Wednesday 10 April 2019

Walk: Spies in Pimlico

Tonight, finally back with London Literary Walks, after a winter drought! This walk is called Spies in Pimlico, and it'd be great to see him. Apparently a reprise of a previous walk, but I hadn't made that one. We were to meet in The Bag o' Nails beforehand..

It was a funny kind of day - in the middle of the day, I had a job interview. Near enough that I could walk there and on to the office, and it was gloriously sunny, and even hot in the sunshine! So I felt overdressed. Freezing cold breeze, though. By the end of tonight's walk, mind, I was shivering with cold. Impossible to dress correctly for the whole day.


Just as I was thinking of leaving, our redundancy meetings were belatedly scheduled for tomorrow. Cue much chat among those generally affected by this wave of redundancies, on our WhatsApp group - so I was running a bit late, and ended up on the Tube. A bit less crowded than usual, by that stage, but still packed - and when I exited at Victoria, I had no idea which way to turn! Bus would've been easier. Thank goodness for Google Maps, which directed me right.


Funnily enough, turns out that the name is a play on the word "Bacchanalian"! More was to come, with the restaurant that caters to both Ceylonese and Sri Lankans:


This walk took us through many pleasant, white-painted, affluent streets and squares - none more so than Victoria Square, with its statue of an unusually young Queen Victoria:


We heard several spy stories, and passed many houses where famous people had stayed. Oh, and the Blue Cross. ;-)


We started off with a large group - not the full complement, but most. But this was a long walk on a cold night, and by the end we were down to a hardcore few, for a drink in The Gallery. Whose blast of hot air was so welcome after the frigid outdoors! I tell you, after a long day, I was just glad to sit. And then I bent their ear with grumps about work. Well, I needed a rant. And it was good to see them again, after quite a while. Interesting point about here - the table beside ours held a couple when we arrived, who duly left, leaving half-finished meals and drinks! You might find a rational explanation for that - until the table in the corner also left half their dinner, which they wrapped in foil to take away. So what is it - bad food, or just large portions?

Took buses back. Tomorrow, I was supposed to be back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) in Southwark Playhouse, for The Rubenstein Kiss. But then everything started to go down.. first, we found out that a colleague is leaving, and has his leaving drinks that night. Then we found out we're at risk of redundancy, and will find out that day! which could, therefore, be our last day in the company. Probably, given the "all-hands" meeting last week, to which some people (me included) weren't invited! Anyway, drinks are the order of the day - I've cancelled. Which is a bummer, not only because this is supposed to be good, but also as I bought this subscription that entitles me to five discounted tickets.. and this is the second that I booked with it and have had to cancel!

On Friday, back with UITCS, at SittingKatherine Parkinson's debut play, at the Arcola.

On Saturday, the London European Club belatedly advertised a Brahms concert at St. James' Church, Bermondsey. Hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn, and again, it'll be lovely to see her, after such a long time! Free, with donations gratefully accepted.

On Sunday, back with the Crick Crack Club for another welcome, relaxing Sunday afternoon at the British Museum. This is Metamorphoses: Ovid's Tales of Transformation, with Hugh Lupton and Daniel Morden. You never know, I might be able to persuade some others along!

On Monday, I'm going to The Amatis Piano Trio, at the Purcell Room in the Southbank Centre.

On Tuesday, back with UITCS for a charity gig at the Backyard Comedy Club. Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - by the time I got around to booking flights, that was the closest reasonably cheap date! Flying back to London on Easter Monday.

On the 23rd, with UITCS again for Come From Away, finally, at the Phoenix. I've heard so much about this award-winning show, it's about time I saw it, eh?

And on the 24th, back with London Literary Walks for his Elephant and Castle Walk. Another popular one.

No comments:

Post a Comment