Wednesday 27 February 2019

Ballet: Don Quixote

Heh. You know those plans not to drink last night? Well.. fortunately, I felt better by evening, and by the time da boss invited the UI team to join us. And considering the amount of food he was considerate enough to bring, that's just as well! You couldn't say no. This man knows how to throw a shindig. Now, this was the second day in a row for him, which he finds hard - so we didn't stay as late as usual. Not quite, anyway..

So, I again didn't get enough sleep, and was wrecked all day. Pity, because tonight, I was back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for the opening night of Don Quixote - the ballet this time - at the Royal Opera House. OlĂ©! Anything Spanish is always a winner with me. I hadn't been there in months - I was really lucky to get a reasonably priced ticket, though! London Box Office saved the day - and on this occasion, I was at the same level as everyone else in the group, which was easier than on Monday.

Just made the bus, what with a short jog. An impressively observant driver saw what was going on, when on each of two separate occasions a man entered by the centre doors, then made no effort to come to the front for payment. Until he called them on the tannoy. Nice one.

Well, I see they've finished the work on the Opera House, at last! Impressive new entrance on Bow Street, just south of the existing one there - unfortunately, to get to the box office to collect my ticket, I had to backtrack through a bag check, so I ended up getting checked twice. Never mind. I see they've also now enclosed the balcony, making it more weatherproof - and space in the amphitheatre bar has been greatly improved by opening access to the restaurant at the back. A new cloakroom, beside the bar, serves much better than the rail they had before. And they have a display of Swan Lake costumes!


The group met, and chatted until really loud music signalled our cue to go in. And I was quite impressed with my seat - the most central view I've had in a long time! And an aisle seat, giving me that bit extra space. In the upper amphitheatre, there are no armrests - except on the aisle, so that was nice too!


Beforehand, we expressed the hope that tonight would be better than Monday - which had the same organiser. As I remarked, it could hardly have been much worse! Well, I am delighted to say that this was as good as Monday's was bad - tonight was stunning. A few of our group were later to remark that it was not groundbreaking.. fine by me. Some ground is good to leave unbroken.

A long one tonight - three hours, including two intervals. The first act is particularly long, at 50 minutes. But it didn't feel it.. I was, predictably, entranced by the Spanish melodies. The sightings of Dulcinea, Don Quixote's imaginary lover, are suitably ethereal. The sets are beautiful. And the whole ballet is enthralling - look out, in particular, for the matadors, and the dreamlike second act, where they hang out with flamenco-playing gypsies, and there's a wonderful dream sequence, best viewed from above, as we did. Several comic moments, as you'd expect, with some great, comical choreography. Oh, I can see why this is selling so fast.. runs till the 4th of April, with - at time of writing - all shows sold out on the official website, except for the 1st and 3rd of April. Remaining tickets start at £85. Or you could do as I did, and try the resellers!

Tomorrow, we have our official monthly team social - heading back to Little Georgia for this. I daresay da boss will have recovered.

On Friday, delighted to be headed off with the London European Club, since I cancelled them on Thursday - this time, I'm a bit more determined to go to the Scottish Ceilidh. Dancing this time, rather than watching, eh?

On Saturday, film - I'm finally going to Gully Boy, which has been on my radar for a while. A rap film set in Mumbai - so, the Indian equivalent of 8 Mile! Closest showing is in Vue Westfield Stratford City. Well, I have all day.

On Sunday, back with Chronicles for his Border London walk! Excellent - for me, this'll be the third of the four he currently offers. I'm sure I'll make the last one at some stage - he's excellent, both knowledgeable and entertaining. Even though it's supposed to rain, bah!

On Monday, back at last with Crick Crack Club storytelling! This one is Dog Almighty, by Emily Hennessy, at Soho Theatre. Unusually, not sold out yet. I accidentally booked a ticket for Waitress for the same night - any takers? :-)

On Tuesday, I'm back with UITCS for A Hundred Words for Snow at Trafalgar Studios. I cancelled the last two I'd booked with this organiser, for drinks at the office, though - d'you think I'll manage to get to this one?! We shall see.

Next Wednesday, more Crick Crack! Back to their Archetypes series - taking place at Rich Mix, Lovers & Addicts is a stellar lineup of performers, including my favourite, Clare Murphy, Daniel Morden, and TUUP! Highly recommended - again, tickets are still available.

On the 7th, I had booked with UITCS - that poor organiser I keep cancelling - to see Shipwreck, at the Almeida. But it seems my coworker saw it on Monday - and from her description, it sounds a lot less attractive to me than before. Sod it, the company social is the same night - I can do my drinking with da boss in a bar for a change! So I cancelled the play. Anyone want a ticket..? Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

And on the 11th, back with UITCS for Blood Knot at the Orange Tree. Assuming I make it, given that I cancelled the last one I'd booked here, as well..!

No comments:

Post a Comment