Monday 4 November 2019

Dance: Rambert2

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at Sadler's Wells, for a Rambert2 double bill - the first of two performances. And I should've been able to walk there, as usual - but as sometimes happens, today got very annoying, I got delayed, and I ended up taking a very uncomfortable, overcrowded Tube journey. Got there a bit later than intended, so I treated myself with a lift up to the second level - where we stood and chatted for a bit, and then went in. I had the same seat as last time, at the side in glorious isolation - check that post for the view!

Tonight's programme had three separate dances, the first two just separated by a pause, the second two by a proper interval, during which we met (and sat) and tended to agree, I think. We weren't sold on the first piece - Terms & Conditions seems to be all about, well, people conforming to rules and regulations. The start of it is mainly a repetition of words they can't use as they try to make speeches, and I certainly didn't feel it gelled as a piece.

The other pieces were much more successful - although the second, Sin, is performed on a very dark stage: a bit hard to see from the back! Still, it is a graphic depiction of the old tale of the femme fatale, long blonde hair streaming as she seduces her hapless victim. And the last piece, Sama, is a glorious riot of colour, music, and rhythm, starting with something very like street theatre, turning a bit dark, and testing the performers' abilities on stilts! Loved that. Anyway, there's nothing like a mixture. And after a brief chat outside, I got a bus back.

Tomorrow, I'm going to the comedy The Man in the White Suit, at Wyndham's. Stars Stephen Mangan as the chemist who develops a material that never gets dirty! and finds himself suddenly in huge demand. Going on my own, so can rest my voice a bit again.

On Wednesday, back with UITCS for The Antipodes, at the National - a play about stories and storytelling, sounds irresistible. Mixed reviews, I hear, but I can hardly miss this.

On Thursday, back with Spooky London for their monthly drinks - and Ivan, who has business in the City that day, has expressed an interest in coming. This month, it's in the Prospect of Whitby. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

And next Monday, I'm back with UITCS (as always!) for a night of comedy with Sara Pascoe, at the Backyard Comedy Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment