Wednesday 3 October 2018

Musical: Eugenius! & Film: A Star Is Born

Last night, another thing I'd heard great things about - I took myself to Eugenius, at The Other Palace. Finally, after all the praise I've heard of it.. This theatre used to be known as St. James', and is bad for legroom - take an aisle seat if you're at all lanky of leg! Anyway, yesterday evening's meetings finished in plenty of time, and I took myself off. I saw that the bus would involve changing to the 38, which goes down Shaftesbury Avenue.. which is a lovely route, but frustratingly slow in the early evening.. but I said, hell, I'd risk it.

The bus I was aiming for, from the office - I just missed. I did have a couple of options, though - and rather than waiting for the next (rarely the best option if you're in a hurry, and have a choice), I made for the other bus stop, and caught a 55. Changed to find a 38 right behind me, which I boarded 10 minutes earlier than Google Maps said I needed to, to get there in time. Which was a good thing, as it takes at least five minutes at that time of day just to crawl down the stretch of road outside our old office.. whose reception, I see, has now been gutted. I was getting a bit worried at our slow pace, but it was truly lovely to pass through the West End in the dusk, seeing the lighted small shops and theatres.. have I mentioned that I really miss living around here? Roll on the lights of Christmas..

We did make it in time, and I got to the theatre with five minutes to spare (so Google Maps was a bit optimistic) - the audience was just filing in, so all was well. Plus, I had the nearside aisle seat in the back row - aisle seat for legroom, back row for price! Quick and easy to get to. It also has the advantage that you don't have to navigate the stairs.. there's actually a warning sign up to take care on these, and indeed someone did stumble at the interval. Something weird about them.

So, I do need the aisle seat for the legroom, and things were made easier for me after the interval, when the guy in the seat beside me didn't return. You could tell he wouldn't, the way he determinedly put on his jacket as he was leaving. Anyway, I could now swivel in either direction. As for the view - generally fine, no pillars to get in the way: but the top of the stage is partially obscured, from the back rows, by the lighting fixtures on the ceiling - which is a real issue for this show, a lot of which takes place on the platform above the stage. Mostly, I was miffed at not being able to see the screen on the back wall, which did play a large part:



Well, it wasn't long before we started this tale of a teenage boy, Eugene (a geek, rather than a nerd, the difference between which is duly explained to us). He always has his nose in a sketchbook, where he's designing a superhero comic strip. However, he is soon to find that real life presents him with the opportunity to find the real superhero inside himself!

It's set in the 80s, so it really helps if you are a fan - tv and movie references abound, and it's really true to the spirit of the age. All your stock characters are here - the geeks, the jocks that go out with the cheerleaders, the corporate types that want to buy Eugene's idea. The movie producer is v Miami Vice. Honestly, for me though, it didn't really take off in the first half, which seemed a bit clichéd - the songs, though excellently performed, didn't blow me away, and I derived more pleasure from listening to the 80s hits that played over the interval.

But wow, the second half.. this show really benefits from the zany world of comic books, and they go all-out! We have Spandex, we have a villain or two.. and we have a group of plucky geeks who save the world. We also have one of the most memorable finale numbers ever - for goodness' sake, they repeat the chorus enough! and they actively encourage you to share on social media. By the last choruses, they literally had everyone on their feet, clapping and singing along - and yes, once I escaped the crammed lobby, where people were having selfies taken behind a branded picture frame, I was singing that chorus all the way down the road.. Runs till 3rd March. Go see, cheer yourself up! Booking recommended - last night was mostly full.

With a choice of three buses, it wasn't long before one came. And I despaired of the 55 ever coming, to take me the last leg of the way - even the Bus Countdown App wasn't showing it! Arrived early, all the same.. Still, no blog then, as you'll have noticed.. I've been busy, y'see. ;-) Brace yourselves.

Tonight, I was thinking film - so it took a while to sort out the film list. Top of the list, anyway, came A Star is Born - the latest incarnation of this is directed and produced by, and stars, Bradley Cooper as a rock/country star whose career is on the downturn, and who discovers a new talent (Lady Gaga, looking as mainstream as I've seen her!). Also stars Sam Elliott, as Bradley Cooper's (much) older half-brother, and has a cameo from Alec Baldwin as the host of Saturday Night Live, where the newborn star makes her tv debut. General consensus has been it's very good, so I was looking forward to this - closest showing is in Hackney Picturehouse. Well, the closest showing at a time I could make, given my evening meeting! I booked just before I left, seeing that there was a last-minute rush and it was now mostly sold out.

Again, I was taking the 55 - in the opposite direction. And wouldn't you know it, the one that came was only going part of the way, disgorging a mass of us opposite Shoreditch Town Hall to wait for the next one. And wouldn't you know it - radio silence from the app again!! Must have a blind spot when it comes to the 55. Anyway, one did happen along in due course, and dropped me right across the road from the cinema. I'd forgotten, but I was here once before - I was living on the other side of town at that stage, and had a much longer journey! Still managed to be late tonight, like then, but as I often have before, I consoled myself with the thought of all the ads they put on beforehand. Showed my ticket to the manager, who was wandering around the lobby - another advantage of booking in advance, I didn't have to queue - and clambered up the steps to the third floor, for Screen 2.

Well. People are clamouring about this film - mainly because of Lady Gaga. Not just because she's a celebrity, whose acting debut this is, but because she's famous for her extravagant outfits. And here, she starts off - normal! Apparently makeup-free, although that's under debate in the media. If you like, we get to see her Gaga persona develop, and she's much more recognisable by the end. As for her voice - I always thought she had a great voice, and boy, does she showcase it here! Apparently, the germ of the idea to make the film came when Bradley Cooper saw her perform at a private party in someone's house. Perfect.

She also plays piano to accompany herself, and indeed, he sings and plays the guitar. Really well. And you know what? Seems every frame was performed live - including crowd shots that were taken at the Pyramid Stage in Glastonbury, where the crowd was waiting for Kris Kristofferson to come on! Someone from Metallica was doing the filming. Epic.

And yes, it is. Practically the whole film is shot in close-up, which heightens the intensity - most noticeable at the tense beginning, when we're focused on her nerves, and her complete - and believable - shock when he invites her onstage at a major concert! Also at the emotional end, which had me in floods of tears. (Predictably - I'm like that.) The chemistry between them is terrific. It starts as a dazzling whirlwind, with the established star falling in love with his protégée, and things happening very fast. But are they happening too fast? Is her success threatening his superior standing? Does he feel threatened? Most especially as things start to go downhill, I noticed some direction that I thought was very clever - the story told nearly in snapshots, with just key scenes exposing the plot. Unnecessary words are not spoken. A concise piece of film-making.

Absolutely blew me away - and with Lady Gaga singing over the closing credits, it was a few minutes before anyone at all felt like leaving. I cannot recommend this highly enough - it's the best film I've seen since Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, in January.

Once I found my way out of this complicated building (followed the crowd), I had an easy bus ride back - in the company of a young band, hauling their instruments, would you believe! Tomorrow, I'm back with Meetup, in the form of Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), back at Wilton's for Sketching.

On Friday, the U2 circus is in town again (figuratively speaking) - I'm off to Amsterdam. The actual concerts aren't until Sunday and Monday, but I'm going for the weekend: a relaxing one, given that they've played here often enough before that I've seen all the sights I want to! Sunday's concert, I had to get a ticket for from Viagogo, but Monday's I managed to get from Ticketmaster (TM), the official vendors. The concerts are in the Ziggo Dome again, and I'm staying in Hampshire Hotel Eden, handy for Rembrandtplein, where the restaurants are, and for the no. 4 metro line to the venue. I just hope the stairs are less steep than the last place! Flights (Easyjet) and hotel booked through Expedia.

Flying back Tuesday lunchtime, taking the whole day off, naturally, and that evening I'm back with UITCS for The Height of the Storm, at Wyndham's. Booked through What's on Stage.

Next Wednesday, I'm with Let's Do This for another Turkish meal - this time at Sofra. It'll also be the first time since June I'll have met Mary!


On the 11th, film again - already booked though, because they were already selling out. It's part of the London Film Festival at the BFI - Be Natural is the story of Alice Guy - Blaché, the first female filmmaker, and is narrated by Jodie Foster. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, again.

On the 15th, back with North London Friends for The Wild Duck, by Ibsen, at the Almeida. I wasn't in time to get one of their tickets, so booked my own - what the hey.

On the 16th, comedy with Ahir Shah at Soho Theatre.

On the 17th, a real dose of nostalgia - Mayerling ballet, at the Opera House. My favourite ballet, this was also the last event we attended here with the Man with the Hat. And the second last event ever. At least it'll be less evocative since, for once, I'm sitting facing full-on! He always had us in the slips, so I haven't faced the Opera House stage since I started with his groups! I'd watch it blindfolded just to have him back again, though. We miss you, MwtH.

On the 18th - why, I'm off to Manchester. For U2, unsurprisingly. Yes, I get busier around now as they come around these parts. Taking the train that evening - it was the cheapest, and so much handier than having to make my way to and from airports and watch what I pack! I should arrive walking distance from my hotel, Roomzzz Corn Exchange, which itself is walking distance from the venue, the Manchester Arena. And right beside the shopping centre, apparently! That could be handy.. if only to buy provisions, as this is an aparthotel, so I can cater for myself.

The concerts themselves are on the 19th and 20th. Ironically, the English concerts are the only ones whose tickets are being posted to me - and would you believe it, what with booking them in January and moving in June, I completely forgot to make the connection. So I forgot to update my address with TM. Just remembered at the weekend, by which time it seems they'd already been posted. I've contacted my old flatmates, but the only response I got was from one who's also moved out - happily, TM says, if I contact them that week, they'll void the old tickets and issue new ones that I can pick up at the box office. There's always some palaver on a U2 tour, and this isn't the first time I've had to pick up my tickets in Manchester!! Outside of England, they're all e-tickets..

I take the train back on the 21st. Better not leave it too late, as I've actually booked for the Smithfield & Clerkenwell Walk: Guts & Glory, with Walking in London - but more specifically, with Katie of Look Up London! Excellent - I was booked for this in July, but she had to cancel. She's one of the best around. Should be close enough to me, too, and it doesn't start too early. And it being a Funzing event (like all of Walking in London's) I scoured my old Funzing discount codes, and discovered that Funzing_Fb20 seems to be working again - for all of them I've recently booked! So, a 20% discount - better than any recently offered on their Facebook page.

On the 22nd, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club for Buddha Babies, again at Soho Theatre. Naturally, not advertised on their Meetup group - they have advertised an event this weekend, but of course, I'm out of the country.

On the 23rd & 24th, I don't have to travel so far to see U2 - they're playing the O2 in London. These tickets, I got my address changed in time for, it seems - they're also being posted. Helen is going on the 23rd.. sat in the corporate box, poshly! Nah, I'd rather be closer and sweatier, thanks!

The 25th is my colleague's last day before he quits for a new life in Stockholm - we're headed out that night. Amazing that I still had that day free when we arranged it!

On the 26th, I fly to Belfast. Yep, U2 again. Told ya. Staying in the Crescent Townhouse, walking distance from the SSE Arena, where the concerts take place on the 27th and 28th. On the 29th, I'm taking the train down to my mother for a week - makes more sense than jetting back and forth to her!

On the 5th of next month, I'm back up to Dublin. U2 again, dont'cha know? Staying in the Clayton again, which is a hop, skip and jump from the 3Arena in Dublin, where there are concerts on the 5th and 6th. Would you believe, not even I could swing a ticket for the 5th - well, I'll just rock up on the day, and hopefully I can get something at the box office. I have heard of such things happening. I've had stranger things happen!

On the 7th, I fly back to London (BA) - purely so I can work on the 8th, before flying back to Dublin that night! Was supposed to be Cityjet, but they've now ended their flight schedule after this month - so now I'm going Ryanair. Same hotel, same venue, same band - on the 9th and 10th. I fly back on the 11th, exhausted, and finished with U2 concerts for the year!

On the 12th, I've decided to read myself to a performance of Macbeth, at the Wanamaker Playhouse.

On the 13th, we have our monthly team outing - might only be the two of us, but hey!

On the 14th, back with UITCS at last for Love Lies Bleeding, at the Print Room at the Coronet. Got my ticket from London Theatre Direct.

On the 15th, I'm going to try the Seven Deadly Sins Pub Naughty History Tour. Walking in London again, so discounted again! Then I'm back to Ireland again for the weekend.

On the 19th, News of the Strange, from the Crick Crack Club, at Soho Theatre. Not advertised on their Meetup group, of course.

On the 20th, back with UITCS for Pinter at the Pinter - Pinter plays at the Pinter Theatre. Two long ones on this occasion - this is Programme Four: Moonlight & Night School.

On the 21st, back at last with The London Jazz Meetup, who are off to the London Jazz Festival for a concert by the Faraj Suleiman Quartet at King's Place. UK premiere, apparently!

On the 22nd, with UITCS at the Garrick for Don Quixote. The only cheap tickets left for this were terrible, so I went a bit upmarket. A bit - I'm still behind a pillar!

On the 23rd, I'm on a Paranormal Activity Tour - ooh! Now, for this one, we get ghost-hunting equipment, which could make it interesting - I don't fancy the dowsing rods, myself, but we'll see. Walking in London, again. Discounted, again. And this was after my loyalty discount - so I got it at better than half price! which is good, considering the price.

On the 24th, I'm off on my own to see A Small Place, at the Gate.

On the 25th, back at last to Winter Wonderland! That evening, I'm off to Cirque Berserk - an annual tradition for me. The latest show is the cheapest, so that's the one I booked.

And on the 26th of next month, I'm back with UITCS for Programme Three of Pinter at the Pinter - Landscape / A Kind of Alaska / Monologue.

No comments:

Post a Comment