Friday 4 March 2016

Play: The Young Visiters

Yesterday was one of those interesting days. Originally, I was supposed to go to Hangmen, at the National, with London Dramatic Arts (LDAM). Well, when I say WITH them.. I'd bought my own ticket (must've got the last one that was cheaper than those they had). They'd always been fine with that. Suddenly, they weren't - and a row began, which culminated in members (i.e. me) being banned from posting blog links on their pages. To do with providing links to ticket resellers, y'see.

Well now, all of this left something of a nasty residue. And this was the show that sparked it off. So when the Man with the Hat announced a Meetup for the same night, with London for Less than a Tenner - ooh, I was so there.. sod the ticket that was going to go to waste, I booked with him instead to see The Young Visiters, at the Tabard. And he mentioned free parking.. well now, that'd be handy! and I determined to drive.

A meeting was scheduled for last thing in Guildford, which meant I had to stay late. And I spent most of the afternoon anxiously researching the driving route to and from the theatre. I know just how confusing finding your way in London can be - and driving, you can't stop whenever you feel lost, as you can when you're walking. I printed out maps and directions, I followed the routes on Streetview and added my own notes to the printouts, I determined to have the maps app open on my phone, so I could check where I was if I did get lost. Which I knew I would.

Traffic the day before had been woeful, and I was really worried - but actually, my prayers to the Traffic Gods prevailed, and all the traffic vanished yesterday - I had a clear route, and made great time. I dropped off my boss (no, it's not sucking up, he lives on the way), and prepared myself.. The beginning of the journey saw me getting lost, but at least I was still near streets I knew, and could get myself out of that quite quickly. Then I missed my turn for Putney High Street (not easy if you don't know it!), checked the app when I was stuck in traffic, turned around when I could, back to the junction to take the right route this time. And you know, after that, it was an absolute breeze! Traffic was ok, I'd researched the trouble spots well enough that I knew what I was doing, and whooped with glee as I passed the Tabard. Got parking on a parallel street, and made my way down - shaking slightly from the stress of it all..

Hell, I was even early enough to join them in the bar, where I got my ticket, and we were told that the house was open, and we could bring in drinks. Excellent - I could do with something to steady me. (And they do a rather nice - and reasonably priced - house white, too.! We made our way up the stairs in the courtyard, as someone remarked on the dedication of the Man with the Hat, who, as promised, had now plonked himself outside, at the foot of the stairs, in the cold, to wait for whoever hadn't yet picked up their tickets. Agreed - it's the little things that make the difference, you know? Inside, in the warm, they said yes, we could bring in our drinks, but they'd be most appreciative if we could bring the glasses back down after. I decided to plonk myself in the front row of the theatre - less effort, and I figured I'd be safe enough in the front row with this show. As opposed to some. It's years since I've been here, but seats are still comfy..

Now, this play was written by a 9-year-old, it seems. And before the show started, we were entertained by a recording of a young girl spelling out words. Incorrectly. (Appropriate - see title.) If you looked carefully, you could also see somebody secreted to the side, face covered. This, it transpired, was the narrator - dressed as a little girl, she elucidated what the actors were doing, as the play progressed.

It was delightfully barmy! The play was published almost exactly as written, and you could hear the childish voice coming through, in how her characters were behaving. They played all the exaggerated, childish descriptions for real - and as the actors floundered around the stage, it made for a terrifically funny piece. The narrator was happy to get involved in stage direction, keeping her actors on track, and yes, there was audience interaction - in the front row, we were expected to shake hands with actors, and given wedding invitations (spoiler alert!). And covered in bits of tinfoil (don't ask - but I did manage not to let any in my glass). And I got hit on the head by the wedding bouquet - not sure whether that qualifies as catching it.. But they don't forget the back rows either. Be sure to bring a bottle of water (again, don't ask).

Excellent stuff, and I think I can guarantee I wouldn't have had as much fun at Hangmen. Runs until the 26th, great value, and a nice, friendly pub - recommended. It runs for about 90 minutes without interval - so we had a decent amount of time after.. We repaired to said pub for the rest of the night, found ourselves a table with a bench that had a radiator under it! I can recommend the spicy peanuts, although they also have a full menu. And the conversation ran wild. Things were said, and photos were taken. And what happens in the Tabard.. stays in the Tabard! As ever, the people who come to these things make the most interesting group of people I know.. Looking forward to the next outing.

I was more optimistic about my route home, which took me through places I knew better - West Kensington, North End Road, Fulham. And indeed, that really helped - once I finally figured my way out of Chiswick! It's so much nicer getting lost while driving, when it's the middle of the night - no problem with pulling over to check my directions, no problem with indicating one way and going the other, when no-one's around.. but woah, was I relieved to see Wandsworth roundabout, and know I was nearly home!

Tonight and tomorrow are LDAM again. Tonight, I'm going with them (properly, got my ticket with them n all) to The Mother, starring Gina McKee, at The Tricycle.. and tomorrow, to Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, at the National. For tomorrow's performance, I didn't get my ticket with them - but that's acceptable to her, since her tickets were sold out at the time. So I'm semi-officially going with them. Ironically, they do now have a ticket available, and a better - and cheaper - one than I have. Ah well.

On Sunday, none of my Meetup groups had anything interesting, so I'm piggybacking on an event of the Russians in London group - I don't really want to join the group, but the balalaika concert at Rossotrudnichestvo in Kensington sounds interesting, so I'm going to that solo. On Monday, I'm back with LDAM, for a performance of Uncle Vanya, at the Almeida - their second trip, and a Q&A after.

On Tuesday, I'm back with London for Less Than a Tenner, for a comedy night for a change, at the Star of Kings. Wednesday, I'm headed to a Trans-Siberian March Band concert at Rich Mix, with the London European Club - again, I was interested in going with LDAM that night, but they're going to the St. James Theatre, whose legroom is a bit tight for me; I did ask whether she had any aisle seats, but by the time she got back to me, I'd found this other event. What the hey, Miss Atomic Bomb didn't sound great anyway.

On Thursday, I'm back at Rich Mix for a concert by Iness Mezel. - I've signed up for that jointly with London European Club and the World Music Meetup. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.. we're off to the final night of the Clare Drama Festival on the Saturday, in my old school - followed by the Crick Crack Club on the 14th, who are back at Soho Theatre for an evening of storytelling entitled UniVerse - as ever with these, booking essential; they always sell out. On the 15th, I'm with Let's Do London - for Less! (the Man with the Hat's other group) again, as they head to Cyrano de Bergerac at Southwark Playhouse - another of the Man with the Hat's preferred venues, and another good one.

On the 16th, I got a cheap ticket to a concert by the Coppell High School Band, at the Central Hall, Westminster. A new venue for me! Cool, I do like to keep discovering them. On the 17th, Kensington Classical Music is off to a concert by the Trio Isimsiz - you had to get your own ticket, though, then pay extra to join the group at the concert. Huh. I'll avoid them, and the extra charge - have to be discreet though, I believe it's a small room! It's at the 1901 Arts Club - another first for me.

On the 18th, I'm joining Spooky London for their monthly spooky pub night! Wherever it is. If I actually go. And on the 19th, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for an event entitled Seven Princesses - at Rich Mix, which will be my first event there with them.



No comments:

Post a Comment