Tuesday 2 August 2022

Walk: The Magic of Midtown

I had booked a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners for a while ago. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! And wouldn't you know it - he postponed it, as a result of the heatwave, to this day. Not that I'm not glad he didn't run it when it was originally scheduled - it was literally boiling that day. Happily, I could still make it today.

Of course, being close enough to walk to it, I was slightly late getting there (sigh). How predictable of me. Never mind, he is kind enough to wait for (up to) 15 minutes after the official start time - and I would have messaged (and cancelled) if I couldn't make it anyway! Of course, I might have been mown down in a terrible traffic accident.. Interestingly, just as I was approaching the group, I had to cross a street with no lights. Vehicles were moving down it - an impatient van driver was honking the car in front, and just as that car came to the main road, the driver had had enough and got out to argue with the van driver. Lovely, no-one was driving anywhere, I nipped across and joined the group, and our guide.

This is my 'hood, but as usual, it's amazing how much I didn't know about. For instance, can you imagine, this used to be a factory:


And what a picturesque (ex-) petrol station:


Oh, and I interviewed for a lectureship here, once!


Now, we crossed through the following building, and it's quite an impressive building inside. Quite ominous outside though, I think, and yes, I can see it as the Ministry of Truth:


In fact, it seems that Orwell's wife worked here, for the Ministry of Information. Inspration indeed.

The following hotel is one I've passed so many times - mainly on the way to work. I noticed it was an ornate building, but not how much. For instance, they depict the four sovereign Protestant queens of England (L-R, in chronological order: Elizabeth I, Mary II, Anne, Victoria) - before the current one, of course:


And so to Queen's Square (the queen in question is Charlotte):


At Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital, we came across a photo opp - when they were done, we got to do a bit of exploring, and discovered the statue of Peter Pan:


Still meandering about my area, we came across Brunswick Square, where I had my interview on Friday:


We passed lots of blue plaques - I'm not the first notable person to live here. ;-) And we were glad, at last, to fetch up for lunch at the Lord John Russell:


..where tables had been reserved for us in the alley to the side. And a lovely day it was for it, too. Food came in the order of ordering - and some didn't get theirs until others were half-finished! Now, someone remarked that it was basic pub grub - but you know, it was tasty, it was good value. V glad, also, to get someone to share a bottle of sauvignon blanc with, and v appreciative of the landlord who, when I spilled my glass, gave me another on the house! A lovely time was had - and it was great to see these folks again! Roll on the next time..

I was also thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all this month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Well, I hadn't before, but I paid for it this evening - and the link didn't work! I've complained, the organisers of the festival got back to me to say the link must have been updated, and they've contacted the producers - watch this space..

Tomorrow, thinking of film - and v excited about what's coming up! Highest of the list is the NT Live showing of Prima Facie, the one-woman play with Jodie Comer, making her West End debut as a dynamic lawyer, whose world is turned upside down when she is raped, and I guess, gets to see the other side of the system. It's supposed to be an absolute tour de force, and is one I missed because tickets went so fast - well, now it is, as they say, coming to a cinema screen near you! In fact, it's showing in my local cinema, yay - not to mention that, as a member, I get to see it for free! Three showings that day.

On Thursday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for a concert by Damien Lewis at Omeara. Yes, the actor! I've never actually been here before - should be interesting. Meeting Didi for dinner beforehand at Tas Borough - she's coming to the concert too.

On Friday, I've booked for another of Laurence's tours - Wonders of the National Gallery. Which I should be able to go on. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - and will be trying, once more, to get my car serviced. Subject to availability of mechanics! So, not sure whether I'll get to a film, as of yet.

On Monday - yes, I am succumbing. Finally managed to get a decently priced (seated) ticket to Abba Voyage. Hell, I love Abba, and even if they have been replaced by avatars - it's supposed to be a spectacular show. Kind of has to be done..

Next Tuesday, I've booked with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - Didi, from the group, who is herself a classical guitarist, is playing a free Summer Music Festival concert in the Holy Sepulchre Church, which should be lovely - assuming I'm either not working, or can get the time off! as it's at lunchtime. Close enough to the (potential) offices that I might be able to risk it.

That evening, I'm at Chasing Hares, at the Young Vic. And wouldn't you know it, CT now has ticket offers for this..

On the 10th, I'm with a new Meetup group - Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. Unless something better comes along - I've had bad experiences with free comedy!

On the 11th, I've booked a free ticket with an improv group called Kid Smokers Improv! at Barons Court Theatre. (It's Pay What You Can, actually.) They're actually stepping in while Avocado Presents takes a summer holiday - they seem to have a residency here, now. Anyway, I've seen Avocado Presents before, and they're excellent - so I figure I'll give these people a shot! Avocado Presents, interestingly, have a Meetup group now - Watch Improv & Chat Comedy! which I've also just joined.

On the 12th, I've booked for the Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street Tour with Poppy's Events for 40s 50s and 60s, another new group to me. But Laurence has a walk that day as well - the Strange Tales of Old (and New) London Tour, which, you know, I'll go on if I'm free.. haven't booked it yet though.

On the 13th, I'm off to see The Ehrlich Brothers, a magic show at the Wembley Arena. This is with Friendly Frolickers 50+ Meetup Group - so I've joined them as well, making that four new groups in a row! I was - as often happens - rather frazzled when I booked though, and completely forgot that they have their own, discounted tickets! Blast - they do this specifically so that they can sit together. Well, I've booked my own - more expensively - and explained. Can't be helped.

And on the 14th, I've booked with the 45+s again - but not with Laurence this time! They do have walks guided by other people, and this one is of Brick Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment