Friday 12 April 2019

Play: Sitting

First day of garden leave! I woke late, decided to treat myself to brunch out, and ended up in Nando's on City Road. D'you know, I've passed this one so many times, but never gone in there - and yet I love Nando's!

Gotta say, it was one of the better Nando's I've had - I had my usual, with lemon & herb sauce (I know, mild - but they go so spicy here!). The chicken was ever so slightly chewy - but the sauce was the best I've had: absolutely delicious. The garlic bread was a bit crispy, but very moreish - and the mash was lovely. The chocolate cake didn't disappoint, either, and the chenin blanc was most refreshing.

So, all good then. Except for the table next to me, which was occupied by a family who took issue with their order, and called the waiter back to amend it. Fair enough - there was some problem with a side, and one of them ordered wings and only got one. Well, but you have never heard such a tirade.. and when the waiter brought an extra wing on a separate plate for her, he made the mistake of saying, "Here's your additional wing."

Uh-oh. Now, let me clarify that this guy isn't a native English speaker, and so his phrasing might leave something to be desired. She absolutely exploded, exclaiming that that wasn't an "additional" wing, but rather she was entitled to it, and it hadn't been brought till she made an issue of it. As the manager tried to calm her down, the waiter made a swift exit and got on with his job. Jeez though, this woman was a nightmare - never stopped complaining to her companion for the rest of the meal about how rude the service was, went up to the till TWICE to complain again! I mean, what..?! Oh, and the irony? She took most of it home with her. Dunno whether it was too much food, or had just gone cold while she was complaining. It was a relief to get out of there - kudos to the waiting staff for putting up with her and her ilk. As they say, dealing with the public is like chewing razor blades.

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), at SittingKatherine Parkinson's debut play, at the Arcola. One of the group decided to head a bit early, and I said I'd join him - I had redundancy news to impart, after all! So I wandered up - and boy, did I need the exercise; this is a longer walk than I normally have. I wouldn't have walked, had I been going to/from the office, which is a bit further away from the theatre. Passed a most jolly-looking funeral on the way in.. Ordered a most refreshing white wine at the bar, and a couple of us who were there early found a table in the lobby - where the others eventually joined us.

We were all sat pretty much together, in what is a small theatre anyway - Studio 2. My seat had great legroom, with no-one in front of me - but they weren't the most comfortable. Still, there's no interval, and it's only just over an hour long. Blank canvases adorn the stage, for this play about people who sit for portraits - and it starts most entertainingly, with a gent who comes in and immediately strips off, thinking the painting is going to be a nude! He's wrong, and quickly gets his kit on again, to uproarious laughter - most welcome for me, as of course my cough chose the start of the play to make itself felt! I took a Strepsil that was in my bag, but what cured me quickest was being able to cough during the fits of laughter in the audience..

Three sitters reproduce conversations with the artist, to hilarious effect, overlapping slightly with each other. This actually wrongfooted me, as I thought this was essentially as far as the plot was going to go - but as the play progresses, it gets more serious, and right at the end - as you might suspect - the three stories are interlinked in a rather unexpected way. The writing is sharp, and there are some nice, subtle political jokes. I dunno about my companions, but I wasn't paying sufficient attention - confusion about the finer points of the plot caused a discussion that lasted for ages in the bar afterwards! But it was great fun, and lovely not to rush off. Runs till the 11th - highly recommended. 

Tomorrow, the London European Club belatedly advertised a Brahms concert at St. James' Church, Bermondsey. Hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn, and again, it'll be lovely to see her, after such a long time! Free, with donations gratefully accepted.

On Sunday, back with the Crick Crack Club for another welcome, relaxing Sunday afternoon at the British Museum. Even though I have to get up a bit earlier than today or tomorrow. This is Metamorphoses: Ovid's Tales of Transformation, with Hugh Lupton and Daniel Morden. My now ex-boss - Ivan - is coming along, as a newly minted fan of storytelling! And we'll meet an ex-colleague afterwards - not such a fan of storytelling.

On Monday, I'm going to The Amatis Piano Trio, at the Purcell Room in the Southbank Centre.

On Tuesday, back with UITCS for a charity gig at the Backyard Comedy Club. Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - by the time I got around to booking flights, that was the closest reasonably cheap date! Flying back to London on Easter Monday.

On the 23rd, with UITCS again for Come From Away, finally, at the Phoenix. I've heard so much about this award-winning show, it's about time I saw it, eh?

On the 24th, back with London Literary Walks for his Elephant and Castle Walk. Another popular one.

And on the 25th - considering I'll still be on garden leave, and my days will be nice and free, I'm meeting 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! for a walk about A History of Chelsea - from quaint to Quant. Starting in the morning, we're meeting in the bar of the Royal Court, and will have lunch after the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment