Friday 12 August 2022

Strange Tales of Old (and New) London Tour

Today, I booked for the Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street Tour with Poppy's Events for 40s 50s and 60s, another new group to me. But Laurence and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners had a walk today as well - the Strange Tales of Old (and New) London Tour. And with the company I'm waiting on saying they wouldn't let me know before today (and haven't, at time of writing) - I was free. So I went on this instead - didn't fancy doing both, although I could have.

Good for me, I got out in time to get the bus. I'd have to change, but that should have been fine - except for the slowest driver known to humanity, who moseyed along the route, stopping at every stop regardless of whether anyone was there, waiting at stops for no apparent reason - and of course I missed my connection. So, I ended up on the Tube after all - which I could have taken in the first place! At least the District Line was nice and cool - outside was a different story, as the heat was becoming oppressive. It was but a short trot to The Liberty Bounds, where we were to meet, but I was glad to have Google Maps to direct me - and there was our guide, who just stepped out as I arrived, fielding calls on his phone, and was able to direct me to the back, where the others were. As we were waiting, I had time to grab a much-needed lemonade..

Some interesting historical stuff down the back:



Throughout today's walk, Laurence took care of us, stopping in the shade where possible - and it was most helpful. We spent some time around the Tower, where some gruesome tales were told.. and members of his audience were oh so ready to contribute. In due course, we continued to the City - imagine, only a couple of months since I lived there! Still feels like home, in a way.



There's a wealth of information to be told about all these buildings, and their layers of history.. Sadly, when we came to the church of St. Helen Bishopsgate, it was closed to us - unusually, it seems. But it certainly sounds worth further investigation.


And so to the knight that symbolises the knights to whom the land was given, once upon a time..


Afterwards, back to the Lord Aberconway, where after having a sandwich the last time, I decided to get a steak and ale pie. Which was very tasty - I had to leave most of the crust, mind, which was too tough! Interestingly, they had developed a policy of asking for people's names when taking their orders, so they could ask for the person when they arrived with them, rather than for who ordered what - a very good idea, except for the name they completely mispronounced so the fellow had no idea they were talking about him! Otherwise, it was a good lunch, where - as one of our table said - we "set the world to rights".

Thence, on to the Red Lion again, where we took up most of the upstairs - as Laurence remarked, it was great to see that most people from the walk did stay for lunch, and then for drinks! and a good conversation, as ever. As we left, someone fancied ice cream - so we ended up doing a tour of Eataly, and finishing with some goodies. Another excellent afternoon with Laurence, and with this group - there are advantages to being (temporarily) unemployed.

Tomorrow, I'm off to see The Ehrlich Brothers, a magic show at the Wembley Arena. (Oh goodee, a lie-in!) This is with Friendly Frolickers 50+ Meetup Group - so I've joined them as well. I was - as often happens - rather frazzled when I booked though, and completely forgot that they have their own, discounted tickets! Blast - they do this specifically so that they can sit together. Well, I've booked my own - more expensively - and explained. Can't be helped. Oh, and again, CT now has tickets for that very day..

On Sunday, I booked with the 45+s again - but not with Laurence this time! They do have walks guided by other people, and this one is of Brick Lane. Except.. today I noticed it's also on TAC. So I've now cancelled my original booking, and booked through them instead (cheaper). Oh, how mercenary of me.. but the guide was the one who decided to advertise it there as well!

For Monday, I finally gave up on Meetup - the best things coming up were walks, and it's supposed to rain. Instead, I'm headed with TAC to a show called Mediocre White Male, at the King's Head (another place I haven't been to in years!).

On Tuesday, back with Civilised London - for a Syrian meal this time, at Imad's Syrian Kitchen. Meeting beforehand at The Clachan.

On Wednesday - well, I've signed up with Soho Comedy Factory Shows and Socials, which organises free events on Wednesdays at the aforementioned Soho Comedy Factory. Again. And again, this is subject to change. Watch this space..

On Thursday, I've decided on film. Having garnered all the available films this week, I had an interesting choice to make: ended up eliminating lots of films from the top of the list for sheer lack of interest! Basically, the decision process ran like - if this came on TV, would I watch it or turn it off? And so I came down to the one I really wanted to see. Nope is the latest from the excellent Jordan Peele, and stars Daniel Kaluuya (again) as the hapless victim of horrific events - extra-terrestrials this time. With Jordan Peele's typical injection of humour, this promises to be fun! And it's on at my local, so I get to see it for free.

And then, of course, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment