Monday 9 December 2019

London Docklands Christmas Concert

I was thinking about film this week - but what was on outside of that appealed more. So, tonight, I was off to a London Docklands Christmas concert at The Space, as hosted by London European Club. Only recently advertised - they're lucky I was free!

I could get there by bus(es) in just under an hour - so I headed off early and did just that, making, I must say, excellent time. The second bus runs by Canary Wharf, where the lights are spectacular - sadly, I wasn't getting out there, and it's tricky to take a decent photo through a bus window!


It obligingly dropped me right outside the door of the venue. It's a converted church - with the main door closed, I headed around to the side, where there were lights. Sure enough, this is where they hide the Hubbub, an upstairs bar that you have to access from this side. I trotted up and ordered myself a (reasonably priced for a reasonable size) drink - and as I was doing so, I was asked by a lady at the bar whether I was singing. Turns out that the entire choir were wearing red jumpers - as was I! Having informed her that I wasn't part of the official programme, but might well join in, I sat to have my drink - and lo, was found by our group organiser, whom I hadn't noticed on the way in! So I joined him and his lovely wife, over the side, where they were having food. And we chatted until the bell rang, 10 minutes before performance time - just as well, because it was getting seriously crowded in that bar!

We should maybe have moved a bit faster - we had to collect our tickets from the box office (inside the main door), and it was filling up fast; we were in the main church, which isn't large. And it's true for the man - it's colder at the back, closer to the door! Hey-ho. Some running lists were left on the seats, with lyrics for the songs we were to join in on, and an explanation of where we could jump in. And so it proceeded, the large choir barely squeezing into the altar space. And we sang along dutifully.. the choir was quite ok, not the best I've heard, but far from the worst, and with a strong feeling of community to it. And of the programme, as promised, they had several I hadn't heard before. Free mince pies and mulled wine afterwards were a nice touch, and added to the Christmassy feel - a nice, seasonal start to the week. And good to see people again! The bus that had brought me there took me all the way home - and happily, in this cold weather, didn't take long.

Tomorrow is our office Christmas party - we're at the Montague Ski Lodge, and only have it booked till 5; I am assured that the tradition - with some - is to follow on to a pub after, and it can run quite late. We shall see. Lo, to tempt people into the office next day, they're serving breakfast! And as part of the Magic Breakfast initiative, for everyone who has breakfast at the office, they're donating a breakfast to a child in need. Aww.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Cyrano de Bergerac, at the Playhouse. Stars James McAvoy. Popular event this, I see.

On Thursday and Friday, Meetup has given me ideas, which I'm using to do things outside of Meetup. On Thursday, London Social Detours is charging £3 to go to a talk about Oscar Wilde's London. I booked myself - for free - on Eventbrite; I don't find her group that friendly, to be honest, but the talk sounds interesting.

On Friday, Ken's Walks and Social Events (and its sister group, London Art, Comedy & Walks) are on a Christmas lights tour. Now, after past experience with the walks organised by this group, I'll never darken their doors again. However, a Christmas lights walk sounded good - and I didn't get to one at all last year! So I had a browse - and came up with a pay-what-you-want walk by Free Tours by Foot London. Starts in Covent Garden - and the handy thing is, we're to clear our stuff out of our old office that day, and hand in our passes before the receptionist goes home. Which means we have been told to finish at 4! Excellent - that gives me loads of time. Ivan is coming to this one - which means it'll probably be a late night.

On Saturday, headed with UITCS to the Orange Tree, for Candida, by Shaw. Unless I get sidetracked.

On Sunday, my last visit of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Emily Hennessy is telling the Ramayana at the British Museum. Oh, and I'd completely forgotten that was on when I booked with North London Friends for a carol concert at St. James' Muswell Hill, followed by drinks at the John Baird. Sounds lovely - but I doubt I'll make both. We shall see - with such a huge group going, I doubt I'd be missed. Then I fly back to Ireland for Christmas next Monday.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

..and I'm off again next month, flying back to London on the 5th. On the 6th, I shall start as I mean to go on, with UITCS at the Almeida for the Duchess of Malfi.

On the 7th, I'm off to the Opera House, for the Royal Ballet's production of Coppélia - one I've never seen.

And on the 8th, the RSC's production of Measure for Measure, at the Barbican. Set in decadent 1900s Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment