Friday 10 May 2019

Play: The Last Temptation of Boris Johnson

And tonight, the last of three nights in a row with Up in the Cheap Seats - for something completely different - we were off to the Park Theatre for The Last Temptation of Boris JohnsonBrexit, of course, was expected to feature strongly.

After last night, I fancied a Chinese - and when someone put a Chinese-related post on Facebook today, the decision was made! I looked up the closest Chinese to the theatre, which turned out to be Round Square, about 10 minutes' walk away from the venue. The bus was diverted en route, but I still had plenty of time. Had musical entertainment on the journey from the guy behind me, who was listening to a selection of classic rock, with earbuds - either they were leaking sound, or he had it VERY loud.

I walked into a very pleasant restaurant, waited for someone to appear to seat me. While I waited, I noticed a testimonial on the wall from Tony Blair..! It did take some time to seat me, and I thought about leaving. But someone eventually appeared, looked surprised, and sat me by the bar. Service thereafter was with a smile, if not exactly the quickest. I did appreciate the complimentary basket of prawn crackers - something you rarely see now, and very tasty.

I had chicken satay to start - I wouldn't again, here; it was too dry, and the sauce too thick. So, difficult to eat - but I managed. The kung po chicken, on the other hand, was gorgeous. I'd asked for rice with it, and he was surprised - asked me whether I was aware it came on a separate dish. Would you believe, it came as a full-sized portion - a meal in itself! Naturally, I didn't finish it. I guess people normally share it. I accompanied my meal with a very tasty house white, followed by another.

I'd have been out much earlier if he'd served me quicker - for goodness' sake, I was right beside the bar where he was working! I had to peep over the bar to ask him for the bill, and the other waiter had to ask him to get me a card machine. I was finishing my book at the time - sadly, that's the end of the series. :-( (I've already read the last one.) His next isn't due till next year - oh, the suspense..

By the time I made my way to the theatre, two of the group had messaged to say they were already there and waiting in the bar. Fair play, they spotted me as soon as I came in! despite never having met me before. That's good going. The others duly arrived, and we made our separate ways into the theatre not long after.


I was in the back row of the stalls, which isn't very far back at all. The setting for the first act is a dinner party on the night that the Brexit referendum is announced, with Boris, his wife, Michael and Mrs. Gove, and the owner of the Evening Standard, Evgeny Lebedev, in attendance. Boris is trying to decide whether he's on the side of Leave, or of Remain. Ooh, but wait until you meet the uninvited guests! And hold onto your hats for Act II, which takes place 10 years from now, and has a - thunderous - climax.

This is absolutely superb. The impersonations of real people are spot-on (and frequently hilarious), and there are plenty of sly references, both to real-life events surrounding Brexit, and to real-life events involving the characters. You don't need a deep knowledge of politics, but some knowledge will help with the references. I found some of the right-wing views at the start hard going, but hang in there - this is more a parody of Boris' leadership ambitions than anything! And oh, but their predictions for the future are fascinating.. I wish I could tell you, but I can't spoil the surprise! I guess we'll find out how accurate they are.

Verdict - utterly hilarious, right on the pulse, cleverly written. Couldn't recommend it more highly! Runs till the 8th - some shows already sold out, some with limited availability. Go see, go see, go see. Afterwards, we repaired briefly to the upstairs bar - drinks have to be brought from downstairs, as usual. And on my way home, Google Maps thought the bus would be stopping at the wrong bus stop, tsk!

For tomorrow, mention was made last week of Ivan playing piano, at some bar or other. But as a venue wasn't specified, I doubt it'll happen.. Instead, I thought about cinema. Top of the list came Amazing Grace - a documentary about Aretha Franklin, who recorded an album of the same name before a live audience in a church. Apparently, she repeatedly blocked its release while she was still alive! I believe I saw Mick Jagger, in the audience in the trailer.. Anyway, with both showings at the Curzon Bloomsbury sold out, I thought I'd better book when I saw availability at the Rio. I booked the matinee - then remembered I'm supposed to pick up the keys to my new place tomorrow! Still, it shouldn't take too long to get there - the Overground, would you believe, isn't stopping where I need it to, but I've warned the estate agent I'll be a bit later than anticipated, and he says that should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment