Sunday 7 August 2022

Film: Bullet Train

Made it back to Ireland for the weekend - how much lighter the traffic is at half past six in the morning! I tried, once more, to get my car serviced this weekend, but for two days in a row, nobody was answering the phone. So, sod that - my taxi driver will take it for a service somewhere else. (He also mentioned he'd give it a wash.) Which left me free to go to a film yesterday afternoon - and what came up was Bullet Train, an adventure caper with a Japanese bullet train full of assassins, one of whom is Brad Pitt. Looked like fun - I've seen so many trailers for this! Ennis it was.

I arrived just a teensy bit late, in time for the end of a trailer. They don't bother with many ads - probably because it's a weekend afternoon, and especially when it's not raining, so people flock to the outdoors. Anyway, I was sat by the time it started - he hadn't asked what seat I wanted, so I sat where I pleased - only a handful of people there anyway.

So, this is a comedy action. Brad Pitt plays a hapless character, standing in for another assassin, and tasked with retrieving a briefcase from a bullet train. He's in constant contact with a handler through his earpiece - if you're wondering who the silky-voiced lady is, she appears at the end of the film.. it's Sandra Bullock! Watch out for the hilarious cameo by Channing Tatum, as an unsuspecting passenger, drawn into this - he's a brilliant comic actor. Oh - and right at the end, we see a single snap of the guy that Brad Pitt is replacing - Ryan Reynolds has no lines, and is seen for only a second. Wonder how much he got for that.. Anyway, neither he nor Channing Tatum is credited - this is obviously one of those films that everyone jumped at the chance of.

I spent much of the film wishing that Tarantino had had a stab at it - comedy action is more his territory, and most of the humour fell a bit flat for me. Having said that, the action scenes are great - and this is coming from someone who doesn't generally like action scenes. Cleverly choreographed, and witty. But I have to hand it to them for the ending - the final half hour or so, when things are drawing to a conclusion and the evil mastermind has bought all the tickets on the train, so the only people left are the assassins, is beautifully conceived. Loved that. Nearly made up for the preamble, but not quite.

Tomorrow - yes, I am succumbing. Finally managed to get a decently priced (seated) ticket to Abba Voyage. Hell, I love Abba, and even if they have been replaced by avatars - it's supposed to be a spectacular show. Kind of has to be done..

On Tuesday, I've booked with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - Didi, from the group, who is herself a classical guitarist, is playing a free Summer Music Festival concert in the Holy Sepulchre Church, which should be lovely.

That evening, I'm at Chasing Hares, at the Young Vic. And wouldn't you know it, CT now has ticket offers for this..

On Wednesday, I'm with a new Meetup group - Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. Unless something better comes along - I've had bad experiences with free comedy!

On Thursday, I've booked a free ticket with an improv group called Kid Smokers Improv! at Barons Court Theatre. (It's Pay What You Can, actually.) They're actually stepping in while Avocado Presents takes a summer holiday - they seem to have a residency here, now. Anyway, I've seen Avocado Presents before, and they're excellent - so I figure I'll give these people a shot! Avocado Presents, interestingly, have a Meetup group now - Watch Improv & Chat Comedy! which I've also just joined.

On Friday, I've booked for the Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street Tour with Poppy's Events for 40s 50s and 60s, another new group to me. But Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have a walk that day as well - the Strange Tales of Old (and New) London Tour, which, you know, I'll go on if I'm free.. haven't booked it yet though.

On Saturday, I'm off to see The Ehrlich Brothers, a magic show at the Wembley Arena. This is with Friendly Frolickers 50+ Meetup Group - so I've joined them as well, making that four new groups in a row! I was - as often happens - rather frazzled when I booked though, and completely forgot that they have their own, discounted tickets! Blast - they do this specifically so that they can sit together. Well, I've booked my own - more expensively - and explained. Can't be helped. Oh, and again, CT now has tickets for that very day..

And next Sunday, I've booked with the 45+s again - but not with Laurence this time! They do have walks guided by other people, and this one is of Brick Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment