Saturday 21 December 2019

Pub: The Grove

Currently back in Ireland for Christmas, delighting in having time to declutter my brain. In the midst of weird weather - storms were followed by dense fog, currently blanketing us for the day. Mind you, it wasn't that that complicated my flight back - someone had been hit by the Stansted Express on the day I flew (although at 3pm, not 3am as stated), and it was a very good job that - given that I had a bag to check in - I galloped through my work and left the office really early. And that I'd mostly packed the day before. Because, when I arrived at Liverpool Street, it was to a board full of cancellations!

Reluctant to follow the advice to head across town to another station - after all, more complications are likely to lead to more delays - and with the bus sold out, I ended up installing the Uber app.. and taking my very first Uber! Which, I have to say, worked out great, if expensive - the car arrived quickly, the driver was friendly, and we zipped (as much as possible) through heavy traffic, and arrived in 90 minutes. Just in nice time. And after all that, there was hardly any queue at the self-service bag check (they had desks open too), and I got on the flight in nice time too!

Well, not much going out has happened since, apart from grocery shopping. But yesterday, I took my mother for a check-up - and maybe it was that the doctor was happy with her, or maybe the fine weather, but unusually, afterwards, she was in the mood to eat out! So, for convenience, we headed for The Grove, which has plenty of parking and is big enough not to be too cramped.




It was a good idea. We were in time for the daily carvery, the menu wasn't extensive but was enough, and staff were unfailingly friendly. Great value, too - although my mother wasn't enthused about the dill sauce that came with her fish. I have to say, the gravy I asked for on my chicken was delicious (although it was a breaded chicken breast, rather than the advertised chicken and mushroom vol au vent). We had a table right beside the roaring fire, and staff were happy to bring bar drinks and desserts to the table - menus were widely available around the eating area. Tip - the bar was far less crowded than the actual restaurant area. And although she wasn't mad about her sticky toffee pudding (less of the toffee, more pudding),. my profiteroles were good. Overall, a good experience, and a good atmosphere, with a Christmas lunch in progress in the corner: and we ran into an old friend on the way out.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

..and I'm off again next month, flying back to London on the 5th. On the 6th, I will start as I mean to go on, with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Almeida for the Duchess of Malfi.

On the 7th, I'm off to the Opera House, for the Royal Ballet's production of CoppĂ©lia - one I've never seen.

And on the 8th, the RSC's production of Measure for Measure, at the Barbican. Set in decadent 1900s Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment