Thursday 23 May 2019

The Second Westminster Walk

Last night, back at last with London Literary Walks - whom I've been shamefully neglecting - for "The Second Westminster Walk". I had to run home first, drop off my laptop. Well, nearly everyone was leaving a bit earlier - fitting, with the sunshine! I also took the time to grab a bite to eat before I set out - which means I was a bit later than intended. So, instead of buses, I was on the Tube. Again. Ugh.

Google said the Circle Line was quicker - but could I find how to get there from Liverpool Street! No, I was forced to take the stairs to the Central Line - where, with signs urging everyone to keep right, everyone resolutely kept left. At least I got a seat on it - we travelled slowly for a bit, what with a "disgruntled" passenger being dealt with at a station ahead of us. And then I had to change to a packed Jubilee Line - just like yesterday, in fact - which sat there for fully 10 minutes for reasons unspecified. While I stood. No wonder I was exhausted by the time I got to Westminster!

Only a short walk to The Red Lion, at least:




Met Mary on the way in, and together we hunted for the group - the place was packed on the street outside, and she trotted to check the upstairs, but no - exiting the side door, we finally found the two that had beaten us to it, and were sitting on a bench outside. Mary then went on to get a drink, as the others congregated around us - frankly, I was just too knackered, and desperately needed the seat I perched on, at the other end of the bench. The Tube really takes it out of me, not being used to it these days. Still, as I gazed at the blue sky above us, I had to congratulate myself for doing two outdoorsy things in a row! Perfect week for it.

When we started, it was at the corner of Canon Row, with a fascinating tale of how it was the location of the first performance of Richard II. He had a fascinating tale about how relevant it was to the politics of when it was written, what with Elizabeth I on her last legs, with no children - as was true of Richard II, too. And after that - and a brief history of Scotland Yard - we were around the corner, to look at some subsidence:




And so onto Parliament Square - unusually for these days, devoid of protestors; as someone remarked later, they've probably headed home to vote in today's European elections. A lot of scaffolding on the main attractions - I did find one uncovered bit!



..and I have to admit, I never realised the Supreme Court was so gorgeous!




Meandering through the backstreets of Westminster, we passed several salubrious residences. Including a huge one that belongs to a Middle Eastern princess, who has a massive private garden overlooking St. James' Park. Well for some, although I don't think I'd swap for her life. And we passed a statue of Queen Anne - that apparently comes to life at night and wanders around the neighbourhood.


Plenty of stories of espionage, of course, and we passed the former GCHQ. Also passed the workplace of our guide! although he didn't invite us in. All in all, a fascinating peek into areas of Westminster that you wouldn't normally come across. I was glad, though, when we took a seat in The Albert, at the end of the walk - in the upstairs dining room, for the extra space:



And they do food until 10pm - and actually have a working upstairs bar, unusually! We had a couple of drinks up there, and chatted convivially - before I legged it to my old flat, to bring down some more stuff. Honestly, it never stops! I had quite a late night, and am suffering for it today.

Tonight and tomorrow, I booked with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS). Tonight, it was for The Starry Messenger, at Wyndham's, starring Matthew Broderick. I waited the longest time to book this, because I have theatre tokens, earned from posting photos to Seatplan, and every time I thought of booking it, I was either away from where my tokens were, or it was out of office hours - and they have to be booked by phone, generally. Well, I was to be glad I waited - they finally released really cheap front row seats in the stalls! (Restricted view, it's a tall stage.) And I was within arms' reach of my tokens, mid-afternoon. After being kept forever on hold, I was put through to someone who had to have everything spelled out for her, and emitted a big sigh when I told her I had a theatre token. So she had to log into that site. But it was all worth it, to get a ticket for that price.. Of course, I knew something would go wrong: and then the office social was scheduled for tonight. Ah well - curry night it was then, venue TBD. Anyway, I sold my ticket to another of the group. And then I found out that there's something else on tonight that most people are going to (honestly, they couldn't organise an escape from a paper bag) - so I ended up booking another seat to The Starry Messenger! in the same row. Just as well - I can pick them both up myself now, and they are supposed to be collected by the person that made the booking. Technically. Some of us are meeting for food in the Bear and Staff, across the road, beforehand.

Tomorrow, I'm off, with UITCS, to Jude, at Hampstead Theatre.

And on Saturday, back - for the first time in a ridiculously long time - with London Dramatic Arts! We're at King Hedley II, with Lenny Henry, at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East. As usual, she closed RSVPs too early, but I asked, and she reopened them. Be good to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment