Saturday 16 March 2019

Play: Home, I'm Darling

Yesterday, I was booked with The London Jazz Meetup, for Janet's Jazz Night with Richie Garrison & Grazina Pukaite, at Jazz Cafe Posk. But you know what? By the time I needed to leave, I was on a roll with work, and really didn't feel like traipsing all the way out past Hammersmith. For something that, to be honest, odds are I'd only be indifferent about anyway. So I cancelled. In fact, realising that I tend to feel that way about this group's Meetups in general, I've now left the group entirely. I don't like going to stuff I'm indifferent about, you know? especially when I have to travel so far for it. Anyway, I got a ton of work done, so am feeling very smug.

Today, I booked - for the first time in ages - with London Social Detours, who had a Plagues, Pestilence, & Pathology Trail. And afterwards, to The George, which is always good. However, this morning, she cancelled, owing to the adverse weather! (To be fair, it is very windy, although the rain has pretty much held off.) Now, she had a plan B, where she was gonna take us to museums and charge us £3 for the privilege. Sorry love, I can go to the museums myself - I cancelled that as well. Payment was supposed to be on the day, so I didn't lose out.

Having a look around for what else was on, I came across Up in the Cheap Seats, who were   headed to Home, I'm Darling, in the Duke of York's Theatre. Well, I had some fun trying to find a decently priced ticket - the venue didn't have any, so I trawled through the resellers. I finally came good with Encore Tickets, with a seat in the very back row! Well, cool - I booked. (By the look of it when I got there, it was completely sold out.) And as it was on a bit later than I'd have had to meet London Social Detours, I went back to bed for a little.

Stopping by the office first - as usual - I microwaved brunch. Which was very nice, except they were testing the blasted fire alarms! So I had that to listen to while I was eating. Never mind, I was on my way out - and that helped me to hurry on my way. Nearly got blown sideways crossing the road, but I made it safely to the theatre, where most of us met in the bar. And I was so glad I'd come - it was great to see people!

My seat was a bit of a clamber, once I got into the Upper Circle:


Mmm yes, fantastic view it was not! although the tall lady sitting in front of me swapped seats with someone shorter at the interval, so it improved. And I have to say, legroom is ok. Now, this is a show about a couple who decide to live by 50s ideals - she quits her job and becomes a stay-at-home housewife, keeping the silverware and taps shining, having his slippers and paper ready for him when he comes home, before his dinner is presented to him. And the stage reflects this idealistic lifestyle, looking like a life-size doll's house, all bright colours and 50s mod-cons. The excellent Katherine Parkinson even opens the front at the beginning, so we can see into the interior! What a shame that people in the back two rows can hardly see anything of the upper floor.. and I heard at the interval that people in the group who were sitting to the left had trouble seeing into the kitchen, where most of the action takes place - especially in the first half. Motto - be careful with sightlines for this play.

Well now, this is a good play! You might predict pretty easily that the 50s ideal isn't going to last - and you'd be right. Sure, she learns to cook, and takes positive pleasure in "cleaning behind things". There's a terrific 50s soundtrack throughout, BTW, and you can see the attraction. (Well, I can't really, because I hate housework.) But the world outside the front door is living quite happily in the present day - and they can't keep it out forever. There's her friend, who doesn't want to do the same, although her husband is keen for her to do so. There's her mother, who is a die-hard feminist herself, and positively ashamed of her daughter! and who has plenty of first-hand horror stories of the 50s to tell her. And there's the question of the mortgage - as we know, you really can't finance a mortgage on just one income, these days.

I can't honestly think of an issue that isn't mentioned in the course of the play, although some are dealt with more thoroughly than others. The contrasts between the 50s and the modern world are constantly explored - hey, in this house, they don't even eat pizza! Feminist themes abound, of course, and it's really interesting to see a young character choose what most feminists would see as a retrograde step. In fact, the first scene of the second half shows how they came to this point - but it is in the second half, of course, that the 50s facade really starts to crumble. Never too serious though, this is excellently played, and I really enjoyed it. Recommended. Running till the 13th.

Afterwards, a small group of us repaired to the Cafe in the Crypt of St. Martin in the Fields! where a few of us had desserts - my chocolate mousse was very nice. And the wine is cheaper - and less insipid - than what I'd had in the theatre. And we chatted while we ate and drank. A lovely time was had by all, in fact!

And tomorrow - which is Paddy's Day - for the first time since I came to London, I'm hitting the London Irish Centre! Their Big Gig is headlined by Kila, who are excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment