Wednesday 6 April 2016

Concert: Orpheus Sinfonia Principals

Got a cheap ticket to a classical concert last night - Orpheus Sinfonia Principals were playing in Grosvenor Chapel. I had ideas about driving.. but when I saw I'd have to pass through Hyde Park Corner, I saw the light! That junction is absolutely chaotic. Took public transport instead - mind you, it was going to involve at least one bus, and with a phone that died before I left the office, I had to scribble the details on a piece of paper. Hey, at least it happened while I still had access to a computer..

The cheapest way would've been to take two buses, which was also the longest. I should have been in time - and as I approached the bus stop, what did I see but the bus I wanted, stopped there! And then I was waiting to cross the road.. and by the time I got across, the bus was pulling away. Minutes earlier than advertised on Google Maps, too. So, train it was - to Victoria. And at Clapham Junction station, the trains to Victoria shown on the main departure board were due to leave before I could get to the platforms.. this was not going to be an easy journey.

There's also a helpful information board for which platforms to go to, in general, for the destination you want - Victoria-bound trains leave from Platforms 12 & 14, so I made my way up there and checked the platform departure boards at the foot of the stairs. Platform 14 had the next departure, in three minutes.. and thus I made it to Victoria.

Victoria is a complicated station. I needed Bus Stop H, made my way to the entrance I'm used to - no sign of it. Plus, roadworks all around the area make it impossible to get your bearings. Inside, I'd seen a sign pointing to the side for Bus Stop H, so I went back in and meandered over that way.. you know, as you look at it on Streetview, it's right in front of the grand old entrance. Unfortunately, the grand old entrance isn't actually open, and I continued my search, confused, until I found another exit. Blessedly, Stop H was just outside, to the right.

This stop serves loads of buses, and Google Maps had suggested two - the 2 or the 436. Naturally, the 436 was just pulling away as I arrived - but the LED indicator suggested a #2 would be along in about seven minutes, so I settled myself to wait. Until I noticed that it was only going as far as Hyde Park Corner.. so I examined the route map at the stop, and saw a host of buses that seemed to be headed to the Dorchester Hotel, which was the stop I needed. Including the #82, which was the next along - so I hopped on board.

It was no distance at all to my stop - but I was glad not to drive. The stop itself is right beside an underpass, which you take to cross Park Lane. On the other side, and just to the right, is Aldford Street - the chapel is visible just at the end of the street. And wasn't I jealous, walking down the street, to see all the free parking spaces..

They crossed my name off the list, and explained that programmes were available just inside, and a bar on each side. Lovely! I bought a program and headed to one of the bars, where I paid £4 for the littlest glass of wine I think I've ever had. Took it to a pew - which we were later informed we weren't to do, in case the historic pews were damaged. Hey-ho, too late by then - I was careful with it, though. The programmes, which weren't stapled, had to be explained to us.. "somehow", the page listing the running order had been printed on the inside back cover, after the potted biographies of the composers. Not that they stuck to the running order, mind..

Well, that was the last of my hardships - this was a lovely evening. The group consisted of the orchestra "principals", who had gathered for this concert. They made an unusually colourful bunch - although the men wore the standard black, the ladies splashed out, one in a navy dress, one a dark green, and one wearing scarlet, with a white, furry stole. The program started with Wagner's Siegfried Idyll - a piece apparently composed for his wife, who gave birth to their son, Siegfried, on Christmas Eve; the musicians played it while climbing the stairs to her chamber next morning. Ahh..

Britten's Sinfonietta, Opus 1 lent a more modern note - somewhat more discordant, but I do like Britten - it wasn't too jarring. After the interval, we finished with another lovely piece - Spohr's Nonet. And the programme description for the last movement was perfect - it does bounce along joyfully! A lovely, relaxing evening in the heart of Mayfair, sweet music soothing us as the light faded outside the windows of this gracious building. And after, I took the first bus that arrived at the stop at the Park Lane end of Aldford Street, running to the station - well, it was chilly out, and I fancied getting home early: for once, even made it in time to eat! (Not to blog, though.)

Tonight, I'm back with the World Music Meetup - another concert at Sands Film Studios. Great venue, diverse artists - this time, it's a Zambian performer called Namvula. Great, too, that it's so much handier to get there from where I am now! Again, I won't drive - my nerves aren't up to the two complicated junctions I'd have to navigate.

Tomorrow, my second film of the week is gonna be 10 Cloverfield Lane - in my local Cineworld, so already booked, 'coz that's cheaper. Sounds interesting - SciFi thriller, in which a woman wakes from a car crash to find herself in an underground bunker, with two men (one being John Goodman) who say they can't leave, because there's been some kind of apocalypse. Produced by JJ Abrams, so bound to be entertaining - and, of course, highly rated to come at the top of my film list. I booked the later showing, for the free car parking (after 7) - which is just as well, as it turns out I have to stay late in Guildford.

I can afford to be out a bit later than usual, since I'll be working from home on Friday - flying back to Ireland for a long weekend, actually: for cheaper flights, again. On Saturday, my mother and I are off to see the Three Tenors, at the University Concert Hall - she's a big fan. Not flying back until Monday - which is a bummer, because (forgetting my travel dates) I'd booked a ticket for the Crick Crack Club. And now it turns out the London European Club are going as well - so that'd have been a good night. Can't be helped - I'd never be back in time.

I am with the London European Club on Tuesday, though, for a talk on Theatre and Language: Samuel Beckett "Waiting for Godot". Taking place at the Museum of London, it's a talk about the play, rather than a performance of the play itself. But I love Beckett, so that should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment