Monday 11 February 2019

Play: The Price

On Thursday, I was booked for Aspects of Love, at Southwark Playhouse, with Up in the Cheap Seats. Based on an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. And on the event organiser's recommendation, I bought a subscription to the theatre, which entitles me to five tickets, and has no time limit - used the first for that. Of course.. predictably.. I ended up drinking in the office instead. Well, it was the date of the monthly work social - we just had our own, more exclusive, social.

Then I was back to Ireland for the weekend. Tonight, I was with the same group, for another Arthur Miller play - this time, it was The Price, at Wyndham's, starring David Suchet. A few people from last Wednesday going to that as well. Oh, and for both of these, I could have used my Seatplan vouchers, which arrived recently. If I'd had them with me. Never mind - I hadn't been expecting to book so much so soon, but they don't expire anyway.

Well, da boss is away this week - which means I'm actually likely to make the things I've booked! That's reassuring. I also made an early bus - saw it coming as I was waiting to cross the road, but wouldn't you know it, the traffic lights then turned red! So I legged it, and just made it. Without (quite) having a cardiac arrest.



I knew my way, walking the last bit - used to work just around the corner, after all! Arriving at the theatre nice and early, I managed to slip in without a bag check (well, my bag was suitably small anyway). There was some fun trying to collect my ticket, as the website had - despite my best efforts - retained my old address. Well, I remembered enough of it to satisfy them - and as I turned from the desk, there were a couple of the group, sat waiting in the lobby. They hadn't been letting people upstairs yet, it seemed. Mind you, then another arrived and was upgraded - and when one of the others heard this, she asked, and got the same! Jealous, me.. apparently they were choosing people at random. And (knowing what a large group she was with) he told her she was to be the last. So that was that, then!

Soon after, we asked again and were let upstairs to the Balcony bar, where we were to meet officially. Handy for those several of us who had seats up there - not so much for people who'd been upgraded, and had to head down again at showtime. Never mind. In due course, more of our group arrived, and fairly filled the end of the bar! Much of the chat, mind you, was about last night's BAFTAs - personally, I think the big surprise was the choice of Roma for best picture. Certainly a good film, a memorable film - but the best of the lot? Well, it was an interesting choice. I did approve of the rest of the winners - most of which I've seen by now!

In the midst of all this, I was sat opposite a couple of boxes of Maltesers - it was inevitable that I'd eventually buy one to go with my reasonably priced wine. After all, I'd neglected to eat coming out - we had an early start, as it was press night. My seat was decently placed - the security rail wasn't as intrusive as it looks in the picture, since the seat to my right was free, so I could lean that way. Also very handy for leaving my things on. Mind you, at this level, you do tend to feel as though you're leaning over the stage..



Brendan Coyle is actually the first on stage. He plays a cop, about to retire - the house he grew up in is about to be demolished, and he wants the junk cleared. So he's arranged for an antiques dealer (David Suchet) to come and appraise the stuff, hopefully take it off his hands. Honestly, the only bit of the show that dragged for me was the opening half hour or so, where it's just him reminiscing with his wife, waiting for the dealer's arrival. Dear me, I was beginning to wonder whether I was wise to come! Things developed nicely though once the dealer arrived, with a comical turn of phrase that was very entertaining.

At the interval, the group's opinions were - again - mixed. The second half is less comical, as David Suchet takes a back seat, and we learn the intricacies of the family relationships of these characters, with an explosive climax. As someone remarked at the end, it is very nuanced, our sympathies switching back and forth as characters reveal themselves to be alternately heroes or villains. And we're left at the end with a number of points to ponder - about the price of decisions, and the true value of what's gone before. Rather excellent, I decided - booking till the 27th of April.

Afterwards, we stood on the pavement and - dithered - for a full half hour about whether to cross the road to the Hippodrome for drinks. With many concluding that it was too early in the week - what with all they had booked in the next few days - nobody at all ended up going. Ah well.

Tomorrow, Let's Do This is off to Tango Fire at the Peacock. They booked a box, so had a very limited number of seats, and I wasn't in time for theirs - but I got my own ticket, and will meet them for a drink afterwards in the Princess Louise.

And a double irony - I have less booked for this week than many of those I was speaking to, tonight! And it's a week when, as I say, I have fewer distractions than recently. Never fear, watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment