Sunday 1 December 2019

Bistro1

Today, I arranged to have lunch with Helen - she's squeezing in a trip to London before the infamous strikes start, tomorrow! We arranged to eat at Bistro1, and booked a table. Now, when I went to book, they advertised a Groupon voucher for a meal for two - great, except when I phoned, I was told it wasn't valid in December! Never said anything about that on the voucher. So I've got a refund on the voucher, and they said they'd inform the restaurant that it was no longer valid. Meantime, poor Ivan was out of town this week for work and missing all the fun - and so, the other day, on the train back from a stay with the family, he floated the idea of an all-day social, some weekend. Starting today. I explained to him that I was seeing Helen today - "Bring her!" sez he. Helen was ok with them joining us, so he and another arranged to meet us.

..Unfortunately, both came down with the flu, or something similar, and we were back down to two again. What the hey. What with all the WhatsApping, I was delayed - and wouldn't you know it, the buses are all experiencing problems and diversions again. Plus, I had to change my coat when I saw it spitting rain outside, just as I was to leave - now, THAT wasn't forecast! Anyway, what with all that delay, the only realistic option for getting there at 1pm was to take the Central Line - which, for once, was manageable. Why, I even got a seat...!

Getting off at Tottenham Court Road, it occurred to me that it's a long time since I did so. Nice decor. Terribly complicated to figure your way out of. I needed to head down Charing Cross Road - so I should have taken the Tottenham Court Road exit. NOT the Charing Cross Road exit - unless you want some doorway right nearby - because your access to Charing Cross Road is completely cut off by the hoarding that's been there for years, blocking the pavement! (Crossrail works, I believe.)

Well, I made it eventually, just about on time - she was delayed, and I decided to head straight in, it being too cold to stand outside. I then completely confused the guy by saying my booking was earlier than it was - my head was all over the place - and he completely missed the bit about there now being half the number of people. Never mind, he showed me to a table directly opposite the door - so, easily visible as you come in - and gave me four menus. And while I was waiting, I ordered a bottle of white.



A basket of bread and butter kept me going till Helen arrived, full of stories of gangs of people headed to Winter Wonderland - definitely a good idea to go midweek, if you can. We chose pretty quickly, ordered, were served pretty quickly. I had deep-fried brie and beef bourgignon, she had calamari and fish n chips. And we were well-served - for my part, I have to say, the bourgignon sauce was delicious. Ice cream for both of us, with a choice of flavours - my chocolate unexpectedly came with chocolate chips! And including the bottle of wine, three courses for two people, for just over £50 including service, isn't bad value - not least for central London, you think?

Afterwards, we wended our way down to Covent Garden - heading into pretty much every chocolate shop, and every tea shop, en route..






When we'd fought off enough crowds (including in what is apparently the largest stockist of Moomin merchandise in the world), we headed for restorative drinks in the nearest Caffe Nero. Where we were lucky to get seats - and luckier when a couple vacated the winged chairs by the window, and I legged it over there while Helen queued to order! Yes, a lovely bolthole and respite from Christmas madness. And after, our buses left from the same stop, mine coming first. Happy Christmas Helen, roll on the next time!

Tomorrow, ironically, I'm on another Groupon deal - this one seems to be valid, though. I'm headed to & Juliet, a very non-Shakespearian take on the classic heroine, including a pop soundtrack, with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS). Running at Shaftesbury Theatre.

On Tuesday, back with North London Friends for Fairview, at the Young Vic.

On Wednesday, back with the Crick Crack Club for a night I'm really looking forward to - Ben Haggarty and Jan Blake again, combined with my favourite, Clare Murphy, and Jordan Campbell, will treat us to a night on the theme Sovereign, at Rich Mix. It's the last in their series called the "alternative tarot", where four storytellers take turns to expand on variations on an archetypal theme, and hold a Q+A after. Unfortunately, Ivan, who would've loved this, is out of town again.

On Thursday, back with UITCS for Three Sisters, at the National. Also signed up with Love London Arts, Theatre, Music & Stuff for this - the last time I tried to integrate the two, it didn't really work! It'll be interesting to see how it goes this time. I'll try to gravitate more towards them this time, as I missed them completely the last time. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment