Saturday 30 November 2019

Tutankhamun Exhibition

Tonight, I headed to the Tutankhamun exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery. With a printed-out ticket (sigh*). Get with the times, guys! They have half hourly time slots for entry throughout the day, and sent repeated emails warning not to arrive before the scheduled time on the ticket, because of overcrowding! I booked a nice late one, entry from 6pm - 6.30pm.

So, I had a lazy day - ventured out for food eventually, and was simply floored by the cold! I fancied KFC - where they must have been training in staff, because there were a whole lot of people behind the counter, not doing anything. I actually had no idea who was serving me - two different people wanted to give me my drink, they gave me a side I hadn't asked for, and it took them minutes to dig out my 21p change. And then I wasn't sure when he called my order, because he didn't speak clearly. Unfortunately, probably because of the crowds, they'd closed the seating area, so I had to bring it back home. Never mind, it was good in the end.

My bus was diverted somewhat, but I could catch it from Liverpool Street. Or I could have, if I hadn't been waylaid by a WhatsApp conversation! So I took the Circle Line - which, when I figured out which direction I was going in (East first, then West), was very quick and comfortable.

A short walk to the Saatchi Gallery..



I made it just before half past, and got my ticket scanned. And then spent the next 10 minutes queuing to get in - the crowds were, indeed, crazy. A guy was wandering up and down the line with audio guides for rent - £6 a pop, with a choice of languages. You might find it worth the money if you have a passionate interest - but there are plenty of written descriptions, and I think most will happily do without.

It was a relief to get in out of the cold - there's a cloakroom (which charges), and then you have a photo opportunity, with your choice of suitably Egyptian background. I passed. Cue another long queue! This one is caused by the short film they show at the entrance to the exhibition, which they make you watch, and limit audience numbers for - so the whole queue is held up while the next batch watches it. There's hardly any seating, and anyway, I doubt you'd see much if you sat, past people's heads. Indeed, it's tricky for short people, too - although they did let someone in a wheelchair take a space at the front.



Give them their due, they know they have an important exhibition, and they've done their damnedest to make the most of it. The decor is terrific..



The exhibits are suitably stunning, many of which have never before left Egypt:




There's so much information about spells, and how spells are inscribed on statues - but only have power when spoken aloud, which must be the origin of later European stories of how demons can be evoked by speaking their name. The whole first part of the exhibition is a fascinating description of how the deceased travels through the afterlife, disarming demons as he goes by speaking their names. Indeed, there was so much about the casting of spells that I began to see why Egyptian mythology had so much influence on later developments in European Magick - the Golden Dawn and their ilk. And then it occurred to me.. you know, I was on a ghost tour of the British Museum some weeks back.. where the guide spoke a great deal about how the magical properties imbued in objects don't leave them. And how, in storage over the years, they fester. I do wonder whether, with all these spells in the building, the Saatchi Gallery has been experiencing anything - odd?!


Spectacular stuff - a VR experience at the end costs extra, and I didn't bother. I have to say, these objects made more of an impression on me when they were in their original setting. But failing a trip to Egypt, this is a fascinating tour of its belief systems from nearly 3,500 years ago. Mind you, the crowds were awful. But hey, you come out through the giftshop!


And so home, by bus, with no obstructions, and stopping closer to home than usual because of all the roadworks!



Tomorrow, I arranged to have lunch with Helen - she's squeezing in a trip to London before the infamous strikes start, next day! We arranged to eat at Bistro1, and booked a table. Now, when I went to book, they advertised a Groupon voucher for a meal for two - great, except when I phoned, I was told it wasn't valid in December! Never said anything about that on the voucher. So I've got a refund on the voucher, and they said they'd inform the restaurant that it was no longer valid. Meantime, poor Ivan was out of town this week for work and missing all the fun - and so, the other day, on the train back from a stay with the family, he floated the idea of an all-day social, some weekend. Starting tomorrow. I explained to him that I was seeing Helen tomorrow - "Bring her!" sez he. Helen was ok with them joining us, so now he and another are joining us for lunch tomorrow. Well, assuming the other has recovered from his cold. Anyway, the start of a fun day, methinks.

On Monday, ironically, I'm on another Groupon deal - this one seems to be valid, though. I'm headed to & Juliet, a very non-Shakespearian take on the classic heroine, including a pop soundtrack, with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS). Running at Shaftesbury Theatre.

On Tuesday, back with North London Friends for Fairview, at the Young Vic.

On Wednesday, back with the Crick Crack Club for a night I'm really looking forward to - Ben Haggarty and Jan Blake again, combined with my favourite, Clare Murphy, and Jordan Campbell, will treat us to a night on the theme Sovereign, at Rich Mix. It's the last in their series called the "alternative tarot", where four storytellers take turns to expand on variations on an archetypal theme, and hold a Q+A after. And I do hope Ivan can make this, because he's a great fan of Jan's, and I do think this is right up his alley.

On Thursday, back with UITCS for Three Sisters, at the National. Also signed up with Love London Arts, Theatre, Music & Stuff for this - the last time I tried to integrate the two, it didn't really work! It'll be interesting to see how it goes this time. I'll try to gravitate more towards them this time, as I missed them completely the last time. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment