Saturday 2 March 2019

Restaurant: Little Georgia & Film: Gully Boy

On Thursday, we had our official monthly team social - heading back to Little Georgia for this. My team members had a late meeting - but when I realised this, and checked the reservation, I saw that no later slot was available. I said it to them, and offered to go on ahead to hold the table - but they said no, and cancelled the meeting instead. Another colleague was to join us, but she had a meeting she couldn't cancel - so she was to join us later. And so, off we schlepped - the general consensus was to take a bus if it wasn't too crowded - when one arrived, it was, in fact, completely empty!

A short walk brought us to the restaurant - now, I hadn't noticed before, but it actually has a different name on the sign above it! So that caused some confusion - but the proper name is written on the window. We were slightly early - in fact, they only open at 6, which was the time I'd reserved. And as they were completely empty too, we got seated immediately - as we'd booked for more people than were coming, we moved to a smaller table, and freed some space for them. They always seem to be busy!





With our colleague not due to arrive for a while, and us hungry, we decided to get on with ordering wine and starters. Despite the lack of customers, they were busy on the phones, and it did take some time to get their attention - what the hey, they were attentive enough, and we were soon served our wine. We were, of course, to order so many bottles in the end that the staff wondered whether we'd realised! Yes, we assured them, we do want all of them..and they got finished, too.

I had the same starter as before, and found it spicier than I remembered - but still lovely. My co-worker had cheesebread, which she declared delicious, and da boss - being hungrier than the rest of us - ordered two! One was chicken liver - but the chips proved the absolute sensation of the night, would you believe, with us ordering plate after plate. Gorgeous: it's ages since I had chips as good - crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and as he remarked, the right size and thickness. And with a lovely dip.

Unfortunately, with all those chips, predictably, I did fill myself up a bit. So the beef stew I ordered for my main course, although tasty, was far too much for me. Tons of meat, and a bit salty to eat lots of. Ditto my boss, who couldn't finish his - but he exclaimed that it was just like his granny used to make! and he hasn't had the like in 20 years. So he got that to take away - along with the last plate of chips. And said he'd be back. My co-worker had poussin, which - interestingly - this time came with the sauce on the side.

The colleague who joined late shared some chips - I can't remember what she had for main, but it got finished. She was also the only one to have dessert - and they turned out to have only one dessert! a pear tart, which came with a choice of sides. She chose double cream, which came in a dinky sherry glass. The chat and craic continued for hours - long past the two-hour, official booking time, I'm glad to say! As for advance booking - they were quite empty when we arrived, but completely full around 8pm, emptying out gradually after 9. Wiser, always, to book here.

The drinking in the office continued for hours after - so blogging was out of the question. Yesterday then turned out to be too busy to blog. Last night, I booked with the London European Club, whom I cancelled last week - this time, I was a bit more determined to go to the Scottish Ceilidh. Dancing this time, rather than watching. Gee.. but guess what happened? Well, a team visited from the learning software company we use - their office is close to ours. And yes, he put on a spread to beat even the last one! He's unbelievable, bless 'im. The event was too good to miss - honestly, it's been an exhausting week anyway, and I didn't fancy lepping around, dancing. So I stayed and did that, instead. Too late to blog afterwards, natch.

Today, film - I finally went to Gully Boy, which has been on my radar for a while. A rap film set in Mumbai - so, the Indian equivalent of 8 Mile! Closest showing was in Vue Westfield Stratford City. Well, I had all day. Booked - I thought it was cheaper, but it seems not - still, this afternoon's performance ended up selling out.

I'd have taken buses, but TFL warned of diversions because of a West Ham match that was on today, and I wasn't sure where the new route would take me. So I took the Tube instead, which at least gave me time to eat first - it was fine on the Northern Line, but the Central Line was horribly stuffy, as ever, and standing was quite uncomfortable - the open window provided a welcome draught, but it was still a relief to get off in Stratford. Where I got caught up in a frightful crush of people trying to get out of the station. Then I did something silly, exiting on the side I normally do to go to the theatre, here. Of course, I should have been heading for Westfield! So I had to head all the way back around - then navigate Saturday afternoon crowds - and there was no signposting whatsoever for the cinema! At least Google Maps had some idea - and once I figured out that it was probably upstairs (it's a long time since I was here before - I eventually stumbled across it.

She didn't even swipe my code - just checked the details and pointed me in the right direction. Now, I arrived 25 minutes after the scheduled time - you'd think I'd have missed some of the film..? Not a bit if it - would you believe, there were still 15 minutes of trailers left! That's 40 minutes of ads! I was glad of it on this occasion, but that's just ridiculous. Not to mention the sound seeping through from somewhere - it's just as well this is a pretty loud film! Oh, and not mentioning at all the berk beside me who must take out his phone not once, but twice, to text! I know where I'd like to shove it..

So. This - like 8 Mile - is the story of a poor boy who sees rap as his way out. Unlike 8 Mile, this is set in the Muslim community of Mumbai - "gully" means "street" in Hindi, according to our hero. The luminous Alia Bhatt, always watchable, lights up the screen as his feisty girlfriend.

It's got the gritty backstreets, the lack of opportunities, the unsupportive relatives, the abusive father. An interesting scene has a group of tourists from London being shown through the guy's house as an example of real slum living! one of whom never puts down her selfie stick. Well, I guess, what use would it be if she did? Our would-be rapper compliments one of the tourists on his Nas t-shirt - turns out he's an executive producer on the film! As is Beyoncé.

It's terrific. He's very watchable, and Alia Bhatt is compelling whenever she's onscreen, their secret romance - she's better off than he is, so her family would disapprove - providing plenty of humour. An attractive group of main characters, and really good raps - although I don't speak Hindi - make this a cool film and a great thing to watch. Go see, if rap's your thing. Only quibble was the blasted intermission, an hour in.. short, at least!

Took the bus back - roadworks outside the shopping centre made for terrible delays, so it took forever; I spent so long on the bus that I passed the hour limit for free transfers, so ended up walking the last bit. It wasn't so far, at least, and I did pass a film shoot on Clifton Street. Which was interesting.

Tomorrow, back with Chronicles for his Border London walk! Great - for me, this'll be the third of the four he currently offers. I'm sure I'll make the last one at some stage - he's excellent, both knowledgeable and entertaining. Even though it's supposed to be wet and windy, with Storm Freya! The wind was already rising as I made my way back, this evening.

On Monday, back at last with Crick Crack Club storytelling! This one is Dog Almighty, by Emily Hennessy, at Soho Theatre. Unusually, not sold out yet - but nearly. I accidentally booked a ticket for Waitress for the same night - any takers? :-)

On Tuesday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for A Hundred Words for Snow at Trafalgar Studios. I cancelled the last two I'd booked with this organiser, for drinks at the office, though - d'you think I'll manage to get to this one?! We shall see.

On Wednesday, more Crick Crack! Back to their Archetypes series - taking place at Rich MixLovers & Addicts is a stellar lineup of performers, including my favourite, Clare MurphyDaniel Morden, and TUUP! Highly recommended - again, tickets are still available.

On Thursday, I had booked with UITCS - that poor organiser I keep cancelling - to see Shipwreck, at the Almeida. But it seems my coworker saw it on Monday - and from her description, it sounds a lot less attractive to me than before. Sod it, the company social is the same night - I can do my drinking with da boss in a bar for a change! So I cancelled the play. Anyone want a ticket..? Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

And on the 11th, back with UITCS for Blood Knot at the Orange Tree. Assuming I make it, given that I cancelled the last one I'd booked here, as well..!

No comments:

Post a Comment