Friday 1 April 2016

Play: Bad Jews

With nothing that appealed on Meetup for last night, I had a trawl through Time Out. Well, not so much of a trawl actually, as the very first thing was something that appealed.. Bad Jews, which I've heard so much about. Despite all the offer emails I've had for it though, it turns out they were all for its West End transfer - by now, it's on its third London venue, in the Pentland Theatre - part of the Arts Depot, up in Finchley.

First day back in action after Easter, and I was in Guildford. And, by the way, didn't sleep well the night before - I was exhausted, and odds were I wouldn't make it all the way up there at all. But then, with so many people still off for Easter, the traffic was gloriously light: so I was quite early getting home, and with such glorious sunshine too, I couldn't say no.

Driving was out of the question - it would've taken far too long. On public transport, Google Maps had me taking a train to Vauxhall, Victoria Line to Euston, Northern Line to Finchley Central, and a bus. However, the return journey had me taking the Tube from Woodside Park, two stops further on; turned out to be a 15-minute walk, which would potentially take slightly longer than the bus, but be simpler - so with the extra time I had, that's the outbound route I chose, too.

Made it to Euston without issue - which was where I (barely) crammed onto a packed Northern Line. God, it was awful - I was so glad when it was announced the train would terminate at Finchley Central after all. Delicious, cold, fresh air greeted me as I crossed the platform to the train to take me the final two stops - and I got a seat, this time. More delicious, cold, fresh air when I disembarked - which was nice, as I passed the queue at the Oyster reader, sure there'd be another, crossing the footbridge, which the sign told me I needed to do for Woodside Park Road. Other side of the footbridge - no reader! and no way to access the southbound platform without going through a barrier. Bah humbug - had to cross back. Moral of the story, use the reader - there isn't another!

Back on Woodside Park Road, feeling tired, hungry, rather woozy - the cold air was a blessing, as was the medium-length walk, and I felt much better at the end of it. End of the road, turn right - take the right hand road when it forks, and head for the tower on the left - that's the Arts Depot. I queued for the box office, where, despite the lateness, they insisted on seeing the payment card. The 2-minute call came as I made my way upstairs - you have a choice of stairs, escalator or lift at this point. As I climbed to the next level, we had the 1-minute warning. Well, this was where the stalls were, so I'd made it! Nice theatre - all fresh, new-looking, wood panelling, and comfy seats. Not quite full. Oh, and predictably, they started five minutes late..

I was tired, as I say - ready to drop off, in fact. This play cured me. Seriously, the writing was so sharp it woke me right up. A simple premise - four young people gather in a Manhattan apartment following the funeral of this Jewish family's patriarch - three are his grandchildren, two brothers and their female first cousin, and one of the brothers has brought his girlfriend.

It's a bit crowded, but it looks as though they're all going to have to spend the night there, since everyone's in town for the funeral and hotels are too expensive. And ay-ay, there's the typical tension caused by the getting-together of family members who don't see each other very often (and you can see why they choose not to!), not to mention rows over the division of assets. But you will have trouble finding a wittier play! The characters are enthralling, perfectly acted. The acerbic female cousin holds the fort from the beginning, outdoing everyone in her devoted Jewishness. But as the play progresses, we see other perspectives - and everyone ends up asking themselves.. just what makes a good Jew?

One act only (no interval), and when I checked my watch, I was astonished to find it had lasted nearly two hours. I didn't feel it - in fact, I was sorry it ended! Fantastic stuff, best I've seen in an age. Apparently it was the best seller in the history of the St. James Theatre, where it started - and I can see why. Pity I had to trek all this way for it - but well worth the journey. Only runs until Sunday - go see, if you have a chance; they have matinees over the weekend, too..

My journey home was musical - a good jazz busker in Euston, and a travelling gypsy band on the Tube carriage from there to the next station. Not that I saw anyone give them anything, but it was good-natured. Home just in time to go to bed, seeing as how I'm in Guildford again today.

Tonight, I'm back with the London Dramatic Arts Meetup - we're off to see The Caretaker, starring Timothy Spall, at the Old Vic. Her Meetup details are pretty strict - get our tickets from her from 6:45 to - 6:50! after which, she'll leave them at the box office. Given that she often runs late, I do wonder how that'll pan out - better go straight to the box office, perhaps.

Tomorrow should be better organised - I'm back with Let's Do London - for less! (yay..) for The Fifth Column, at Southwark Playhouse. Love the group, love the venue, love Hemingway - and when Helen heard, she was tempted enough to come too. So that'll be a fun day out.. she'll come early, and the weather's promised nice.

I'm quite organised with my films for once, and on Sunday I'm finally heading to see Spotlight - the true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the child sex abuse scandal in the local diocese. Stars Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Liev Schreiber. Mind you, literally the only showing that day in London is in a place called Olympic Studios: a first for me. Hey, at least it's on my side of town!

On Monday, I'm off to see War of the Worlds, at the Dominion Theatre - got a Timeout offer for a restricted view seat, which looks ok. Stars Liam Neeson - on a screen. Should be fun..

On Tuesday, I got a cheap ticket to Orpheus Sonfonia Principals - a concert at Grosvenor Chapel in Mayfair. Another new venue for me..

On Wednesday, I'm back with the World Music Meetup - another concert at Sands Film Studios. Great venue, diverse artists - this time, it's a Zambian performer called Namvula. Great, too, that it's so much handier to get there from where I am now!

On Thursday, my second film of the week is gonna be 10 Cloverfield Lane - in my local Cineworld, so already booked, 'coz that's cheaper. Sounds interesting - SciFi thriller, in which a woman wakes from a car crash to find herself in an underground bunker, with two men (one being John Goodman) who say they can't leave, because there's been some kind of apocalypse. Produced by JJ Abrams, so bound to be entertaining - and, of course, highly rated to come at the top of my film list. I booked the later showing, for the free car parking (after 7) - which is just as well, as it turns out I have to stay late in Guildford that day.

I can afford to be out a bit later than usual, since I'll be working from home next Friday - flying back to Ireland for a long weekend, actually: for cheaper flights, again. Not flying back until the Monday - which is a bummer, because (forgetting) I'd booked a ticket for the Crick Crack Club. And now it turns out the London European Club are going as well - so that'd have been a good night. Can't be helped - I'd never be back in time.

I am with the London European Club on the next day, though, for a talk on Theatre and Language: Samuel Beckett "Waiting for Godot". Taking place at the Museum of London, it's a talk about the play, rather than a performance of the play itself. But I love Beckett, so that should be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete