Sunday 3 March 2019

Walk: Border London

Today, back with Chronicles for his Border London walk! Great - for me, this'd be the third of the four he currently offers. I'm sure I'll make the last one at some stage - he's excellent, both knowledgeable and entertaining. Even though it was due to be wet and windy, with Storm Freya! The wind was already rising as I made my way back, last night.

Happily, I had the best night's sleep in ages. Gets tricky, with my schedule, you know! Woke just in time, and braved the wind tunnel of East Road - a side-effect of having tall buildings on either side. Caught a bus straight away. However, between me rising a bit later than intended, then the bus being diverted, then horrible traffic on the diversion - I was a bit later than intended in arrival, and the poor chap was left standing in the wind and rain a little longer than need be. Well, more wind than rain really. See, again, I was the only person on the walk..! Ah well, getting used to this. As he remarked, perhaps the title doesn't really grab people, but he was having trouble finding something both descriptive and snappy!

Meandering around the Tower of London, site of so many executions, the scaffold site was quite naturally our first stop. Mind you, we had to give way to another tour group! which was to be a feature of the day. Popular area.


More photos here. Plaques surrounding the site list the more prominent people to be executed on the spot - starting with Bishop Sudbury, killed in the Peasants' Revolt of 1381! I guess they then decided that this was a rather appropriate location..

Our walk then took us through winding routes around the City - passing, as usual, the Church of St. Olave. Well, it's so picturesque..


Naturally for a walk about borders, we got to see a bit of London Wall..


Fascinating part of town, with layer upon layer of history woven in among the office buildings. However, what a day for a walk.. There were stops where I was having trouble standing in one spot! and one of the guide's laminates nearly blew away at one point. Hey-ho, we finished at the lovely church of All Hallows by the Tower, and I think we were both glad to get in from this atrocious weather. Happily, my bus back was free, by virtue of the card reader being broken. Which happens occasionally. And am I glad to be in, and sitting down, dry and warm and fed. Brr.


Tomorrow, back at last with Crick Crack Club storytelling! This one is Dog Almighty, by Emily Hennessy, at Soho Theatre. Unusually, not sold out yet - but nearly. I accidentally booked a ticket for Waitress for the same night - any takers? :-)

On Tuesday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for A Hundred Words for Snow at Trafalgar Studios. I cancelled the last two I'd booked with this organiser, for drinks at the office, though - d'you think I'll manage to get to this one?! We shall see.

On Wednesday, more Crick Crack! Back to their Archetypes series - taking place at Rich MixLovers & Addicts is a stellar lineup of performers, including my favourite, Clare MurphyDaniel Morden, and TUUP! Highly recommended - again, tickets are still available.

On Thursday, I had booked with UITCS - that poor organiser I keep cancelling - to see Shipwreck, at the Almeida. But it seems my coworker saw it on Monday - and from her description, it sounds a lot less attractive to me than before. Sod it, the company social is the same night - I can do my drinking with da boss in a bar for a change! So I cancelled the play. Anyone want a ticket..? Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

And on the 11th, back with UITCS for Blood Knot at the Orange Tree. Assuming I make it, given that I cancelled the last one I'd booked here, as well..!

No comments:

Post a Comment