment - an installation in the gardens for a couple of weeks. Well, when I was looking for something to do yesterday, I didn't find anything that appealed in my usual sources - Time Out gave me this option. And an offer, too - £13 instead of the normal £16. I booked a late slot, figuring it'd give me more time to get back from Guildford.

They made a point of declaring that it there would be no parking - so I didn't drive, taking instead a quick and direct train from Clapham Junction to Chiswick. Had time to grab a ham & cheese croissant before I got on the train, which took 15 minutes. Leave the station by the main exit (across the tracks from where the train from Clapham Junction drops you), hang a right, keep on the same road, and it'll be on your left. Eventually. Sadly, by this time of the evening, most of the entrances were shut, and I had something of a trek to get to one that was open..

Just through the gate, a cold-looking security guard stood to the left, bidding me a "good evening" as I passed - the only illumination was to the right, so that's the way I went, and as I headed over there, I noticed a dim arrow pointing that way, almost invisible in the near-darkness. There followed something of a long trek along a pathway - reassuring signs for the Magical Lanterns kept appearing, pointing the way I was headed, just as they had on the road leading there. Towards the end of the pathway, I could see glimpses through the trees of what I'd come to see - but the pathway itself led back onto the road! (It's just a slight shortcut). The main entrance was back out on the road, just to the left..

What did I see, just inside the entrance, but a car park?! Mind you, it was rather small, and had everyone parked there it would have been unworkable. Possibly, it was restricted to staff and disabled. Anyway, I finally came to a circular area, with a couple of food stalls and portaloos - the main attraction was now visible past a barrier, and I was perplexed as to how to get at it! After some consideration, I saw the barriers to my right, with people checking tickets. The lady I approached with my Time Out voucher said I'd have to take it to the box office, just over there, and they'd stamp my hand. Which I did - disturbing a poor girl who was slightly embarrassed to be caught in the act of eating a brownie; she stamped my hand, and I was in.

They don't have much by way of signposting once you're in, but there's really only one way to go around - they've blocked off all the side routes. The path is pretty dark, most of the way - but there's really nothing to fall over, and it's pretty flat - although there were some slightly uneven parts, and one bit later on that was a little muddy, and a little slippery. Still, you're unlikely to come to harm..

And the light display is spectacular! Light-lined passageways, avenues of super-sized light features - they give value for money here! Tons to see, varying from cute to surreal.. Much ooh-ing and aah-ing from those on the path with me.. it was busy, but not too crowded. I did overhear a radio message from one staff member to another, asking how many people had passed a certain point in the last few minutes - they are careful with numbers.




More photos here - and thanks so much to Helen for the loan of the camera! The route winds over a bridge, down both sides of the river, and around several features of the garden. Mind you, I nearly froze my hands off taking photos - it was damn cold, and I eventually had to give in and put on my gloves.

It took me a bit over an hour to go around - they also had stalls at the midway point, selling marshmallows, which you could have toasted, and hot chocolate. Sadly, I didn't feel like it until I got back to the entrance / exit, where they had food (mostly curry), but no hot chocolate. And despite the marquee, with long tables and benches inside, that they'd provided for people to eat in, I didn't really fancy any, and just left for the long trek back to the station, the way I'd come. Boy, it's been a while since I had that much exercise.. funnily enough, when I got to the far end of the laneway, the gate was locked! but the guard was still there, and let me out.

Highly recommended - I didn't mind the spotty drizzle at all, and it was well worth the effort: despite the cold! Finishes Sunday - you can get Time Out offers (not as good at the weekends, but no booking fee), you can still get tickets with them for tonight's 8.30 entry, and for most of the 8, 8.15 & 8.30  entries for the next two days. And on the lantern website itself, there's a 25% discount on tickets for tonight - if they have any left!


Tonight should've been London Dramatic Arts (LDAM) - I actually do have a ticket for Hangmen, at the National, which they're going to. But the organiser went into such a sulk over me getting my own ticket for that - honestly, I must've got the last ticket that was cheaper than what she had - which blossomed into a full-blown row over my blog, and posting links to ticket resellers in it.. So she banned me from linking to my blog on her pages, and frankly, when the Man with the Hat advertised The Young Visiters, at the Tabard (with his other group, London for Less Than a Tenner).. I booked that, and am going to that instead. I'd much rather. Pity my other ticket will go to waste, but what the hey. Only thing is, I'm driving from Guildford again, and have to stay a bit later than usual.. pray to the Traffic Gods! ..and the very next thing I must do is look up the driving route, and pray it's not too tricky.

Tomorrow and Saturday are LDAM again. Tomorrow, I'm going with them to The Mother, starring Gina McKee, at The Tricycle.. and on Saturday, to Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, at the National. For the latter, I didn't get my ticket with them - but that's acceptable to her, since her tickets were sold out at the time. So I'm semi-officially going with them. Ironically, they do now have a ticket available, and a better - and cheaper - one than I have. Ah well.

On Sunday, none of my Meetup groups had anything interesting, so I'm piggybacking on an event of the Russians in London group - I don't really want to join the group, but the balalaika concert at Rossotrudnichestvo in Kensington sounds interesting, so I'm going to that solo. On Monday, I'm back with LDAM, for a performance of Uncle Vanya, at the Almeida - their second trip, and a Q&A after.

On Tuesday, I'm back with London for Less Than a Tenner, for a comedy night for a change, at the Star of Kings. Wednesday of next week, I'm headed to a Trans-Siberian March Band concert at Rich Mix, with the London European Club - again, I was interested in going with LDAM that night, but they're going to the St. James Theatre, whose legroom is a bit tight for me; I did ask whether she had any aisle seats, and she said she'd get back to me, but never did. What the hey, Miss Atomic Bomb didn't sound great anyway.

On Thursday of next week, I'm back at Rich Mix for a concert by Iness Mezel. - I've signed up for that jointly with London European Club and the World Music Meetup. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.. we're off to the final night of the Clare Drama Festival on the Saturday, in my old school - followed by the Crick Crack Club on the 14th, who are back at Soho Theatre for an evening of storytelling entitled UniVerse - as ever with these, booking essential; they always sell out. On the 15th, I'm with Let's Do London - for Less! again, as they head to Cyrano de Bergerac at Southwark Playhouse - another of the Man with the Hat's preferred venues, and another good one.

On the 16th, I got a cheap ticket to a concert by the Coppell High School Band, at the Central Hall, Westminster. A new venue for me! Cool, I do like to keep discovering them. On the 17th, Kensington Classical Music is off to a concert by the Trio Isimsiz - you had to get your own ticket, though, then pay extra to join the group at the concert. Huh. I'll avoid them, and the extra charge - have to be discreet though, I believe it's a small room! It's at the 1901 Arts Club - another first for me.

On the 18th, I'm joining Spooky London for their monthly spooky pub night! Wherever it is. If I actually go. And on the 19th, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for an event entitled Seven Princesses - at Rich Mix, which will be my first event there with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment