Tuesday 14 May 2019

Storytelling: The Big Blind

Of course, having to be in for work, blogging by night is going to be trickier in general.. so expect next-day updates to be the norm, now. Anyway, last night, the Crick Crack Club was back at Soho Theatre with The Big Blind: A Fairytale for Grown-Ups. And by 'eck, I hung on in the office for it, regardless of the fact that I had nothing to do, and my boss seemed a bit sheepish that I stayed later than he did! Hey ho..

The bus into the West End is quite convenient to the office, and dropped me a short-ish walk from the theatre. Just as well, considering the office's clean desk policy, and the fact that they haven't given me anywhere to store things.. so I needs must drag my laptop everywhere with me! Anyway, as usual, I made it a bit early, and was stuck waiting in the lobby with quite a crowd, because they resolutely don't open the Upstairs - where the storytelling happens - until 10 minutes before. Never mind, I was second in the door, and nabbed the most central seat in the front row.

Ben Haggarty must have been otherwise occupied, because unusually, Nell Phoenix was MC-ing last night. Which was fine, apart from the end, where her mention of the performers' names was completely drowned out in the thunderous applause.. Anyway, I hadn't heard these performers before. The storyteller was Dominic Kelly, with music by Bridget Marsden and Leif Ottosson, on violin and piano accordion, respectively.

So - Dominic is an accomplished storyteller, without doubt, and brought to life the sundry characters with a witty turn. But for me, the music stole the show here - not merely an accompaniment, it was integral to the story, and the musicians played in complete harmony with the story's twists and turns. Of which there were many - as someone remarked on the way out, he kept changing his mind as to whether the story was to be happy or sad!

The story was a long one, in two parts, including an interval - of a prince and a giant and a wedding or two. The music? Haunting and compelling - cds were on sale outside, but of course, as usual, I had no cash on me. Not sure I'd like a long session of it anyway - but the snippets I heard were stunning! And after my first day at work, still getting used to my new flat - it was lovely to come back to the familiarity of Soho Theatre. A terrific night. Mind you, on my way home, I had to wonder at all the ladies, out in flimsy summer dresses - come on, I know it gets warm-ish in the afternoons, but the nights are still freezing! Just because we have a glimmer of sunshine..

Tonight, I'm back with North London Friends for the first time in months, at the Royal Court for Salt: A Journey to the Bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, an exploration of the old slave routes. All the way over there, I'm sure to be leaving the office earlier! No mention yet of meeting beforehand, although they tend to do so.

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Man of La Mancha, starring Kelsey Grammer and Nicholas Lyndhurst, at the Coliseum. Being in the balcony as usual, I had to go in the very back row - can't handle those vertiginous stairs! Tickets a bit cheaper with WhatsOnStage. Mixed reviews for this - we shall see.

On Thursday, back at another Spooky London Paranormal Pub Meetup. This time, it's The Morpeth Arms. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

On Monday and next Tuesday, it's UITCS again. On Monday, we're going to Rosmersholm, by Ibsen, at the Duke of York's Theatre.

Next Tuesday, it's Our Town at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. Hope the weather holds!

On the 22nd, back at last with London Literary Walks - whom I'm shamefully neglecting - for "The Second Westminster Walk".

On the 23rd and 24th, back with UITCS. The 23rd, it's for The Starry Messenger, at Wyndham's, starring Matthew Broderick. I waited the longest time to book this, because I have theatre tokens, earned from posting photos to Seatplan, and every time I thought of booking it, I was either away from where my tokens were, or it was out of office hours - and they have to be booked by phone, generally. Well, I was to be glad I waited - they finally released really cheap front row seats in the stalls! (Restricted view, it's a tall stage.) And I was within arms' reach of my tokens, mid-afternoon. After being kept forever on hold, I was put through to someone who had to have everything spelled out for her, and emitted a big sigh when I told her I had a theatre token. So she had to log into that site. But it was all worth it, to get a ticket for £2.25..

On the 24th, we're off to Jude, at Hampstead Theatre.

And on the 25th, back - for the first time in a ridiculously long time - with London Dramatic Arts! We're at King Hedley II, with Lenny Henry, at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East. As usual, she closed RSVPs too early, but I asked, and she reopened them. Be good to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment