Tuesday 16 August 2022

Restaurant: Imad's Syrian Kitchen

This morning - having heard nothing in the meantime from that company I'm waiting on - I was supposed to have an interview for a well-paying contract. But I thought to have a look at the job spec last night - and wouldn't you know it, their idea of a technical writer also involves delivering training! Not that I couldn't do it, but that's a completely separate job. I cancelled. Watch this space..

In the evening, I was back with Civilised London - for a Syrian meal this time, at Imad's Syrian Kitchen. Meeting beforehand at The Clachan. So I could update them with the latest news in this ongoing saga. However, I got peckish beforehand, and headed to Pret - the nearest being in King's Cross.

Well, it was a sight to behold - busier than I've ever seen a London station (which is saying something), and as I passed the departures board, a crowd of people sitting on the ground with their luggage, as though they'd been there a while - or were expecting to be. Sure enough, as I looked in curiosity at the board - every single train was cancelled or delayed. In Pret, someone was saying there wasn't a single train running into, or out of, the station. I was lucky enough to get the last unoccupied table there - and looked up what the problem might be. Seemed to be the overhead lines. Hmph. Well, as I was leaving, a few trains were running at last - but to add insult to injury, there was an announcement directed at the crowd of people clustered at the gate to catch the Edinburgh train. The train was now, apparently, full - including standing room - and could those still queueing to get on please return to the concourse. Lordy, who'd be a train passenger..?!

In happier news, I was just on time to catch one of the buses that would take me where I needed to go, and off I went. The end of the line was a short walk from The Clachan, and I made my way down there.



It was thronged! As usual, a bit less so inside - and I came across a family moving from a table where they'd just broken a glass full of water. A staff member spent some time clearing it up, but it wasn't ideal - and when another of the group arrived, we found another table, also big enough for all of us - particularly as we were only three this evening, one having pulled out last minute. The chat was good, as ever - but we ended up heading to the restaurant a little early.

Now, this place is based in Kingly Court, which I've passed through but never before eaten in. It's a three-storey development, centred on a courtyard (covered in winter) - and we did spend some time trying to research the history, but to no avail! Anyway, our restaurant was on the top floor (there's a lift around one side, never fear), and we got a table by the open window. Bliss! with a lovely, cool breeze, this was more what a summer evening should be like.

Service came with a smile, and the waiter we had most was absolutely the most charming, with a great sense of humour! She bantered with us all evening, and at one point even brought over the owner, who chatted to us a bit. His is a fascinating story, as he owned businesses in Syria - which were destryed in the war - and came over as a refugee. Well - he sure has built himself right back up! This restaurant has, apparently, only been open about a year - the very best of luck to him. On the basis of tonight's capacity crowd, I don't think he has much to worry about.

Also on the basis of the food. He sent us over a little plate of falafel rings - yum! We had starters, we had mains - there was a slight confusion about the timing of that, as they wanted to bring the mains before we'd really finished the starters. But hey. For sheer moreishness, may I recommend my main - the shish tawook is marinated, grilled chicken, served with potato and an interesting sauce, which is described on the menu as "tomato mayo". Well.. didn't taste quite like any tomato mayo I've had, but it was reminiscent of it. And the whole dish was sooo tasty! Anyway, we were all delighted with our meals, and stuffed. And the bottle of white rioja that we all shared went down so well we had another. And the chat was, again, good - and although our surroundings were snug, we never felt cramped. Yep, a real find, this place!


Unfortunately, roadworks did for me again on the way home - they've closed off one whole side of Euston Road, and I had to get off when the bus got there, and walk the rest of the way. Bah humbug. At least the rain didn't catch me, this time!

Tomorrow - well, I've signed up with Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. Again. And again, this is subject to change. Except I haven't been able to find anything better - London Social Detours has an event, but it's outdoor - and it's supposed to pour tomorrow. So, comedy it is, methinks..

On Thursday, I've decided on film. Having garnered all the available films this week, I had an interesting choice to make: ended up eliminating lots of films from the top of the list for sheer lack of interest! Basically, the decision process ran like - if this came on TV, would I watch it or turn it off? And so I came down to the one I really wanted to see. Nope is the latest from the excellent Jordan Peele, and stars Daniel Kaluuya (again) as the hapless victim of horrific events - extra-terrestrials this time. With Jordan Peele's typical injection of humour, this promises to be fun! And it's on at my local, so I get to see it for free.

And then, of course, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. Planned film for the weekend is looking - finally - like Thor: Love and Thunder. Well, if I see Nope in the meantime, I'll have seen everything better - no longer showing in Ennis, so I'll see it at the Omniplex.

No comments:

Post a Comment