Monday 29 August 2022

Film: M (1931)

Today, fancied film - and with the film listings finally out, and rejecting the iffy-looking Indian films at the top, what came top was M, a 1931 thriller set in Germany about the hunt for a murderer. Only showing in the BFI, which has a tendency to sell out - this didn't, although I kept an eye on it. Still, it was in the large screen, so I was ok.

Wouldn't you know, I had no trouble getting out on time today. Huh! Arrived with tons of time to spare, bought a ticket - asked for dead centre - and, as I was slightly peckish, thought I'd try out their cafe while I waited (the actual BFI one, across from the ticket desks). D'you know, for all the times I've been here, I'd never been before! Wonder when it opened.. Well, I decided on a hot chocolate - and I'm delighted to say, it was one of the best I've had! I watched her make it - the thick chocolate mixture is pre-prepared, in a tub to the side, and comes pre-sweetened - all she does is add hot milk, and chocolate sprinkles on top. It is delish - highly recommended!

After that, I mooched along to the cinema, and went in when the doors opened. Sure enough, I was pretty much exactly dead centre - people were scattered respectably far from each other all around me. I have to say, over the course of the film, I began to find the seat a bit hard.. what can I say, cinema upholstery technology has advanced. Ah well. I did love reading the programme notes - the BFI is great on these, providing an information sheet on every single film they screen. The notes for this are, it seems, taken from a book about the film.

The notes tell us to take note of the iconic imagery - we must consider, after all, that this was kind of the first serial killer film. The passing of a shadow over the poster about missing children (for this is the story of a child-killer), the balloon caught in power lines, the letter M marked on the murderer's clothes.. but more than all of that, it's highly responsible, highlighting all sorts of aspects of the story: the growing hysteria about the crimes, the capacity of a crowd to grow into a mob, the bloodlust of the people who eventually catch the killer. Directed by Fritz Lang, starring the excellent Peter Lorre as the killer - this is really a film worth watching.

Now, glad to have the evening to myself. Tomorrow, I'm back with TAC - for a play called Angel, in the Hope Theatre. Based on the true story of the "Angel of Kobane", a young woman who fought against the encroaching forces of Islamic State. This is the final part of an "Arabian Nightmares" trilogy of plays by Henry Naylor.

And on Wednesday - assuming I'm not working by then, I've signed up to another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old LondonersThe Lady-Killer is an inventive renaming of London's most notorious serial killer.. (Ooh, and I'll have to get cash out again.) Failing that, if I have to work (sadly, a necessary evil eventually), I can always head back to the Soho Comedy Factory that evening.. (Be aware, Design My Night sells tickets to this for £5, but you can show up for free..!)

No comments:

Post a Comment