Saturday 16 April 2016

Ballet: The Winter's Tale

Well, I don't generally like having my plans made too far in advance, but - this being London (and venues such as the Opera House being so popular) - booking in advance can be advisable. For things you really want to do. And here we had Let's Do London - for less! advertising the ballet of The Winter's Tale for today - in the Opera House. There was no way I didn't want to do that. I booked.

Now, I was up very late last night doing that last double-post. Hence, I was not best pleased to see that today's performance was a matinee. Uhh... Well, I researched my route last night, and dragged myself out of bed this morning. No breakfast, of course - well, if it's a choice between that and sleep.. anyway, train to Waterloo, and with only light rain for the moment, I chose to walk from there. It's a straight run from Waterloo Bridge - never mind that I got slightly lost getting to Waterloo Bridge! Just keep going till you see the Opera House - then hang a left on Russell Street, to enter via the Piazza - they're doing renovations, and the Bow Street entrance is closed.

The Man With the Hat was merrily dispensing tickets at the far end of the corridor, as usual. Got mine, made my way upstairs.. Amphiteatre proper, for a change (I'm usually in the Slips) and a great view:


The Winter's Tale. The very name conjures up something mythical. And from the very start, this production held us spellbound.. The first act was ominous, with Leontes deciding that his wife, Hermione, was having an affair with Polixenes, and ordering the daughter she gave birth to abandoned, as surely the product of this affair. The second act saw her grow up abroad, in a pastoral setting, and had for backdrop the most fantastical tree, festooned with golden streamers. Finally, the third act brought resolution (and a tear to the eye) - and the most devastating ending; in an homage to those who had no happy ending, Paulina, the widow of the character tasked with disposing of the baby, prostrated herself at the foot of the statue to Mamillius, the son of Leontes and Hermione, who dropped dead when she was accused. The curtains closed as the music died, and she sank to the ground, silent and alone.

For me, the single most effective element was the most incredible, haunting, spine-tingling score. Beautiful choreography - graceful and descriptive - contributed to the fairytale quality. Fantastic visual tricks, to represent the ocean and storms. Two intervals in this long show, during both of which I joined the group, and no-one had anything but the highest of praise. On a practical level, with so many different characters, it was helpful to have the characters in varying outfits of the same colour - Leontes in variations on green, Polixenes (and his son) in variations on red, Hermione (and her daughter) in variations on purple

Winter doesn't always feel as though it's quite left yet. Go and see this, bid winter a proper farewell. Very highly recommended. Runs until 10 June.

Afterwards, we headed once more to The Sun Tavern. Upstairs again, managed to find a table.. and another, when the Man with the Hat had rounded up some strays. I was - of course - starving, and ordered a cottage pie to go with my pinot grigio. And I must say, that was an excellent choice - on both counts. Despite the slightly inefficient service - not enough staff, methinks - and the slightly unclean glass. What the hey, the company was first class.. as always!

The rain had cleared off by the time I headed back to Waterloo:



Man, that was a good day.. tomorrow, I'm back to The Globe for the first time this year! (Well, the Wanamaker Playhouse.) Got the last, non-restricted view seat for Pericles. God, I love this venue.. and hallelujah, it's an evening performance! Give me time to do the Wikipedia plot catch-up..

On Monday, I'm off to my first Meetup with Interesting Talks London - Banged Up Abroad is the subject. Topical, what with the recent parole of an Irish girl convicted of drug trafficking in Peru.. early start, but it's near, so should be ok.

Tuesday and Wednesday are Man with the Hat days - Tuesday, Let's Do London - for less! is headed to Southwark Playhouse, for a play called Darknet. Now, I have more sense than to have anything to do with the real Darknet - the closest I've come to it are short horror films on YouTube. (In the course of my regular surfing for short horror films, of which I'm a big fan.) But I'll find this interesting.

On Wednesday, both of the Man with the Hat's groups (Let's Do London - for less! and London for Less Than a Tenner) are off to a show called The Passion of Lady Vendredi, at Soho Theatre - and so am I. This was a recent development - I was originally supposed to be going to Doctor Faustus, with London Dramatic Arts Meetup, but sadly, the organiser's mother-in-law just died (as I found out last weekend) and the funeral is that very day. Works out well for me though - the event has been rescheduled, at a cheaper price, the difference has been refunded to me, and I can now go to both shows! (So I'm going for Less Than a Tenner - 'coz I'm cheap.) The Passion of Lady Vendredi is, apparently, musical theatre, and designed to promote the music of the Lady Vendredi band. And should be interesting.

Thursday, I'm off to a comedy show in King's Cross, with London Live Comedy - unless I change my mind and go to a film - we'll see. Then it's back to Ireland for the weekend, again..

No comments:

Post a Comment