Saturday 13 April 2019

RBCS Spring Concert

Tonight, the London European Club belatedly advertised a Brahms concert at St. James' Church, Bermondsey. Hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn, whose events I don't get to nearly enough - it's been such a long time! Free, with donations gratefully accepted.

So, after a lovely, lazy day, I headed out. Caught a bus, then had to change at London Bridge - which was where I discovered that I really didn't have enough clothes on. That wait for the next bus was frigid! The sheer number of buses calling to the stop created a distraction. At least the bus arrived before Google Maps' prediction.. and I arrived quite early for the concert. As I was passing a Tesco on the way, I stopped in for a snack - cold weather makes a person hungry, you know.

Unlike some parts of town, Bermondsey isn't short of litter bins, so I was ok with disposing of packaging. When I entered the church, there was no sign of Eleanor - so I just took a seat in an empty pew: one with a cushion, and in such a position that I was directly in line with one of the overhead heaters. Not that it honestly did much good.. I was a block of ice all night, and kept my coat on the whole time. Just like everyone else.


This was a performance by the Rotherhithe and Bermondsey Choral Society, and kudos to them, they have some spectacular soloists! Indeed, with such large numbers, they made a terrific sound in this church: although they did look a little squashed, in amongst the orchestra. And my apologies, also. What IS it with my cough, that it waits until precisely the start of the show to flare up? Could it be psychosomatic? Mercifully, I had one last Strepsil in my bag, which took care of it. No problem for the rest of the evening, of course.

The concert consisted of seven choruses - and as the conductor advised us, the first (the one I coughed through) is quieter, more tranquil. By 'eck, she wasn't joking! They fairly blew us away from the second one on - and it was all we could do to reserve the applause for the end. Free programmes provided a translation from the German, which was much appreciated - and came with a donation envelope. Very good idea, although I didn't have much cash on me.

By the end, I couldn't locate Eleanor, and although there were refreshments, I was too cold to hang around, frankly. So I didn't. But I hadn't been here before, and it was a lovely evening. If cold. And a very, very cold journey back. Delighted to be in.

Tomorrow, back with the Crick Crack Club for another welcome, relaxing Sunday afternoon at the British Museum. Even though I have to get up a bit earlier than the past two days. This is Metamorphoses: Ovid's Tales of Transformation, with Hugh Lupton and Daniel Morden. My now ex-boss - Ivan - was coming along, as a newly minted fan of storytelling - but now he's off jamming with his mates. Next time, hopefully. And we were to meet an ex-colleague afterwards - not such a fan of storytelling. But we can do that another time.

On Monday, I'm going to The Amatis Piano Trio, at the Purcell Room in the Southbank Centre.

On Tuesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for a charity gig at the Backyard Comedy Club. Then I'm back to Ireland for Easter - by the time I got around to booking flights, that was the closest reasonably cheap date! Flying back to London on Easter Monday.

On the 23rd, with UITCS again for Come From Away, finally, at the Phoenix. I've heard so much about this award-winning show, it's about time I saw it, eh?

On the 24th, back with London Literary Walks for his Elephant and Castle Walk. Another popular one.

And on the 25th - considering I'll still be on garden leave, and my days will be nice and free - I'm meeting 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! for a walk about A History of Chelsea - from quaint to Quant. Starting in the morning, we're meeting in the bar of the Royal Court, and will have lunch after the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment