Sunday 26 May 2019

Film: Rocketman

Today was looking like film, and the film was looking like Rocketman, based on the life of Sir Elton John. I'd seen the trailer, which looks excellent - and having always liked his music, I was looking forward to this. Indeed, it is the film of the moment - I got a rave review from a friend of mine who's seen it, that Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) organiser I was with so much during the week was also seeing it today, and indeed, North London Friends is seeing it tonight too! but I wasn't schlepping all the way up to Crouch End to join them. No, I went to the Barbican, which is an easy walk. Three showings - I made for the early one.

I was up late, but not so late that I couldn't follow through with the early showing. It was indeed a short walk - would have been quite pleasant, but for the spitting rain! Indeed, what with that, an overcast sky, and cooler temperatures, this was a good day to head for the cinema. Google Maps, as usual, directed me to the back of the building - I ignored that and headed for the main entrance. Just as well I know it's on Silk Street. Now, this is, apparently, Europe's largest performing arts venue, and suitably confusing. I knew that cinemas 2 & 3 are up the road a bit, on Beech Street, but wasn't sure about cinema 1 - sure enough, a sign just inside the door of the Barbican indicates to head inside for that screen.

Inside, I was assaulted by an AI exhibition, which looks really good, and was attracting a lot of attention, with a large queue. An exhibit outside the main exhibition looked really cool - this might be worth a look. Runs till the 26th August. Anyway, another sign said that Cinema 1 was to be found on Level -2, so down I went. Downstairs to the left, a sign says to exit and cross the access road to the door on the other side, for Cinema 1 - when I went over there, I discovered a small lobby containing just four lifts. Careful - they don't all go to all levels! After a couple of minutes, I got on a lift to take me downstairs again, to the cinema. All very mysterious.

When I got down there, happily, I discovered signs of life. A small bar is located to the side, there are two entrances to the screen, and one to the "pit", which turns out to be a separate theatre. There are toilets, stairs that act as a fire exit, and I think lead to a car park, and a box office, which had a queue, which I joined, getting a ticket on the spot. It wasn't too busy. I went straight in, and found myself going down yet again! Jeez, how deep is this cinema?!


Some trailers to start - always good, to decide what you might like to see - or avoid. And so to the feature. True to its subject, Rocketman is as flamboyant as Elton himself - the first scene has him barging through a door in a devil costume, complete with horns, flares, and great, red, feathery wings. Turns out he's on his way to a rehab meeting, where he confesses to having an addiction to alcohol, drugs, sex.. and whatever else you can think of! The film then takes the form of flashbacks, as he tells us how he got there.

This is like a hit parade, as he bursts into song at appropriate times, and it's possible just to float away on those - some glorious examples are included. But it's also a lot more than the other music biopics I've seen this year so far - it really deals sensitively with his search for meaning in the midst of the madness, and we do get a lot more of his excesses than of Freddie Mercury's in Bohemian Rhapsody. Taron Egerton, in the lead role, does do all his own singing - we also have Jamie Bell as his lyricist partner, Bernie Taupin, and Bryce Dallas Howard as his indifferent mother. Gemma Jones plays his supportive grandmother. Definitely one to see if you like the music - it finishes with I'm Still Standing, which ironically, I think is the first of his songs I ever heard. They redo the video with Taron Egerton! And I defy you not to have the music running through your head for the rest of the day.

Popped into the toilet after - gender-neutral, I approve. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the door lock, which popped open while I was seated, or the ineffective flush. Taps, as everywhere in the Barbican, are operated by a foot pump.

And now I was hungry - and there's a Cote beside Cinemas 2 & 3, so I headed there, where - despite being busy - they were able to seat me immediately. I changed from my regular steak frites to another of the plats rapides - I had the poulet grillé. Which is gorgeous, in a rich and creamy sauce with mushrooms, and potato gratin. Served in an instant, as usual. It does say on the menu that it's served with frites as well, but they never materialised. Had that lovely chardonnay again - sadly, they don't do my regular dessert any more; I had the chocolate fondant, which I found a bit stodgy. And so on up the road, to drag more stuff from my old flat.

Tomorrow, my only meeting with UITCS this week - we're off to the National for Rutherford and Son. I got the last £32 seat, when I booked! although there are plenty now.

No comments:

Post a Comment