Thursday 11 August 2022

Kid Smokers Improv

Tonight, I booked a free ticket with an improv group called Kid Smokers Improv! at Barons Court Theatre. (It's Pay What You Can, actually.) They're actually stepping in while Avocado Presents takes a summer holiday - they have a residency here, now. Anyway, I've seen Avocado Presents before, and they're excellent - so I figured I'd give these people a shot! Avocado Presents, interestingly, have a Meetup group now - Watch Improv & Chat Comedy! which I've also just joined.

I was delighted it wasn't on until late, the day was so hot and clammy - thinking about where to eat, I couldn't see anything much around the theatre, so decided to head to O' Neill's en route. My usual table was free. My usual table was also wet. And when I looked closer, it was soaking.. and when I sniffed what was dripping on my clothes, it had the distinct whiff of beer (I'm not a sufficient conoisseuse to tell which!). Eww - it was as though, not a single beer, but a barrel of the stuff had been poured on the table! I sat elsewhere. Apart from that, I was well fed.

This far out, it had to be Tube - and wow, was that unpleasantly hot and sweaty. It's so long since I was out this way - the nostalgia came flooding back. I mainly know Barons Court Station from when I was living in West Kensington, and flying to / from Heathrow, and the Tube from the airport dropped me here - I'd then get a District Line, or just walk, if it wasn't due for a while. Anyway, this evening's walk took me through a pleasant residential neighbourhood, to the Curtain's Up pub - the theatre is in the basement.


I was early, and asked for a savignon blanc - dead impressed when the lady behind the bar asked whether I'd prefer one from New Zealand or Chile! Browsing the food menus, of course it occurred to me that I ought to have given this place a try for dinner - never mind, perhaps I'll be back.

I sat myself opposite the door that said "Theatre", and waited. I moved when I saw some folks headed downstairs - but they turned out to be members of the improv group! So I finished my drink upstairs again, and waited until the man stood in the doorway and bellowed that the house was now open, and no tickets were required..

Open seating - a small space, which was nearly full by the time the show started:


Four people in the troupe, two chairs as props. As one of them explained, the format would be that they would chat a bit with someone from the audience, then use elements from that conversation to improvise a sketch. Now, wouldn't you know it - practically the entire audiemce was packed with drama students! And as luck would have it.. their chosen interviewee for the first part was.. a builder from Cork. You couldn't make it up. (It's such a cliche, Irishmen coming over to work on London building sites - many of which are Irish-owned, too.) Kudos to the chap doing the asking, who remembered that Roy Keane was from there ("my favourite combative midfielder..").

Now, I remember watching improv years ago, which - not to put too fine a point on it - was s***e. My, how it's improved - two people per sketch, and if one of the "subs" thinks they can add something more, they tap the person they want to replace, and they're off on a different tangent. No matter what storyline they follow, they're always trying to draw elements of the initial conversation with the audience member into it. What we saw on this small stage tonight was some brilliant, on-the-spot development of a scenario, of characters, thinking on their feet.. stunning improv ability. At least to me, who couldn't improvise my way out of a paper bag! Very highly recommended.

Tomorrow, I booked for the Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street Tour with Poppy's Events for 40s 50s and 60s, another new group to me. But Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have a walk that day as well - the Strange Tales of Old (and New) London Tour. And with one company I applied to having rejected me, and the other saying they won't let me know before that day - I'll be free. So now I'm going on this instead - don't fancy doing both, although I could. And, of course, we're headed to the pub after. Being mindful of the heat, of course.. it's supposed to be a scorcher.

On Saturday, I'm off to see The Ehrlich Brothers, a magic show at the Wembley Arena. This is with Friendly Frolickers 50+ Meetup Group - so I've joined them as well. I was - as often happens - rather frazzled when I booked though, and completely forgot that they have their own, discounted tickets! Blast - they do this specifically so that they can sit together. Well, I've booked my own - more expensively - and explained. Can't be helped. Oh, and again, CT now has tickets for that very day..

On Sunday, I booked with the 45+s again - but not with Laurence this time! They do have walks guided by other people, and this one is of Brick Lane. Except.. today I noticed it's also on TAC. So I've now cancelled my original booking, and booked through them instead (cheaper). Oh, how mercenary of me.. but the guide was the one who decided to advertise it there as well!

For Monday, I finally gave up on Meetup - the best things coming up were walks, and it's supposed to rain. Instead, I'm headed with TAC to a show called Mediocre White Male, at the King's Head (another place I haven't been to in years!).

On Tuesday, back with Civilised London - for a Syrian meal this time, at Imad's Syrian Kitchen. Meeting beforehand at The Clachan.

And on Wednesday - well, I've signed up with Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. Again. And again, this is subject to change. Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment