Thursday 14 February 2019

Film: Three Identical Strangers

Tonight, I might have gone with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to Sadler's Wells, for Since She by Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch - they were excellent before. Unfortunately, they were completely sold out by the time I got around to thinking of it. And the London European Club (LEC) was off to an interesting-sounding talk called Refugia: Solving the Problem of Mass Displacement at the LSE - but you know, it was on early, first come first served, and I have so much to do.. I couldn't be bothered rushing. Instead, I thought film again - and the candidate was an interesting-sounding documentary called Three Identical Strangers, about triplets, separated at birth, who met by chance in later life. Only showing at the Curzon Bloomsbury.

Turned out to be a very good thing that I didn't commit myself to something early - we had an all-hands, and then an emergency meeting about the all-hands, all on foot of some dramatic news at work. Basically, we're selling off part of the business. Works out well for the London office - certainly for my department, which can now concentrate on one product instead of two. Anyway, it was also good to get some more work done before I left.

Heading for the bus, I saw one at the stop. I didn't run, though - I figured I'd never get there in time, plus there was something suspicious about the recovery vehicle parked behind it, with flashing lights. Sure enough, turned out it was broken down - but another was along quickly, and I just made the cinema in time, arriving during the trailers. Yay, again I didn't have to push past anyone - and yay, I'd forgotten the Pullman seats, which recline automatically when you sit down. Lovely.

Of all the doc trailers I've seen recently, this surely looked the most entertaining. And so it proves - the story of triplets who find each other as adults is truly remarkable. We learn early on that one has committed suicide by now - the other two are entertaining to listen to. Interviewed separately to begin with, when they combine towards the end of the film, they display a touching closeness. As one of them describes, however, the same wasn't true of their birth mother, whom they traced but didn't really feel a connection with.

How they met is a phenomenal story. And seeing the tv footage, I'm sure I remember some of it from back in the day. Funny to see how they embraced fame - they had a cameo in Desperately Seeking Susan! They subsequently opened a restaurant - Triplets - which they ran themselves. Closed now. But their story, as told by the surviving brothers and the wives of all three, as well as a couple of friends, is compelling. Less successful is the description of the clinical study that was the reason for their separation in the first place! Yes, they were placed with three separate families of different socioeconomic groups, to see whether they'd develop differently. An experiment in nature vs nurture.. during the film, we learn how the organisation responsible was reluctant to let them see their records, but relented on foot of this film. Results, however, were inconclusive - and when it was explained to the brothers what the experiment was for, one of them said he felt like a lab rat. Seems the experiment died a death when they accidentally met.

Really interesting film, with a great soundtrack from the 70s and 80s - go see. And although it started a lot later, it was also a lot shorter than last night's - so I got back a lot earlier. Oh and yes, the broken-down bus was still there. I was thinking of film for the rest of the week, too - but the offerings at the top of the list weren't that attractive. Instead, the World Music Meetup is coming to my rescue with three gigs in a row at The London Jukebox, not so far away. Having been to a gig with this organiser before, I'm not expecting to meet anyone - but the music sounds good to me. Tomorrow is Rum Buffalo.

Saturday is Mario Bakuna and Edmundo Carneiro - and is seated, happily.

Sunday is Roda de Choro with Alvorada.

Monday and Tuesday, I'm back with UITCS. Monday is Tartuffe, by Molière, at the National.

Tuesday is a show called Bare: A Pop Opera, at The Sainsbury Theatre.

On Wednesday, I'm back with Let's Do This for another meal at Tas, meeting at The George again beforehand.

Next Thursday, I'd have loved to go with UITCS for Season 7, the last of Pinter at the Pinter. Unfortunately, when I checked, although they still had tickets - they were either standing or a minimum price of £93 for that night. Nah, don't really want to go that badly! Never mind, the LEC is off to a concert of French Chansons: The Sparrows of Paris, at Old Mary's. That's a most acceptable choice! Then I'm back to Ireland at the weekend again.

And on the 25th, I am back with UITCS to Sadler's Wells for Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch! This time though, it's Bon Voyage, Bob. And with cheaper tickets in the back row of each of the lower levels, I'm in the stalls for the first time in ages! Annoying overhang, but hey, they're the cheapest seats, and I get to avoid all those stairs, for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment