Sunday 28 April 2019

Film: Wild Rose & Flamenco - Israel Galván - La Fiesta

Tonight, back with MeetupLondon European Club was off to a flamenco show at Sadler's Wells. Olé! Irresistible. Except.. early today, I checked the list of attendees. And who was coming (RSVPed today) but the Crazy Member.. nuts, I thought, I really want to go to that, but the last thing I want to do is spend all night trying to avoid her. So I cancelled my attendance - nothing I could do about the ticket.

Said I'd go to the cinema instead - and it was about time I went to see Wild Rose. It's kind of the country version of A Star Is Born - and I don't like country that much: but it's getting rave reviews, and the trailer looked ok, so.. It's been out a while, and by now the nearest place it was showing was in the BFI; when I checked, it was already mostly sold out! So I booked. Got the last seat that wasn't in the front row. It was a matinée, and I was just in nice time to catch the bus.

Well, I say nice time - it was actually about to pull out from the stop as I rounded the corner. I hate running for buses - wouldn't have bothered at all, but for the lady that ran ahead of me, for whom the driver waited. So, with a sigh, I ran too - she was still fiddling with her card when I got on.

So I got to the cinema even earlier than I predicted. I was a bit peckish, so checked out the café - I see they now have a cake and gelato counter! So gee, I ended up with - yes, yet another slice of lemon drizzle cake. This is becoming a habit. And very nice it was, too - and, I must say, a lot cheaper than that at the Curzon Soho.. By the time I was finished, the cinema was open, and I went in - as usual, missing the program notes they always provide just inside the door, and having to go back for them. It is a nice feature of coming here.

This film, set mostly in an overcast Glasgow, tells the story of wannabe country singer Jessie Buckley, who has a number of things blocking her career plans. There's the fact that she's just out of jail, and wearing an ankle tag that requires her to be at her registered address between 7pm and 7am. There's the fact that she has two small kids. And there's her mother (Dame Julie Walters), who treads a delicate line between trying to make her live up to her responsibilities and trying not to block her hopes and dreams. Mind you, on the other side, there's the rich lady (Sophie Okonedo), for whom she cleans, and who is blown away when she hears her sing, and encourages her any way she can. "Whispering" Bob Harris, the Radio 2 presenter, appears as himself.

See, my reservations about seeing this were as follows; I am not that crazy about country, and thought I'd have an overdose of it. I thought it'd be mawkish. I thought it'd be typically Glaswegianly depressing. And which of those happened? None of the above! She's a beautiful singer, and the songs - some original - are truly moving and perfectly chosen. The kids are sweet, but never too much - and as for it being depressing? Not a bit of it! Yes, the sky is perpetually overcast, and yes, when she does get to Nashville (spoiler!), the skies are blue. But the whole thing is peppered by wit, and her enthusiasm is infectious. Oh, and it's not a typical "A Star Is Born" storyline either - go see, find out for yourselves.

On the bus back, I noticed that they've cleaned off most (not all) of the graffiti on Waterloo Bridge, from the recent Extinction Rebellion protest! I saw much more when I last crossed it, on Wednesday. I decided just to try the Meetup page and see whether there'd been any change - and lo, my nemesis had cancelled her attendance! Well, lovely. I changed my RSVP - as soon as a dodgy internet connection would let me -  got off early, and schlepped up the road to The Old Red Lion Theatre Pub, where the group was to meet.



That dog is quite the celebrity:




His dog bed lies near the back, but he hangs out wherever. Me, I headed to the (smelly) toilet - there's only one, but a sofa is provided outside for the queue. I then got a drink - and when I got to the table, saw the pie menu. I hadn't had time to organise food, with all the change of schedule - so I ordered the "moo" pie (steak and craft ale). They also have "moo & blue" (with cheese), "the free-ranger" (chicken), "Heidi" (vegetarian, with cheese etc.), and "Kevin" (vegan, with mushroom and tomato in a red wine sauce).

A sign outside proclaims these award-winning pies - I dunno about that, but mine was tasty enough. I'm guessing they're not made on the premises - and perhaps mine would've been better but for the stodgy gravy served with it, which probably was. Anyway, it filled the spot. The pub as a whole is quite dark and dingy-looking, but service comes with a smile and the wine is decent. And those who showed up there had a good chat until it was time for the short walk to the theatre.



Most of us were sat in the same row, in the rear of the second circle. But you know, it was a shame to leave so many empty seats in front of us. So we didn't.



Nine rows further forward, and maybe over twice the price. Nice! As was remarked during our chat, you don't expect conventionality - and sure enough, this was flamenco with a difference. Modelled, apparently, on what flamenco performers get up to after the show, it was a deconstruction of flamenco. Some dancers had the costume, some sang, some danced, some played guitar. Almost no-one coordinated what they were doing with anyone else. And towards the end, it got - literally as well as metaphorically - dark: perhaps an exploration of the darker side of the music.

Predictably, it received a mixed response. I noticed a couple of audience members leave at one point. Some of our group absolutely hated it. Me.. I appreciated the bits of familiar flamenco that I heard and saw. There was a lot of flamenco-style clapping, which I happily closed my eyes and listened to. There was some very accomplished dancing, and some truly amazing singing. I had had enough as the end drew near - to be fair, that coincided with a great lack of any traditional elements at all to focus on. And as I remarked at the end, if that's what they get up to after a show, I pity whoever has to clean up after them; the stage was a mess! Anyway, it was great to see everyone. Delighted I could go. That'll be my last Meetup for a while.

Tomorrow, our team social continues, though our team is no more! A large group of employees - past, present, and present but considering their options, but all friends - is headed to the excellent Le Sacré Coeur, which I ate at a while ago. Should be a great night.

On Tuesday, back with my cheap ticket club for Omid Singh, back at 2 Northdown.

On Wednesday, the Crick Crack Club is back with their Archetype Series - this one is Rebels & Heroes, which should provide plenty of material. Participants this time are Hugh LuptonJan Blake, and Nell Phoenix - and the customary newcomer. And as usual, there'll be a Q+A. An excellent night is expected! It's back at Rich Mix.

On Thursday, we're having yet another set of drinks to celebrate our recent redundancies - one of our number was on holiday for the last lot! So we'll be back at The Draft House, I think. Then I'm back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend.

On the 7th, I'm treating myself to a trip back to the Globe! It's been so long.. Henry IV, Part I is the occasion. Hope the weather's warmed up a bit, or I might be renting one of their cosy blankets..

And the next three days are all with Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 8th, we're at the Royal Opera House for a mixed programme by the Royal Ballet.

On the 9th, we're back to Sadler's Wells for the opening night of Yang Liping's Rite of Spring.

And on the 10th - for something completely different - we're off to the Park Theatre for The Last Temptation of Boris JohnsonBrexit, of course, should feature strongly..

No comments:

Post a Comment