Saturday 23 February 2019

Abbey Tavern

I'm currently back to Ireland for the weekend again. We don't get to the Abbey Tavern so regularly any more - my mother isn't up to it. But every now and again we do - in particular, there's a particular guy that delivers stuff to her, and she's not available to pay him, so he goes away without. But he goes to this pub, so she takes an envelope of cash there and leaves it behind the bar.

Parking can be a problem - luckily, we got a space not too far away. And although there was a christening (there often is a function here), they either weren't eating, or had finished, and the dining area was pretty empty. We got a table no problem. And as ever, the atmosphere was great, the staff was friendly, and service was quick - important, as we were headed to Mass afterwards.

Garlic bread for a starter, as usual - somewhat burnt, unfortunately, but otherwise tasty. My mother had the salmon, as usual, and had no complaints. Me though, I decided to go for one of the daily specials - and had we not gone, I'd planned to have a curry: so when I saw a chicken Madras on the menu, I decided to go for that. Comes with boiled white rice.

Gorgeous. If you see it here, do take it - it's so, so tasty. Should really come with a spoon though, so you can mix the sauce and rice - there was no easy way to get the rice into the bowl, or the sauce onto the plate - the bowl had no spout, and was so hot that I kept burning my fingers! Managed it, only making a slight mess, and had the loveliest meal in a while. Decent portions, too. Yum. Gorgeous Chardonnay to go with it. Ah, this place is terrific at its best..

On Monday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to Sadler's Wells for Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch! Missed their last performance - this time though, it's Bon Voyage, Bob. And with cheaper tickets in the back row of each of the lower levels, I'm in the stalls for the first time in ages! Annoying overhang, but hey, they're the cheapest seats, and I get to avoid all those stairs, for once. Well, except that the group is meeting all the way upstairs. Ugh. We shall see.

On Tuesday - as if we weren't drinking enough - the UI team has arranged drinks with us! Well, with da boss - I assume I'll be invited if I'm around. And you know, these drinks are worth going to. So I'll be around. Long live better office relations!

On Wednesday, back with UITCS for the opening night of Don Quixote - the ballet this time - at the Royal Opera House. Olé! Expecting a lovely, spirited, Spanish evening. I haven't been there in months - I was really lucky to get a reasonably priced ticket, though! London Box Office saved the day - and on this occasion, I'm at the same level as everyone else in the group, which should be easier.

On Thursday, we have our official monthly team social - heading back to Little Georgia for this.

And on Friday, delighted to be headed off with the London European Club, since I cancelled them on Thursday - this time, I'm a bit more determined to go to the Scottish Ceilidh. Dancing this time, rather than watching, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment