Friday 17 May 2019

Pub: The Morpeth Arms

Last night, back at another Spooky London Paranormal Pub Meetup. This time, it was The Morpeth Arms. I set off in decent time - the bus arrived just after I did, which was very obliging of it - but the traffic was dreadful, and I did get to the pub just a little late. It's kind of handy that the organiser put up a picture - the pub actually has no sign over the door!

He'd managed to grab a nice, big table - just beside the bar, too. Service was quick, despite the crowd, and conversation at the table was good. It should have been ideal - what a shame that the management in this establishment sees fit to play the - admittedly, entertaining - soundtrack at a volume so high that people sitting next to each other couldn't hear each other speak! Unpleasantly loud. Anyway, someone else was having a chip butty, and of course made me hungry, so I ordered a portion of chunky chips for myself. For all that they're supposed to be triple cooked, I didn't find anything special about them..

So, good company, shame about the pub. Never mind, it was good to see them. A screen to the side showed an unchanging picture of the cellars - as we remarked, maybe next time we'd go down there; even if we didn't see any ghosts, at least it'd be quieter! Mercifully, they didn't stay late - I needed more stuff from my old flat, and this gave me time to get it!

Tonight, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. On Monday and Tuesday, it's Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) again. On Monday, we're going to Rosmersholm, by Ibsen, at the Duke of York's Theatre. Just across from the Coliseum - we were remarking on it on Wednesday night!

On Tuesday, it's Our Town at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. Hope the weather holds!

On Wednesday, back at last with London Literary Walks - whom I'm shamefully neglecting - for "The Second Westminster Walk".

On Thursday and next Friday, I booked with UITCS. On Thursday, it was for The Starry Messenger, at Wyndham's, starring Matthew Broderick. I waited the longest time to book this, because I have theatre tokens, earned from posting photos to Seatplan, and every time I thought of booking it, I was either away from where my tokens were, or it was out of office hours - and they have to be booked by phone, generally. Well, I was to be glad I waited - they finally released really cheap front row seats in the stalls! (Restricted view, it's a tall stage.) And I was within arms' reach of my tokens, mid-afternoon. After being kept forever on hold, I was put through to someone who had to have everything spelled out for her, and emitted a big sigh when I told her I had a theatre token. So she had to log into that site. But it was all worth it, to get a ticket for £2.25.. Of course, I knew something would go wrong: and now the office social is scheduled for that very day. Ah well - curry night it is then, venue TBD.

Next Friday, I'm off, with UITCS, to Jude, at Hampstead Theatre.

And on the 25th, back - for the first time in a ridiculously long time - with London Dramatic Arts! We're at King Hedley II, with Lenny Henry, at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East. As usual, she closed RSVPs too early, but I asked, and she reopened them. Be good to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment