Tuesday 30 April 2019

Restaurant: Le Sacré Coeur & Pub: The Craft Beer Company

Last night, our team social continued, though our team is no more! A large group of employees - past, present, and present but considering their options, but all friends - was headed to the excellent Le Sacré Coeur, which I ate at a while ago. Promised to be be a great night.

Ivan suggested meeting up beforehand for a drink or several, and I duly obliged - we met at the King's Head, just around the corner from the restaurant. He'd never been there before, and I was glad to be able to enlighten him about the pub's other incarnation as a theatre - you really cannot believe the quality of performances in theatre pubs all around London. Anyway, it was great to see him again as we caught up on all that had happened in the 18 days (!) since we'd last seen each other.


When it was time, we headed for the restaurant. Our numbers were somewhat depleted by several last-minute cancellations, but that just made it more manageable, as we occupied a long string of tables, much where I sat the last time. We were the first there, but it wasn't long before we were joined by several.

I went with the same starter as before (stuffed mushrooms), which was gorgeous, again, but more filling than I'd remembered.. I think the bottle of wine I'd just downed in the pub had somewhat dampened my appetite. I managed that, but had unwisely chosen the lamb stew for main. Unfortunately, anything red-meat based tends to be heavy here, and I really wasn't able for it. Still, I left room for that chocolate mousse dessert, which does indeed have a perfect, crumbly texture - and the wine flowed freely. Damn that Ivan though - those who left early paid their share, but when we who stayed later came to leave, we discovered that he'd covered the rest of the bill..!


And so on to a pub - whose name I failed to catch, sorry! And when we were chucked out, we were down to four who weren't ready to call it a night - so I suggested we go to the Hippodrome, that handy all-night venue. Where we snuggled into a cosy corner of the lounge until that closed, some time after 2, then Ivan and I went to the main bar for a bit before we finally folded, too.


I went straight to bed - no blogging - because I had an appointment with an estate agent this afternoon. Fruitless, I might add. This evening, I had booked with my cheap ticket club for Omid Singh, back at 2 Northdown - but then an ex-colleague, also job-hunting, messaged to say he had an interview in the area, and did I want to meet for a drink? Cue a nice evening's chat in the Craft Beer Co, and after he headed home - as I hadn't had time to eat properly - I headed for Nando's. Where I had pretty much the same as always, except for a quarter chicken, because I was entitled to one for free on my Nando's card. And on top of that, they were so frazzled by the time I was ready for dessert - I had to go and order it at the counter myself, unusually - that I got it for free. They usually take payment straight away, but had neither remembered to do that, nor billed me. So, a very good value meal then..

Tomorrow, the Crick Crack Club is back with their Archetype Series - this one is Rebels & Heroes, which should provide plenty of material. Participants this time are Hugh LuptonJan Blake, and Nell Phoenix - and the customary newcomer. And as usual, there'll be a Q+A. An excellent night is expected! It's back at Rich Mix. I've invited Ivan, who's a big fan of Jan Blake - hope he decides to come, he'd get a real kick out of it.

On Thursday, were to have yet another set of drinks to celebrate our recent redundancies - one of our number was on holiday for the last lot! So we'd be back at The Draft House. But that isn't happening now - so I'm going back to my original plan, of joining the Spooky London Paranormal Pub Meetup at the Viaduct. Then I'm back to Ireland for the Bank Holiday weekend.

Next Tuesday, I'm treating myself to a trip back to the Globe! It's been so long.. Henry IV, Part I is the occasion. Hope the weather's warmed up a bit, or I might be renting one of their cosy blankets..

The next three days are all with Up in the Cheap Seats. On the 8th, we're at the Royal Opera House for a mixed programme by the Royal Ballet.

On the 9th, we're back to Sadler's Wells for the opening night of Yang Liping's Rite of Spring.

And on the 10th - for something completely different - we're off to the Park Theatre for The Last Temptation of Boris JohnsonBrexit, of course, should feature strongly..

On the 11th, mention was made last night of Ivan playing piano, at some bar or other. So I feel a field trip coming on!

No comments:

Post a Comment