Friday 6 December 2019

Play: Three Sisters

Last night, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Three Sisters, at the National. Also signed up with Love London Arts, Theatre, Music & Stuff for this - the last time I tried to integrate the two, it didn't really work! It'd be interesting to see how it went this time. I decided to try to gravitate more towards the latter this time, as I missed them completely the last time.



Off I set, on foot, early enough for the earlier meet time suggested by the groups. As it happened, I was first there - of all the people I could potentially meet, I could see no-one! So I mooched around, deftly avoiding the random bag checks. The trick, I think, is to look as though you're not in a hurry.. Mind you, there was a heavy police presence in the lobby this evening, and I have to wonder why.



One of the Love Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff group kept messaging that she was here and there, didn't know what we looked like, and couldn't find us. But sadly, that situation persisted, and we never did meet her. Instead, I did ultimately see a friendly face - crikey, North London Friends (NLF) were there as well! I'd never even seen that advertised. So we chatted for a bit, they went on their way, and lo, there was the organiser of Love London Theatre Arts, Music & Stuff. We took a table when one came available, and made some efforts to meet our stray member - to no avail. The Meetup app was no help, as usual, hiding more information than it revealed. We just headed in when it was time - and for once, I availed of the free cloakroom, and it was a delight not to have to manoeuvre my heavy coat for the evening!



Overall, I've got to say this is livelier than your average production of Chekov! It's set in Nigeria, during the Biafran conflict, and follows the story of three sisters (and their brother, but he's kind of incidental), who are living in the countryside as their recently deceased father wanted, but long for the bright lights of Lagos, where they lived before. Life isn't easy for them - the oldest sister is stressed at work, the middle one is in an arranged marriage and in love with another man, and the youngest: well, she wants to go back to the city, and avoid this local guy who's keen on her. When the brother marries, and his wife starts to take over the household - gee, things don't improve!

Chekov in general is slow - although the original version of this play does include a fire, cleverly transmuted into a bombing raid for this production. And I do think the story translates very well to this new setting! They do use it to aim a few digs at Britain's involvement in the conflict. The story is a keenly observed study of - well, life's misery. By the end, almost everything that they cherished has been taken from them, and they are left clinging to what they can salvage. Quite long - but I did enjoy it. Runs till the 19th of February - some performances sold out.

At the interval, I met with the organiser of Love London Theatre, Arts, Music & Stuff again, but we never did find our other member. And afterwards, I suggested we meet by the ticket desk - where lo, UITCS were chatting. So I got to see them, and chat to them, as well in the end. Wow, such a sociable night.. and my bus came just as the first drops of rain started to fall. With such a long play, it ran too late to blog last night, though.



Tonight, it's back to Ireland for the weekend, again. I was thinking about film next week - but what was on outside of that appealed more. So, on Monday, I'm off to a London Docklands Christmas concert at The Space, as hosted by London European Club. Only recently advertised - they're lucky I was free!

Tuesday is our office Christmas party - we're at the Montague Ski Lodge, and only have it booked till 5; it'll be interesting to see how motivated they are to continue the evening, as we start at midday. I don't have high hopes. Lo, to tempt people into the office next day, they're serving breakfast! And as part of the Magic Breakfast initiative, for everyone who has breakfast at the office, they're donating a breakfast to a child in need. Aww.

On Wednesday, back with UITCS for Cyrano de Bergerac, at the Playhouse. Stars James McAvoy.

On Thursday and next Friday, Meetup has given me ideas, which I'm using to do things outside of Meetup. On Thursday, London Social Detours is charging £3 to go to a talk about Oscar Wilde's London. I booked myself - for free - on Eventbrite; I don't find her group that friendly, to be honest, but the talk sounds interesting.

Next Friday, Ken's Walks and Social Events (and its sister group, London Art, Comedy & Walks) are on a Christmas lights tour. Now, after past experience with the walks organised by this group, I'll never darken their doors again. However, a Christmas lights walk sounded good - and I didn't get to one at all last year! So I had a browse - and came up with a pay-what-you-want walk by Free Tours by Foot London. Starts in Covent Garden - and the handy thing is, we're to clear our stuff out of our old office that day, and hand in our passes before the receptionist goes home. Which means we have been told to finish at 4! Excellent - that gives me loads of time. Ivan is coming to this one - which means it'll probably be a late night.

On the 14th, headed with UITCS to the Orange Tree, for Candida, by Shaw. Unless I get sidetracked.

On the 15th, my last visit of the year to the Crick Crack ClubEmily Hennessy is telling the Ramayana at the British Museum. Oh, and I'd completely forgotten that was on when I booked with NLF for a carol concert at St. James' Muswell Hill, followed by drinks at the John Baird. Sounds lovely - but I doubt I'll make both. We shall see. Then I fly back to Ireland for Christmas on the 16th.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

..and I'm off again next month, flying back to London on the 5th. On the 6th of next month, I shall start as I mean to go on, with UITCS at the Almeida for the Duchess of Malfi.

On the 7th of next month, I'm off to the Opera House, for the Royal Ballet's production of Coppélia - one I've never seen.

And on the 8th of next month, the RSC's production of Measure for Measure, at the Barbican. Set in decadent 1900s Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment