Sunday 5 May 2019

Restaurant: Coast to Coast

Currently back in Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend. Of course, it did eventually occur to me on Friday, as I was due to fly, that given that I had no food in the fridge - why not head to the airport early and get something to eat there?! So that's what I did.

Turns out that Stansted is not very well served for eateries. If you want more than fast food or snacks, there are two choices - a bar that does burgers, or Coast to Coast, which does have a bar but also something approaching a proper restaurant. So I joined the queue there.


Service is as friendly as you'd expect from a place marketing itself as American - indeed, my server did sound American. It took hardly any time to seat me, and they promise your order will be taken in 15 minutes - I didn't time it, but it could have been. Appropriately for a restaurant that expects many of the clientele to be in a hurry, they don't do starters - I ordered the BBQ chicken melt, which is a favourite of mine, topped with bacon and cheese. Here, you can also have a slice of beef on top! I passed. They give some sides with it - garlic bread isn't one, so I ordered that separately. And a glass of sauvignon.

The garlic bread costs £6 - well worth it, given the size! An enormous slice of garlic pizza bread is served on a trencher. The chicken is a bit small, a couple of small slivers of bacon on top, smothered in sauce - you can choose BBQ, as I did, or a "special sauce". Comes with fries, slaw, and a couple of small onion rings - which turned out to be cold! As for the BBQ chicken melt - there was chicken and bacon, the sauce was delicious - but it wasn't until the very last bite that I detected any cheese, when the bacon sliver fell off and I could see a little smear of yellow. Not enough to taste it though.

So, tasty overall - but beware the onion rings, and I have had better BBQ chicken melt. The garlic bread was lovely. No dessert I fancied, so I treated myself to another wine. I also have to give another shout out to the waiting staff - the poor lady at the entrance had to deal with an (American-sounding) idiot, who breezed past her holding a pint: which he had obviously bought somewhere else! When challenged, he actually pulled out an id and asked whether she knew whom she was dealing with! First time I've seen something that stupid pulled in real life. It was handy that the guy at the head of the queue volunteered to explain to the idiot with the id the nature of the licensing laws, that don't allow you to take the drink off the premises..

On Tuesday, I'm treating myself to a trip back to the Globe! It's been so long. My mother - given my continuing garden leave - tried to get me to stay a few extra days, on no notice at all! but this was one of my main arguments against. Henry IV, Part I is the occasion. Hope the weather's warmed up a bit, or I might be renting one of their cosy blankets.. Funnily enough, the Globe thinks I've already been, and is offering me a special offer on Part II! I contacted them late last night to confirm that I can show the ticket on my phone - this morning, they got right back to me to reassure me that yes, I can, or get the ticket printed on the spot. Very helpful.

The next three days are all with Up in the Cheap Seats. On Wednesday, we're at the Royal Opera House for a mixed programme by the Royal Ballet.

On Thursday, we're back to Sadler's Wells for the opening night of Yang Liping's Rite of Spring.

And on Friday - for something completely different - we're off to the Park Theatre for The Last Temptation of Boris JohnsonBrexit, of course, should feature strongly..

On Saturday, mention was made on Monday of Ivan playing piano, at some bar or other. But as a venue wasn't specified, I doubt it'll happen..

No comments:

Post a Comment