Monday 30 December 2019

Pub: The Locke

Met an old friend for dinner tonight - and for a change, we went to The Locke. Where I'd been years before, but not since. My companion had chosen the perfect night for it - Monday night, right before NYE, meant that few enough people were in the mood for being out. So, parking was easy (onstreet parking is generally free from 5.30pm anyway), and there was no trouble getting a table. Having said that, he did have a wee bit of trouble spotting me when he came in, tucked into the corner by the door as I was. Sat on the side near the door, he then felt a draught - so we moved a couple of tables down. To one with a radiator underneath. Plenty of warmth, there!



Last time I was here, this was more of a restaurant - now it's a pub, with a menu to match. So, fewer choices - and since I didn't fancy the soup, I stuck to steak (it being so long since I had one), with my companion choosing the soup and fish n chips. My steak came with pepper sauce (on the side), onion rings, and potatoes in one of three varieties - I chose the gratin. And some v nice wine.

The steak, to be honest, was a little disappointing - if anything, too tender! and with a tendency to fall apart as I tried to cut it. The rest was ok, although the onion rings were a little cold - the gratin, however, was delicious. And the soup, and fish n chips, went down well. For dessert, I had a chocolate fondant (the only chocolate option on the menu) - he had coffee, which came with milk served in a cute, miniature milk bottle!

Overall, I thought it was a tad pricey, certainly for what I got - I'm used to paying a lot less for far superior steak. And that dessert was tiny! especially at that price. Service, however, was impeccable - efficient and friendly. Still, I think there are better value eateries in Limerick. But the chat was good - it was great to catch up with him, for the first time in ages!



HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

..and I'm off again next month, flying back to London on the 5th. On the 6th, I will start as I mean to go on, with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Almeida for the Duchess of Malfi.

On the 7th, I'm off to the Opera House, for the Royal Ballet's production of CoppĂ©lia - one I've never seen.

And on the 8th, the RSC's production of Measure for Measure, at the Barbican. Set in decadent 1900s Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment