Friday 24 May 2019

Play: Jude

Tonight, I was off, with Up in the Cheap Seats, to Jude, at Hampstead Theatre. Fifth day in a row I'd be seeing the organiser, who also came along on Wednesday.

Someone in the group suggested food beforehand - we agreed to meet in Ye Olde Swiss Cottage, just across the road from the theatre. I delayed maybe a bit too long - and was on the Tube again, of necessity this time, because it was such a long journey. And so, for the third time this week, I was on the Central Line, changing to the Jubilee - north to Swiss Cottage, tonight. The exits here are really well signposted - and, unusually, not vandalised - so it was easy to find the exit for the pub.

As I was leaving the station, I was messaged by one of the two who were already there, so I knew to look inside for them; they weren't hard to find, despite the labyrinthine nature of the place. They had secured us a nice, big table, with high-backed benches. They'd just ordered, so I chose what I wanted - gammon, it having been a while since I'd had it - and went up to the bar to order. And there I stayed for what felt like a long time, while the blissfully ignorant bar staff glanced over and past me, serving people on either side of me. I had to shout at one of them to get her even to look my way.. At least the food was decent.

In the theatre, we collected our tickets at the box office, then met the group in the bar. And upon examination, we discovered that we'd been upgraded to the Stalls! Seems they didn't open the Circle, tonight. Lovely - quite apart from getting a slightly more expensive seat, it meant I didn't have stairs to climb! and I am so over lugging this work laptop around. (Ironically, I shouldn't have been, this evening - the receptionist messaged me to say a locker was finally available if I wanted it, but by the time I got the message, she'd left for the day.. I hope to get it next week.)



Those are books, lining the back of the stage, in line with the play's theme - it's modelled on Jude the Obscure. So, we have a lower-class young person - here, a female Syrian refugee who works as a cleaner - who has an absolute passion for the Classics, and an amazing capacity to learn them. She's taught herself Ancient Greek and Latin, and stuns a local teacher with her knowledge. And her abiding goal - despite the odds working against her - is to get herself enrolled at Oxford. However, will her relationships - and her illegitimate child - stand against her?

This is streets ahead of what we saw last night. Despite an amateurish first scene - down to the performance of the woman playing the teacher, I think - the passion of the would-be scholar absolutely bowls us along. The scenes in Oxford are riveting, as her future is decided, and the representation of the central character as a Syrian refugee is very topical, her possible exclusion on account of her background and associations most believable. It's not without its flaws - as I say, the first scene is very clumsy, and most of the group felt at a disadvantage, with the play having too many Classical references. Not to mention a confusing ending, which the author says we can interpret as we wish. Still, highly recommended - runs till tomorrow week (Saturday).

Afterwards, back to the pub for one, in the midst of a group of noisy acting students. And with less traffic at this hour, I took the bus back. Tomorrow, back - for the first time in a ridiculously long time - with London Dramatic Arts! We're at King Hedley II, with Lenny Henry, at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East. As usual, she closed RSVPs too early, but I asked, and she reopened them. Be good to see them again. We're meeting beforehand at Sichuan Grand Chinese restaurant - good stuff, I haven't eaten Chinese for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment