Thursday 12 December 2019

Talk: Oscar & Friends

For today and tomorrowMeetup has given me ideas, which I'm using to do things outside of Meetup. Today, London Social Detours charged £3 to go to a talk about Oscar Wilde's London. I booked myself - for free - on Eventbrite; I don't find her group that friendly, to be honest, but the talk sounded interesting.

It was to start early, so I had to head out early, and it had to be Tube - so I delayed my departure a bit, so as not to run into her at the Tube station, where they were meeting. Quicker would have been the Central Line, but I'd want my head examining, taking it at that hour - no, I went via the Circle. Well, District first, then Circle - the Circle was slow to appear at first. I got a seat straight away, and finished my paper while waiting to change to the Circle. And once I got there, it was easy to find Kensington Central Library - mercifully, the rain that had poured down all day had finally stopped!

Not so easy to find the entrance, though! The website said that the entrance to the lecture theatre was around the back, on the other side from the main entrance - not so useful when I hadn't been there before. They also said it was on Phillimore Walk - well, I headed down there, and came across a door with an arrow pointing to the left for the entrance to the theatre. Unfortunately, the next door down indicated that this was the entrance to Holland Park Surgery! I ended up walking right around the building.. tried the first entrance, where the polling station was set up, and got some lady all excited when she thought she had a potential voter! (Sorry, I'd already voted, way on the other side of town.) Anyway, she sent me on to the next entrance - where the lady at the information desk explained to me that the entrance - is the one that says Holland Park Surgery. Grr - they could have whacked up another sign there to explain that!

Right back around the building again (looks like a nice library, though). And sure enough, this time there was no-one standing in front of the sign directing people to the talk, in the lecture theatre just to the left. Where I took a seat - making sure to sit behind the group I was trying to avoid. And I was just in time - actually, they started late anyway. As usual.

A very interesting period they were discussing - they started with the 1890s, when "decadent" writing flourished in London. Oscar Wilde was mentioned, but the talk was primarily about people (primarily men) that he would have known. I knew few of the names, with the exception of his and of W. B. Yeats'. Well, and a young Aleister Crowley made a brief appearance, eliciting gasps from the audience - very intense eyes. Most of the second half of the talk was concerned with a young man - Lionel Johnson - who apparently introduced Wilde to Bosie (Lord Alfred Douglas), who was to be his downfall. Very dreamy photos were displayed of everyone mentioned - I'm sure they would have approved.

Seems you can study decadence in Goldsmiths College! Well, fancy. They even had a couple of representatives there tonight, who would be happy to provide information to anyone who required it. And we learned how the decadence movement was characterised by a love of the aesthetic, and a leaning towards taboo subjects - a desire to shock. So yes, sex, drugs - and literature. We saw some examples of a periodical that they produced - The Yellow Book. Ironically, Wilde never published for this - he'd had a falling-out with its illustrator, Aubrey Beardsley. Yes, all very intriguing stuff - 'twould inspire you to dig deeper.


Afterwards, I nipped off nice and quickly - and buses were quick enough, by this hour, to get me home. Tomorrow, Ken's Walks and Social Events (and its sister group, London Art, Comedy & Walks) are on a Christmas lights tour. Now, after past experience with the walks organised by this group, I'll never darken their doors again. However, a Christmas lights walk sounded good - and I didn't get to one at all last year! So I had a browse - and came up with a pay-what-you-want walk by Free Tours by Foot London. Starts in Covent Garden - and the handy thing is, we're to clear our stuff out of our old office that day, and hand in our passes before the receptionist goes home. Which means we have been told to finish at 4! Excellent - that gives me loads of time. I'll probably grab a bite to eat - must remember to bring cash, too. Ivan is coming to this one - but he says it mightn't be a late night. We shall see.

On Saturday, headed with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to the Orange Tree, for Candida, by Shaw. Unless I get sidetracked.

On Sunday, my last visit of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Emily Hennessy is telling the Ramayana at the British Museum. Oh, and I'd completely forgotten that was on when I booked with North London Friends for a carol concert at St. James' Muswell Hill, followed by drinks at the John Baird. Sounds lovely - but I doubt I'll make both. We shall see - with such a huge group going, I doubt I'd be missed. Then I fly back to Ireland for Christmas on Monday.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

..and I'm off again next month, flying back to London on the 5th. On the 6th, I will start as I mean to go on, with UITCS at the Almeida for the Duchess of Malfi.

On the 7th, I'm off to the Opera House, for the Royal Ballet's production of Coppélia - one I've never seen.

And on the 8th, the RSC's production of Measure for Measure, at the Barbican. Set in decadent 1900s Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment