Sunday 15 December 2019

Storytelling: The Ramayana

Today, my last visit of the year to the Crick Crack Club - Emily Hennessy was telling the Ramayana at the British Museum. Oh, and I'd completely forgotten that was on when I booked with North London Friends for a carol concert at St. James' Muswell Hill, followed by drinks at the John Baird. Sounds lovely - but I wouldn't realistically make both, and I cancelled. With such a huge group going, I doubt I'll be missed.

With an earlier night than last night, I was able to rise in good time - and just made my bus! Only had to run a little. And wouldn't you know it, hardly any queue at the museum - I had to wait, once I got in, for the doors to open. I'm not usually that early. Open they did, and I got a seat near the front - in such a large venue, I don't feel the need to sit right at the front. (Funnily enough, the museum WiFi only seemed to work once I was inside the theatre..)

Ben Haggarty introduced the main show, as usual - and Sheema Mukherjee was on sitar, with an accompanying backing track. Both ladies wore ankle bracelets, complete with bells. Emily explained to us, in advance, that we were going to hear a somewhat unusual version of the Ramayana.. and certainly, this was a new one on me. Tales abounded of flying monkeys, fantastical creatures, and love triumphant. If you listen too hard, you'll be bemused at least - instead, you should just let the story take you where it will, on the ethereal strains of the sitar. Very ASMR, and always recommended. I'm never disappointed, for all the times I go.

And afterwards - well, I couldn't miss my trip to Amarcord Museum, could I? The owner, this time, was having dinner when I arrived - it was a quiet time, and for a while I was the only customer. Yes, he recognised me. Yes, I got a free glass of prosecco, and he thanked me for my Tripadvisor reviews. Yes, I had the same food as last time - if it ain't broke, why fix it?! This was my treat before heading to the wilderness for Christmas. And yes, it was just delectable - I intend to be back. What was new this time was that I got to see the owner's range of languages - goodness, he was speaking Japanese to some people, Spanish to others.. the customer really is king, here. Oh, and guess what? A free glass of limoncello for me, just as I was finished, with my permission. Wow, it's years since I had that - and yes, I love it as much as ever!

For some reason, it decided to be raining by the time I left - wasn't supposed to do that! but the bus wasn't long. And so ended - in fine fashion - my last night in London this year. I fly back to Ireland for Christmas tomorrow.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

..and I'm off again next month, flying back to London on the 5th. On the 6th, I will start as I mean to go on, with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Almeida for the Duchess of Malfi.

On the 7th, I'm off to the Opera House, for the Royal Ballet's production of Coppélia - one I've never seen.

And on the 8th, the RSC's production of Measure for Measure, at the Barbican. Set in decadent 1900s Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment