Wednesday 3 August 2022

Film: NT Live - Prima Facie

I was thinking vaguely about the Camden Fringe, which runs all this month - there's, for example, an interesting audio event called A Little Drape of Heaven, where you hold a precious item of clothing to your heart, then press play to access a YouTube link that you've paid for. Hmm.. Well, I hadn't before, but I paid for it yesterday evening - and the link didn't work! I complained, and today they got back to me with the correct link. I'll listen to it in due course - watch this space!

Today, was thinking of film - and v excited about what was coming up! Highest of the list was the NT Live showing of Prima Facie, the one-woman play with Jodie Comer, making her West End debut as a dynamic lawyer, whose world is turned upside down when she is raped, and gets to see the other side of the system. It was supposed to be an absolute tour de force, and is one I missed because tickets went so fast - well, now it is, as they say, coming to a cinema screen near you! In fact, it's showing in my local cinema, yay - not to mention that, as a member, I get to see it for free! Three showings today.

I managed to get myself up for the first of them - showed up in good time, and got my free ticket, as well as a 10% discount on some moreish chocolate honeycomb bites and a lovely glass of sauvignon blanc. There were still plenty of seats - but lo, when I got to the screen, the only person there before me was in my row, and I had to squeeze past her! And she gave me a look as I crunched my honeycomb bites. Well, I held off as soon as the show proper started - the film actually begins with an extensive intro, filmed in the theatre, a performance by the band that provides the soundtrack, and a short round-table discussion with the actor, playwright, and a female barrister and police officer. They're partnering with the Schools Consent Project, BTW.

It's a one-woman show, set primarily in a legal setting - she shifts the furniture around a bit, but it's mostly either set in chambers, or a courtroom. The walls are lined with folders full of legal documents. And we are taken through this story by the lead character, a sassy, self-made woman, a hot-shot barrister, involved in criminal defence, who absolutely adores the game. And it is a game - she describes it from the first as being a race for thoroughbreds, the starter's pistol being when the judge arrives in the courtroom - and they're off!

This play is the most wonderful combination of a brilliant script and a completely devastating delivery. She absolutely holds us in the palm of her hand throughout - mesmerising as she brings to life for us the cut and thrust of a legal case, describing what it's like to win. We're clear on the rules, by the end - one of the most important things is not that you know everything, but importantly - working for the defence - that you not know everything. She's scathing about the naivety of a junior colleague who asks - "but what if you know they're guilty?" Interestingly, one of her best friends is someone she met at law school, who gave it up and went into acting - a throwaway line that holds more weight when you think about it later..

And then THAT NIGHT happens, and nothing is the same again. And the change in her is absolutely devastating - as she describes her mother saying to her, "Don't let this thing destroy you. Don't let it ruin our Tess." Really moving, really powerful - and a harrowing description of her experience as a witness. And how she finally realises that the system is stacked against her.

By the time it was over - and for a considerable time afterwards - I couldn't actually breathe properly. And I am not someone to whom anything like this has ever happened - nor anything like it, mercifully! A completely overwhelming performance, the likes of which I haven't seen in years. I'm not necessarily going to recommend this, because it will be too much for some people - but if you are at all interested in the subject matter - even if only from the point of view of technical arguments, which are brilliantly dealt with - then go see this, it's incredible.

Tomorrow - after the final interview with one of the companies I'm in the running for, and yes, I'll have to run the gamut of drills again - I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats for a concert by Damien Lewis at Omeara. Yes, the actor! I've never actually been here before - should be interesting. Meeting Didi for dinner beforehand at Tas Borough - she's coming to the concert too.

On Friday, I've booked for another tour with Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners - Wonders of the National Gallery. Which I should be able to go on. Heading for lunch after to the Lamb and Flag. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - and will be trying, once more, to get my car serviced. Subject to availability of mechanics! No answer, when I tried calling them today - they might be on holiday. So, not sure whether I'll get to a film, as of yet.

On Monday - yes, I am succumbing. Finally managed to get a decently priced (seated) ticket to Abba Voyage. Hell, I love Abba, and even if they have been replaced by avatars - it's supposed to be a spectacular show. Kind of has to be done..

On Tuesday, I've booked with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - Didi, from the group, who is herself a classical guitarist, is playing a free Summer Music Festival concert in the Holy Sepulchre Church, which should be lovely - assuming I'm either not working, or can get the time off! as it's at lunchtime. Close enough to the (potential) offices that I might be able to risk it.

That evening, I'm at Chasing Hares, at the Young Vic. And wouldn't you know it, CT now has ticket offers for this..

Next Wednesday, I'm with a new Meetup group - Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. Unless something better comes along - I've had bad experiences with free comedy!

On the 11th, I've booked a free ticket with an improv group called Kid Smokers Improv! at Barons Court Theatre. (It's Pay What You Can, actually.) They're actually stepping in while Avocado Presents takes a summer holiday - they seem to have a residency here, now. Anyway, I've seen Avocado Presents before, and they're excellent - so I figure I'll give these people a shot! Avocado Presents, interestingly, have a Meetup group now - Watch Improv & Chat Comedy! which I've also just joined.

On the 12th, I've booked for the Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street Tour with Poppy's Events for 40s 50s and 60s, another new group to me. But Laurence has a walk that day as well - the Strange Tales of Old (and New) London Tour, which, you know, I'll go on if I'm free.. haven't booked it yet though.

On the 13th, I'm off to see The Ehrlich Brothers, a magic show at the Wembley Arena. This is with Friendly Frolickers 50+ Meetup Group - so I've joined them as well, making that four new groups in a row! I was - as often happens - rather frazzled when I booked though, and completely forgot that they have their own, discounted tickets! Blast - they do this specifically so that they can sit together. Well, I've booked my own - more expensively - and explained. Can't be helped.

And on the 14th, I've booked with the 45+s again - but not with Laurence this time! They do have walks guided by other people, and this one is of Brick Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment