Saturday 23 March 2019

Concert: Touts & Inhaler

I'm currently back in Ireland for a long weekend - had holiday days left over from last year that I had to use by the end of this month. Well, that's what the system said..! and who am I to argue? Anyway, when I got back, I heard that Inhaler was playing in Limerick last night. Inhaler, the band fronted by Bono's son, Elijah! Hmm.. ah well now, I could hardly miss the chance to see them live, at last! So I booked a ticket. Seems they're touring the British Isles as support to Touts, a NI punk band.

I decided to eat in Limerick beforehand, so headed in a bit early and made for the Texas Steakout again. I've eaten well there before - last time was over a year ago, though! I parked in Arthur's Quay car park - I see they close at 10 now! but I'd be moving the car after dinner, as I was headed down the Dock Road for the concert. Not much problem getting a space - I suspect the earlier closing time has damaged the car park's popularity.

I had no trouble getting a table in the restaurant, either. Service was quick and friendly, as ever, and I was done and dusted with three courses in about an hour. Mind you, given what I was served, I doubt I'll be back. I recognise that some dishes are probably better than others - but what I was served last night, I wouldn't consider fit to be served to a paying public.

The garlic bread - served, oddly, in a little bucket - was hard as a rock, and about as tasteless. It came with a pot of (non-garlic) mayonnaise, a funny thing to serve with garlic bread - given the toughness of what I was eating though, it was the only thing that made it edible, and I lathered it on. I didn't finish the garlic bread. For my main course, I chose mushroom chicken mushroom - edible, but almost completely bland, and the chicken was quite chewy. Had onion rings - I'd found them tasteless last time, but they were now (along with the button mushrooms) the tastiest part of the meal! 

I didn't finish that either - by the time I'd worked my way through most of the chicken, the rest was cold. At least the chocolate mousse cake was a tasty dessert - and the Chardonnay was all right. But I won't be darkening their doors again. I was glad to leave.

Driving down the Dock Road, I kept my eyes peeled for The Kasbah, and completely missed it. Had to turn around and try again - I caught sight of it on the second pass, and got parking on the side road beside it. It was completely dark, though. I knew doors opened at 8pm, and I made my way down there slightly after that. Entry turned out to be through the adjacent Dolan's pub, and after some great confusion, I found my way through to The Kasbah - they have three music venues on site, but no signposting whatsoever. While I was looking, though, I passed through the dining area at the back of the pub - damnit, I should just have eaten here!

I meandered through to the beer garden, where I followed the sound of live music - that wasn't the Kasbah, but the girl on the door directed me to the black door under the stairs. :-/ Honestly. Could it be more discreet? The girl on the door to that scanned my barcode and gave me an invisible stamp (checkable by UV) and I was in.


More photos (and videos) here. I got a drink, and with all the small tables by the wall occupied, I took a seat at the bar. Unfortunately, all seats were backless stools - which was no good for my bad back! Never mind..

It was perhaps 9.10 when Inhaler finally took the stage - five of them, entering through the crowd. And there was a fair crowd by this time, most standing in the space in front of the stage.


I wasn't the only one taking photos - and I suspect I wasn't the only U2 fan there; I heard Bono's name murmured. They played for about half an hour.. and the verdict? Well, Bono Jr. (centre of this photo) can sing. And they have a good sound. I enjoyed their set - but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy their music. Not yet, anyway - I'm not hearing anything unique coming from them. And Elijah doesn't have anything like the bravura his dad displayed in the early days. Plenty of well wishers congratulated them as they wended their way out again through the crowd - Elijah passed quite near me, seeming quite blase about it all. I wish them all the best.
I left after that, having no real interest in Touts, and since my back was killing me. Passed a trad music group in the bar on the way out! I fly back to London on Monday night, and on Tuesday, Let's Do This just advertised discount tickets for The Crown Dual, in the King's Head! Well yes please, sign me up! And so now I'm going to that.

On Wednesday, back with the Crick Crack Club! This is a performance by Jan Blake, at King's Place - and da boss having liked a clip of hers that he saw previously, he's taking the spare ticket I accidentally booked. Should be a good night.

And on Thursday, our team has our monthly social. This time, we're off to Tas.

No comments:

Post a Comment