Thursday 28 April 2016

Musical: The Toxic Avenger

Ah now, that was better.. Let's Do London - for less! was headed to a show in Southwark Playhouse last night. No need to know what it was about - that was enough for me, and I booked. Hasn't been a bad choice yet!

Working from home, I had plenty of time to get myself to the bus stop - amazingly, the bus I saw pass as I approached wasn't a 344, and I had to wait under five minutes for one to arrive. And off I sped on the old familiar bus route again, arriving at the theatre just after the Man with the Hat had said he would, about 6:50. There they were, down the back - a more select group this time, which gave us a good chance to chat before we went in. Surprise, though - assigned seating! Seems to be a new policy here - well, our seats were fine. Never doubted they would be - we'll see whether they keep up this new seating policy.

The show was The Toxic Avenger. I believe some of us had heard of it before - I wasn't one. Appropriately, the elaborate set was populated with enormous drums with signs on the side indicating "Toxic Waste", "Biological Waste", "Hazardous Waste". That kind of thing. I know someone who used to work with hazardous chemicals - pity she wasn't there, would've been right up her street! A band was discreetly positioned on the upper level of the set.

The show tells the story of mild-mannered Melvin, an environmental activist, who gets unceremoniously dumped into one of those large vats of toxic stuff, which turns him into a mutant with superhuman strength. And from then on, he battles corrupt government officials, fights for green rights, and falls in love with a blind librarian (!).

That's the short story. Not sure whether you'd enjoy it? I DEFY you not to. It's hilarious. There was a chap in front of me who couldn't stop laughing for the entire first act - I really thought he might do himself an injury. They know the story is daft - in fact, they play up every possible comic angle, frequently sending themselves up. If you're in the front row, prepare to be.. interacted with. Mildly. And a catchy soundtrack is perfectly sung - as so often with shows in this, and similar venues, the production values are as good as anything you'll get in the West End, with far smaller ticket prices. And it's more fun than most. Great set for the venue, quick costume changes, good use of the space.

Like musicals? Head to this - I said it to myself during the performance: There is not one thing about this that is not fantastic. The musician in our group picked up on several musical references - and as she said, if you leave singing the numbers, it's a good sign. My favourite? The last song of the first act - I can think of several uses for it. Ooh, that'll stay with me. Runs until 21st - go see, for goodness' sake!

Our group stayed on in the bar, of course, gradually dwindling as time passed, until we were left with a hardcore triumvirate at chucking-out time. As I said at the start - ah now, this was better! If you've read the blog for it, you'll know that at the travel talk I was at on Monday, in the Q+A afterwards, he was asked where he called home - to which he replied, "Home isn't a place, it's a person". He has a point - I came home last night.

It was already after bedtime when I caught the bus to my physical home, and this morning was manic - hence the delay in the blog. Tonight, my group isn't really taking me home - to a hotel, perhaps. I'm back with London Dramatic Arts, heading to The Flick, at the Dorfman (in the National). Oh, and tomorrow, they're off to Lawrence After Arabia, in Hampstead Theatre - I got cheaper from the theatre itself, so I'm going separately. They don't like that, but I have a seat upstairs, so it should be possible to avoid them - and, of course, having banned me from linking to this blog on their website, they're less likely to read the blog and find out what I'm doing. And I think I'll survive a night without them..

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete