Monday 4 March 2019

Storytelling: Dog Almighty

Tonight, back at last with Crick Crack Club storytelling! This one was Dog Almighty, by Emily Hennessy, at Soho Theatre. Unusually, not sold out when I checked yesterday - but nearly.

It was a helluva day at work, and I was glad to escape. Escape I did, leaving da boss to clear up yet another mess caused by our antiquated publishing system, which they've been promising us for ages they'd fix. Well, I made it to the theatre early - and to emphasise the fact that they don't let people upstairs before time, they had it roped off! They generally open 10 minutes before time, so I mooched around the lobby in the meantime.. happily, tonight they opened a few minutes early. And this time, being in the first rush, I got a seat in the front row.


With Ben Haggarty MCing as usual, Ms. Hennessy gave us an energetic rendition of about 45 mins' worth of Coyote stories. Not generally my favourite topic - but I can't fault her delivery, the stories mostly separated by a short burst of music. Coyote, the eternal trickster, present at the foundation of the world, and inventor of many things that we use to this day - intentionally or otherwise. Mind you, I was glad when we finished - there are only so many Coyote stories you can take at once, and I found it overly hot. I see the defunct Meetup group's organiser was handing out flyers at the end.

So, a nice short night, and I caught a bus straight away. Where I was soon mesmerised by the trajectory of a fat, ugly spider.. that crawled over to a woman waiting to get off, then up the back of her shoe, then down again. Then it crawled more in my direction. I was more mesmerised than ever when it disappeared entirely..!

Tomorrow, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for A Hundred Words for Snow at Trafalgar Studios. I cancelled the last two I'd booked with this organiser, for drinks at the office, though - d'you think I'll manage to get to this one?! We shall see.

On Wednesday, more Crick Crack! Back to their Archetypes series - taking place at Rich MixLovers & Addicts is a stellar lineup of performers, including my favourite, Clare MurphyDaniel Morden, and TUUP! Highly recommended - again, tickets are still available.

On Thursday, I had booked with UITCS - that poor organiser I keep cancelling - to see Shipwreck, at the Almeida. But it seems my coworker saw it last Monday - and from her description, it sounds a lot less attractive to me than before. Sod it, the company social is the same night - I can do my drinking with da boss in a bar for a change! So I cancelled the play. Anyone want a ticket..? Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

And next Monday, back with UITCS for Blood Knot at the Orange Tree. Assuming I make it, given that I cancelled the last one I'd booked here, as well..!

No comments:

Post a Comment