Sunday 14 April 2019

Storytelling: Metamorphoses - Ovid's Tales of Transformation

Today, back with the Crick Crack Club for another welcome, relaxing Sunday afternoon at the British Museum. Even though I had to get up a bit earlier than the past two days - but then, I went to bed early last night. This was Metamorphoses: Ovid's Tales of Transformation, with Hugh Lupton and Daniel Morden. My now ex-boss - Ivan - was coming along, as a newly minted fan of storytelling - but now he's off jamming with his mates. Next time, hopefully. And we were to meet an ex-colleague afterwards - not such a fan of storytelling. But we can do that another time.

I actually left early - intended to buy some food, but neither nearby supermarket had what I wanted, so I said there was no point in coming back! As I passed the office, there seemed to be a religious meeting outside.. an exorcism, perhaps? ;-) Anyway, I made it to the museum an hour early. While in the queue, we had a distraction:



..and once in, I just mooched around - even if you're not buying anything, the gift shop in the Central Court is worth a look.


 

I was there early enough that I had to queue downstairs as well - they hadn't even opened the doors! Jeez, I've never before been that early here. Anyway, took myself a nice, central seat - I don't know why, but this is the only venue where I never go to the front row.

Predictably, they started late - I'm not complaining, have often had occasion to be glad of that. Accompanied by singing bowls, and in Daniel Morden's case, a small bell, they set up an unearthly atmosphere - only disturbed, for me, by the plump couple beside me, who seemed set on maintaining their girth by tucking into a packet of what looked like dates. So, I got plastic and eating sounds - thanks guys.

Anyway. There wasn't a story here that I hadn't heard before - but it's a terrific atmosphere, and these are masters of the craft. Set within the encompassing tale of the weaving competition between Athena and Arachne (who was duly turned into a spider), the ensuing stories were set out in the pictures they drew on their looms. And, just like Arachne, each involved a transformation: Narcissus into a flower, Baucis and Philemon into trees (one of my favourites) - and Midas, his gold escapades over, got the ears of an ass! which exactly mirrors the Irish legend of Labraid Loingseach (Larry Lynch). Funny, the images that hop across cultural barriers.

Afterwards, I was delighted to fill in one of the surveys they were passing around - and how sensible of them to provide free pens. And since I hadn't managed to buy dinner in the supermarket, I said, well, Bloomsbury is full of good Italian restaurants - and the closest is Amarcord Museum. It turned out to be almost empty - and the manager was keen enough to open the door for me as soon as he saw me looking at the menu. (He and the other waiter - his son, perhaps? both charming! spent much of the time after standing outside. I wonder whether that works better here than on Brick Lane.) So I took a seat in the window.


I was to be glad I ate here. I had minestrone - which was greener than I'm used to, but with the optional black pepper, did a power of good for my cold. And was a good insulator against the cold weather! Main course was mushroom chicken - I've had it done in a wine sauce in the past, but the non-alcoholic version provided here still works well. The chicken was lovely. And the sauté potatoes were gorgeous - crisp and tasty. The sauvignon was nice.. and would you believe, they'd run out of chocolate mousse for dessert! Never mind, the profiteroles were very moreish, large and covered in sauce as they were. To be recommended, and a decent price.

On the bus back - which came just as I did - I found myself between a lady playing what sounded like political songs on her phone, and an older guy, animatedly talking to himself. I tell you, the Tube is never that entertaining! I got off to a stiff, freezing cold breeze, much worse than in Bloomsbury. Brr..

Tomorrow, I'm going to The Amatis Piano Trio, at the Purcell Room in the Southbank Centre.

On Tuesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for a charity gig at the Backyard Comedy Club. Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - by the time I got around to booking flights, that was the closest reasonably cheap date! Flying back to London on Easter Monday.

On the 23rd, with UITCS again for Come From Away, finally, at the Phoenix. I've heard so much about this award-winning show, it's about time I saw it, eh?

On the 24th, back with London Literary Walks for his Elephant and Castle Walk. Another popular one.

And on the 25th - considering I'll still be on garden leave, and my days will be nice and free - I'm meeting 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! for a walk about A History of Chelsea - from quaint to Quant. Starting in the morning, we're meeting in the bar of the Royal Court, and will have lunch after the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment