Wednesday 27 March 2019

Play: The Crown Dual

For last night, Let's Do This advertised discount tickets for The Crown Dual, in the King's Head! Well yes please, sign me up! And so I went to that. Left a little later than intended -  I could have walked, but decided to take the bus instead, to have as much time as possible there. It does go right past.

In the pub, which is always busy, the group had efficiently managed to snare a table! I was the last to arrive - our organiser kindly surrendered his seat for me. I got a drink, which I didn't have to rush - you can take them in to the show. Indeed, we didn't have long before we went in and took our seats - second row. Of which we were glad, having heard rumours of audience participation. In fact, the front benches were covered in Union Jacks..

It's a two-person, multi-character show. Story goes, this lady was trying out for the role of the Queen in The Crown, but lost out, and has now taken her alternative version to the stage. She is assisted in this valiant endeavour by her trusty agent, who actually spends considerably more time than she does dashing offstage to change costume.

As we were to remark afterwards, so much happens in this that it's quite impossible to capture it all. Now, I haven't watched the series, but was informed by someone who has that they managed to cover the first two seasons. In something over an hour. Golly. At last count, we met the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles, the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, Peter Townsend, Antony Armstrong-Jones, Winston Churchill and Anthony Eden! Oh, and a couple of corgis. And that's not counting the audience participation - mainly for the coronation that forms the climax of the show!

Manic, performed with gusto, this production is absolutely brilliant! The comic timing - both of the actors and of the accompanying musical score - is perfect. The writing sparkles. It's so fast-paced that you miss how good it is - but there's no missing the fact that it's utterly hilarious. Hell, I just put on the National Anthem and started to chuckle.. it's had that effect. Does help if you know some royal history - or have watched the tv series. Caveat: I really do have to warn you - if you're in the front row, you might be subject to some audience participation of a nature that some might find embarrassing. Which is not to say that you're completely safe in the rows further back. You have been warned.

But by all means, rush to this royal audience! Runs till the 6th. Kind of unmissable.

Afterwards, with the pub still busy, we repaired - appropriately - to The Crown, where we had a drink and a convivial chat - even if it did involve collectively shaking our heads at the lunacy that is Brexit! And then I walked back.


Tonight, back with the Crick Crack Club! This is a performance by Jan Blake, at King's Place - and da boss having liked a clip of hers that he saw previously, he's taking the spare ticket I accidentally booked. Should be a good night. And a much-needed break from reality.

Tomorrow, our team has our monthly social. This time, we're off to Tas.

On Friday, The London Art Song and Opera group advertised the opera, Andrea Chénier, at St. John's Waterloo. Hell, they don't make it easy though - if you want the special offer (quoting "MEETUP"), you have to ring. And, as I discovered, when you ring, you will not get an answer. No, you have to leave your name and number and they'll get back to you. When I discovered that there was no way to do this "live", I rang them very late on Saturday night - would you believe, they got back to me on Sunday morning! which was when I discovered that the offer includes a free drink and programme, and that they - ahem - post the tickets to you (!). I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. If it does, that's what I'm doing on Friday.

And on Saturday, back at last with Chronicles, for the last of his walks - this one sounds interesting, being about Rebellious London. And that'll be the last new walk on my list.. so many good walks advertised around London, but I've pretty much done them all by now!

No comments:

Post a Comment