Friday 26 April 2019

Film: Eighth Grade

Today, I thought of film - and what came up was Eighth Grade, opening today, about the final week of an unfortunate teen in middle school. (Higher-rated offerings didn't appeal.) The trailer looks quite appealing - quite funny. Showing in Rich Mix - I planned for the earlier showing. Never actually been to the cinema there before!

Gee, when I left my food in a bag in the fridge, my flatmate left it alone..! So I did get to eat before I left. And I could walk to this venue - Google Maps, as usual, was a lifesaver, despite wanting me to slip in the back entrance. Just as well I knew better. Now, Rich Mix has an interesting procedure for the cinema - they have a red line, leading along the floor from the entrance, to show you the way. They advertise this on the website, and sure enough, there it was. Anyway, first I approached the box office for a ticket - which he sold me, although strangely his first instinct was to give me one for the later showing! I know the public website doesn't allow ticket purchase within an hour of the performance, but surely he should have had access.. anyway, I asked whether there wasn't one earlier, and duly got my ticket. "Follow the red line," he said.

First, the line takes you to the back, and to Level 1, where there is a cinema box office and concession stand. (There is a lift.) A long corridor follows - which was quite dark as I walked through, an usher relaxing in one of the chairs along the way. Checking my ticket, he informed me that Screen 3 - where I was headed - was on the top floor. And reminded me about the lift. And sure enough, each of the screens is on a separate floor up - arrive early if you plan to take the stairs, it's quite a climb!

Interesting wallpaper once you get there - look closely:


I was first into the screen, and as predicted by the guy at the box office, there weren't many more - he assured me I was free to change my seat, which I did. And so, the film.. The only actor I recognised in this was Josh Hamilton, who plays the clueless but devoted single father - although I'm guessing I'll hear a lot more about Elsie Fisher, the star, in years to come.

I don't normally watch coming-of-age stuff - I tend to find it twee, or derivative. Aw man though, they've reworked it here! It's actually - real! The star is pimply-faced and gauche, a bit plump, a bit geeky, always saying the wrong thing. All the predicaments she finds herself in are realistic, all the characters are believable. The mean, popular, non-spotty girl with the nerdy cousin, the guy with the dreamy eyes that makes her go ga-ga every time he walks in the room (despite being one of life's major jerks) - and her poor dad, trying desperately to connect with this increasingly insane-behaving teenager that lives in his house. Oh Lord, most of the time I didn't know whether to laugh or cringe. Actually, most of the time I wanted to give her a hug. Everyone's been in at least one of the situations depicted here. But seriously, I have to ask - is there no discipline at all in American schools..?

Truly worth a look - go see. On my way out, when I was again glad of the red line, curiously, I ran into a sea of people - so many that it was hard to squeeze my way through! The Avengers movie, I suppose.. which would've been my choice if I were into such things.

After seeing the chicken nuggets meal in the film - well, I just had to have a KFC. So I schlepped off - in a biting wind - to find one. Unfortunately, there was no room to sit - but it was just across from Liverpool Street Station, so I headed in there to eat, out of the wind. And it was piping hot and just delicious. Even though they seem to have forgotten my fries, and popped in sauce sachets instead of dips. I'd forgotten to bring a spoon for the beans I asked for as a side, so they didn't get eaten, sadly. And Storm Hannah hit on the way home, as it poured rain on me.

Meetup actually has a few things on tomorrow. But none grabs me more than any other - and when I checked what's coming up top of the film list, it actually looked more attractive! A Tous Ceux Qui ne Me Lisent pas (To All Those Who Don't Read Me) is a comedy about a hapless poet. And he seems an appealing chap. Showing in the Curzon Soho at 1pm - but then, I shouldn't be too late to bed; I'm certainly glad to be in, on a night like this! Doesn't seem to be booking out, but I should keep an eye on it - this cinema tends to fill up at the last minute!

On Sunday, back with Meetup - London European Club is off to a flamenco show at Sadler's Wells. Olé! Irresistible.

On Monday, our team social continues, though our team is no more! A large group of employees - past, present, and present but considering their options, but all friends - is headed to the excellent Le Sacré Coeur, which I ate at a while ago. Should be a great night.

On Tuesday, back with my cheap ticket club for Omid Singh, back at 2 Northdown.

On Wednesday, the Crick Crack Club is back with their Archetype Series - this one is Rebels & Heroes, which should provide plenty of material. Participants this time are Hugh Lupton, Jan Blake, and Nell Phoenix - and the customary newcomer. And as usual, there'll be a Q+A. An excellent night is expected! It's back at Rich Mix.

On Thursday, we're having yet another set of drinks to celebrate our recent redundancies - one of our number was on holiday for the last lot! So we'll be back at The Draft House, I think. Then I'm back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend.

On the 7th, I'm treating myself to a trip back to the Globe! It's been so long.. Henry IV, Part I is the occasion. Hope the weather's warmed up a bit, or I might be renting one of their cosy blankets..

And the next three days are all with Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 8th, we're at the Royal Opera House for a mixed programme by the Royal Ballet.

On the 9th, we're back to Sadler's Wells for the opening night of Yang Liping's Rite of Spring.

And on the 10th - for something completely different - we're off to the Park Theatre for The Last Temptation of Boris Johnson! Brexit, of course, should feature strongly..

No comments:

Post a Comment