Tuesday 9 August 2022

Concert: Didi & Play: Chasing Hares

Today, I booked with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - Didi, from the group, who is herself a classical guitarist, was playing a free Summer Music Festival concert in the Holy Sepulchre Church, which promised to be lovely.

I tell you though, I could have slept a lot more.. but I managed to drag myself out. Should have been able to walk, but didn't leave enough time-  the bus was quick enough though, and the concert didn't start quite on time anyway. I'd never been in this church before - it's quite lovely:




Didi, the consummate professional, was looking well - and took the interference from her amp in her stride. How unfortunate that was - because it was a lovely programme, and a lovely hour spent in a fairly tranquil setting, the dappled sunlight shining through the trees outside the windows.


Delightfully for me, who loves Spanish classical guitar, that featured heavily - Ferdinando Sor's Spanish Romance, Menaya's Irunia, and oh! one of my all-time favourites, Asturias.. as one man remarked afterwards, we should really have been in a cave in Granada for these! I think we who don't have experience of playing these don't appreciate the work that goes into them, either - but my, the effect is worth it.

In addition, we had Erik Satie's Gnossienne #1 - simply divine, a really sweet piece by Bach, the Prelude to Cello Suite #1, and a couple of Latin pieces from Villa Lobos. And to finish, a couple arranged by Didi herself - the theme to Schindler's List, and Canarios. Just a lovely concert - and plenty of people there to congratulate her afterwards! Well-deserved, indeed. And this seems a lovely festival, in general - the vicar, in jeans, flip-flops, and a dog collar, was doing some advertising for it at the end.

Unfortunately, Didi had to clear out her stuff, or she'd have joined me for a late lunch. For my part, I had a look at what was around, and ended up at The Fable, a fairytale-themed gastropub. Approaching from Holborn Viaduct, a sign instructed me to head downstairs - sure enough, they are a multi-level pub, and the business end is on Farringdon Road, right at the bottom. I asked for a table for one - which I thought caused a curious amount of thought, considering the place was mostly empty! Anyway, I was seated. And started to deal with my mountain of messages, including from another recruiter offering a temporary contract. Well, never say no..

Service was pretty quick, in general - again, the wine hadn't come by the time my starter did, but the waiter was surprised at this, and quickly amended it. The squid starter was, I must say, delicious. The chicken kiyev I had for my main was not so successful - the coating was burnt, and I wasn't sure about the accompanying sauce. This is also one of those places that doesn't include sufficient sides, so I ordered onion rings - and was sorry I did; the coating was greasy, the rings insubstantial and difficult to cut. But the chicken was massive, and I was stuffed - had a second glass of wine, but couldn't face a dessert.

I then had to rush home, to field a call from the recruiter - another of these people with an incomprehensible phone voice. Well, I've sent on my cv - we shall see. Anyway, I was exhausted this afternoon - with the heat and the rushing around. Had a small nap - and again, left myself short of time. You see, this evening, I was at Chasing Hares, at the Young Vic. And wouldn't you know it, CT now has ticket offers for this..

I should have been able to bus it - ended up on the Tube, with dire warnings about delays on the Jubilee Line. Well, it was certainly unpleasant - crowded and stuffy. I got off at Southwark with little time to spare - and immediately proceeded to get lost. You see, the sign pointed in one direction for the exit and various attractions on the South Bank - and the other direction for Waterloo East Station. My reasoning was - well, surely there's an exit through the station as well, and looking at my map, it seemed that it would be sensible to exit on the other side to the South Bank, relative to where I was.

Eh, nope. I did try that - ended up going through not one, but two sets of ticket barriers! and the only direction from there was to the platforms - no exit in sight. I ended up having to retrace my steps all the way to the exit I'd rejected in the first place - which is the only street exit from Southwark Station. You have been warned. From there, it was at least only a short walk - I was exactly one minute late, but bless them, they started about five minutes late, and by that stage, I was in my seat.


Front row centre. I soon developed a crith in my neck from staring up at the actors. So, the story of this centres on an Indian family, now living in the UK - the daughter works for a food delivery app, is overworked, and as she explains to her father, played by Irfan Shamji, as she is technically self-employed, she doesn't get any maternity leave. Despite having a small baby to care for. The action then shifts to the father's past in Kolkata, when she was a baby herself, and he was working for an unscrupulous family of sweatshop owners. As the play progresses, he manages to ingratiate himself with the boss' son, and gets promoted to line manager - life dramatically improves for him and his family. But how will this square with his conscience when he's obliged to defend the company's illegal work practices?

Lord, I am sorry I went to such efforts to get there on time. And sorry I managed it, against the odds. It's a worthy topic, for sure - but we are literally beaten around the head with it. As someone remarked afterwards, everything is explained in minute detail, as if we're children. I found this man's wife, played by an Englishwoman, somewhat unbelievable - but I think she was an understudy. Ayesha Dharker is good as the lead actor in the boss' son's theatre troupe, as is Scott Karim as the boss' arrogant son himself. But the material is woeful. I see it won an award - for political theatre, which is fair enough. Doesn't mean it's any good to watch, though.

I winced my way through the first half, and left at the interval - glad, at least, to give my neck a rest! Outside, looking up my route home, I was privy to a couple of conversations being held nearby. One woman was complaining about the directing, one man about the over-obvious story. I second those emotions! Runs till Saturday, if you're curious - deals available. Includes lots of swearing - and some more violent stuff in the second half, I believe. Managed to get a bus home this time - which stopped, conveniently, outside the Co-Op. Whose card machines are now working (yay!), but one of whose fridges is now broken.. So good to get home early, after my exertions.

Tomorrow, I booked with a new Meetup group - Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. But yesterday, I got an offer from CT for seat-filling for Wonderville! magic & cabaret, so now I'm going to that instead. I've had bad experiences with free comedy!

On Thursday, I've booked a free ticket with an improv group called Kid Smokers Improv! at Barons Court Theatre. (It's Pay What You Can, actually.) They're actually stepping in while Avocado Presents takes a summer holiday - they seem to have a residency here, now. Anyway, I've seen Avocado Presents before, and they're excellent - so I figure I'll give these people a shot! Avocado Presents, interestingly, have a Meetup group now - Watch Improv & Chat Comedy! which I've also just joined.

On Friday, I booked for the Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street Tour with Poppy's Events for 40s 50s and 60s, another new group to me. But Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have a walk that day as well - the Strange Tales of Old (and New) London Tour. And with one company I applied to having rejected me, and the other saying they won't let me know before that day - it looks as though I'll be free. So now I'm going on this instead - don't fancy doing both, although I could.

On Saturday, I'm off to see The Ehrlich Brothers, a magic show at the Wembley Arena. This is with Friendly Frolickers 50+ Meetup Group - so I've joined them as well. I was - as often happens - rather frazzled when I booked though, and completely forgot that they have their own, discounted tickets! Blast - they do this specifically so that they can sit together. Well, I've booked my own - more expensively - and explained. Can't be helped. Oh, and again, CT now has tickets for that very day..

And on Sunday, I've booked with the 45+s again - but not with Laurence this time! They do have walks guided by other people, and this one is of Brick Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment