Monday 1 August 2022

Play: The Darkest Part of the Night

This morning, another job interview.. with another company.. at least it wasn't at 9am! Amazingly, the drilling from the works in our building was un-troublesome enough that I decided it was no worse than the park, and I stayed put. And hallelujah, the interview went great - I have a writing test to do for them now, asap. Meantime, Friday's company want one final interview with me, towards the end of the week - time TBC. Ah, what it is to be in demand!!

In the evening, I headed to the Kiln Theatre for The Darkest Part of the Night. Another troublesome website - I tried for days to get it to work..! Anyway, I didn't see anywhere at my destination that appealed to eat at - and the theatre cafe closes too early to make that an option. So I headed to O' Neills, as usual! where, this time, there was plenty of space. Ordered what has become my usual - I have a soft spot for chicken katsu curry - and I think the waiter is getting to know me! Mind you, the noise in the bar made it awkward when the recruiters from both of the above companies decided to ring me, one after the other..

And so to buses, and arrived early at the theatre. Where I got a drink, and transferred it to plastic when the house opened. I actually didn't go in until a few minutes after the announcement that the house was open - even at that, the usher was surprised I wanted to go in! but as I said, I might as well..


The logo on the back wall represents the company that the dad works for. This is set in Leeds, and feels like it's based on a true story - it's the story of a family with an autistic son, the parents having come to the UK from Jamaica. It's not easy, what with police brutality, a world that doesn't understand difference, the father getting laid off, and the sister having to grow up fast as she ends up caring for her brother.

I loved the first scene, which shows him interacting with his sister, both as her childhood self, and as her grown-up self. The rest of the play shows us how they got to the state they're now in, as adults - and the fellow playing the autistic boy/man plays a blinder, as we really learn to appreciate his problems: unlike the people his mother describes, who keep asking her why she doesn't discipline him, or her mother-in-law, who takes him to church to be exorcised.

I ended up feeling for the characters, and although I couldn't empathise fully with the story - I'm not black, for instance, so wouldn't appreciate all the racial themes - it is a compelling one. The stage, interestingly, revolves - apparently designed to resemble a vinyl record. Music features heavily - the autistic character loves it, it calms him. Unfortunately, none of the themes touched on are dealt with in much depth, so it becomes a bit much. But it is interesting. Runs until the 13th.

Tomorrow, thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all next month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Meantime, I had booked a walk with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners for a while ago. This is The Magic of Midtown - and as I said to him, it finishes very near my new home! And wouldn't you know it - he postponed it, as a result of the heatwave, to this day. Not that I'm not glad he didn't run it when it was originally scheduled - happily, I can still make it..

On Wednesday, thinking of film - and v excited about what's coming up! Highest of the list is the NT Live showing of Prima Facie, the one-woman play with Jodie Comer, making her West End debut as a dynamic lawyer, whose world is turned upside down when she is raped, and I guess, gets to see the other side of the system. It's supposed to be an absolute tour de force, and is one I missed because tickets went so fast - well, now it is, as they say, coming to a cinema screen near you! In fact, it's showing in my local cinema, yay - not to mention that, as a member, I get to see it for free! Three showings that day.

On Thursday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for a concert by Damien Lewis at Omeara. Yes, the actor! I've never actually been here before - should be interesting. Meeting Didi for dinner beforehand at Tas Borough - she's coming to the concert too.

On Friday, I've booked for another of Laurence's tours - Wonders of the National Gallery. Which I should be able to go on - Lordy, I wish he'd do something on evenings or weekends again! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - and will be trying, once more, to get my car serviced. Subject to availability of mechanics! So, not sure whether I'll get to a film, as of yet.

Next Monday - yes, I am succumbing. Finally managed to get a decently priced (seated) ticket to Abba Voyage. Hell, I love Abba, and even if they have been replaced by avatars - it's supposed to be a spectacular show. Kind of has to be done..

On the 9th, I've booked with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - Didi, from the group, who is herself a classical guitarist, is playing a free Summer Music Festival concert in the Holy Sepulchre Church, which should be lovely - assuming I'm either not working, or can get the time off! as it's at lunchtime. Close enough to the (potential) offices that I might be able to risk it.

That evening, I'm at Chasing Hares, at the Young Vic. And wouldn't you know it, CT now has ticket offers for this..

On the 10th, I'm with a new Meetup group - Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. Unless something better comes along - I've had bad experiences with free comedy!

On the 11th, I've booked a free ticket with an improv group called Kid Smokers Improv! at Barons Court Theatre. (It's Pay What You Can, actually.) They're actually stepping in while Avocado Presents takes a summer holiday - they seem to have a residency here, now. Anyway, I've seen Avocado Presents before, and they're excellent - so I figure I'll give these people a shot! Avocado Presents, interestingly, have a Meetup group now - Watch Improv & Chat Comedy! which I've also just joined.

On the 12th, I've booked for the Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street Tour with Poppy's Events for 40s 50s and 60s, another new group to me. But Laurence has a walk that day as well - the Strange Tales of Old (and New) London Tour, which, you know, I'll go on if I'm free.. haven't booked it yet though.

On the 13th, I'm off to see The Ehrlich Brothers, a magic show at the Wembley Arena. This is with Friendly Frolickers 50+ Meetup Group - so I've joined them as well, making that four new groups in a row! I was - as often happens - rather frazzled when I booked though, and completely forgot that they have their own, discounted tickets! Blast - they do this specifically so that they can sit together. Well, I've booked my own - more expensively - and explained. Can't be helped.

And on the 14th, I've booked with the 45+s again - but not with Laurence this time! They do have walks guided by other people, and this one is of Brick Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment